Top Guitar Riffs

RickMcD

Talking about music, as we were in another place, I know Radio 2 is too old hat for most of our readers but I thought their poll of riffs might have attracted a bit of attention. No.1 was Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love'. I was slightly surprised until I listened to it again. Jimmy Page is a genius.

No.2 Sweet Child O'Mine Guns N' Roses

No.3 Back in Black AC/DC

No 4 Smoke On The Water Deep Purple

No 5 Derek and the Dominoes Layla

I suppose these things are subjective but that's not a bad first five. There really is some great music in that top 100.

Will somebody to Rick tae Copy and Paste ?

Honest, I've tried and failed. My kids get fed up showing me things on the computer and then watch me buggering it up. I'll get another lesson and try awfy hard. Thanks to HSS for posting the full list. Hard to pick a favourite never mind top five.

Should have included Here Comes Your Man by the Pixies.

A great wee riff running through the track.

Don't Fear the Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult) was always a favourite back in the day, or Run to You by Bryan Adams not for the songs as such, but the catchy guitar riffs.

ETA: I should qualify this by saying that I played these on the guitar when I were a lad, but would never have bought the singles....

Still playing the Pixies, though - as recently as last night!

Edited by Drew

Think the list says a lot more about Radio 2 listeners than it does about decent riffs.

Aye, was thinking much the same. I suppose there is the matter of accessibility.

One of the most iconic riffs for me is Hurt, by the 9 Inch Nails, but it was never likely to feature on there.

Just for clarity, a list of 100 riffs drawn up by a panel* of Radio 2 and 6 Music DJs, critics and record producers. BBC Radio 2 listeners then voted on 'the list'.

*A panel of guitar music experts, made up of Radio 2 presenters, music critics and record producers were selected to pick the 100 guitar riffs, they are: Janice Long – Radio 2 Presenter, Bob Harris – Radio 2 Presenter, Richard Allison - Radio 2 Presenter, Gideon Coe – 6 Music Presenter, Steve Levine – Music Producer, Paul Sexton – Music journalist and broadcaster, Sunday Times, Radio 2, Sian Llewellyn – Editor, Classic Rock Magazine.

As things stand I can play 54, make an rse of 12, with the other 34 It's like I'm wearing boxing gloves.

Just for clarity, a list of 100 riffs drawn up by a panel* of Radio 2 and 6 Music DJs, critics and record producers. BBC Radio 2 listeners then voted on 'the list'.

*A panel of guitar music experts, made up of Radio 2 presenters, music critics and record producers were selected to pick the 100 guitar riffs, they are: Janice Long – Radio 2 Presenter, Bob Harris – Radio 2 Presenter, Richard Allison - Radio 2 Presenter, Gideon Coe – 6 Music Presenter, Steve Levine – Music Producer, Paul Sexton – Music journalist and broadcaster, Sunday Times, Radio 2, Sian Llewellyn – Editor, Classic Rock Magazine.

As things stand I can play 54, make an rse of 12, with the other 34 It's like I'm wearing boxing gloves.

As a famous man once said, I'd give my right hand to be able to play the guitar properly.

As a famous man once said, I'd give my right hand to be able to play the guitar properly.

Indeed Rick! tongue.png

Getting good with some of these riffs is all about working your chops. Speed alone isn't the issue, barre chords alone aren't the issue, neither is moving up and down the fretboard, but putting all three together consistently needs some serious practice hours, especially sober! Not that I'm suggesting some of the greatest guitarists took a drink!

Indeed Rick! tongue.png

Getting good with some of these riffs is all about working your chops. Speed alone isn't the issue, barre chords alone aren't the issue, neither is moving up and down the fretboard, but putting all three together consistently needs some serious practice hours, especially sober! Not that I'm suggesting some of the greatest guitarists took a drink!

And then there is thinking about what to do with your right hand (unless, of course, it is otherwise engaged....).

Funnily enough, I just caught a bit of the Radio Shortbread John Beattie show in the car, and they are discussing how to keep feeling young. Plenty of suggestions that either taking up a musical instrument or picking it up again is a good option.

I've just joined a band with a mate and others (now mates also), though, bizarrely, I'm singing (after a fashion), and only occasionally get to stroke my axe. Its early days, and just consists of belting out some covers, but we're getting a genuine buzz out of it. A wee bit off from gigging, but that's the plan eventually (parties, pubs etc., as opposed to three dates at the Hydro). We aren't taking ourselves too seriously, but are working hard to get it to sound decent, and I do believe that it is has great therpeautic value. We meet in the pub from time to time to discuss tracks to learn (any excuse), but it makes for a healthy and creative change from only getting together with mates in the boozer.

For anyone who just sits at home and strums away - though there is a lot to be said for that - I would suggest that it is never too late to think about forming a band, if only to get the buzz from playing with others (MATRON!). We are all in our 40s and 50s, incidentally.

Edited by Drew

And then there is thinking about what to do with your right hand (unless, of course, it is otherwise engaged....).

Funnily enough, I just caught a bit of the Radio Shortbread John Beattie show in the car, and they are discussing how to keep feeling young. Plenty of suggestions that either taking up a musical instrument or picking it up again is a good option.

I've just joined a band with a mate and others (now mates also), though, bizarrely, I'm singing (after a fashion), and only occasionally get to stroke my axe. Its early days, and just consists of belting out some covers, but we're getting a genuine buzz out of it. A wee bit off from gigging, but that's the plan eventually (parties, pubs etc., as opposed to three dates at the Hydro). We aren't taking ourselves too seriously, but are working hard to get it to sound decent, and I do believe that it is has great therpeautic value. We meet in the pub from time to time to discuss tracks to learn (any excuse), but it makes for a healthy and creative change from only getting together with mates in the boozer.

For anyone who just sits at home and strums away - though there is a lot to be said for that - I would suggest that it is never too late to think about forming a band, if only to get the buzz from playing with others (MATRON!). We are all in our 40s and 50s, incidentally.

Brilliant Drew, more power to you.

And for anyone actually thinking of starting guitar from scratch, and largely due to the internet, it really is not the challenge it once was.... there's a good story told by Paul McCartney about the Beatles travelling to Bootle to meet some bloke to teach them the B7 chord cool2.gif

There are of course millions of 'online teachers' but recommendations would be people like Justin Sandercoe and Marty Schwartz. Sandercoe in particular as he covers beginners (and I mean right down to his recommendations on buying starter kit) to advanced players, and his entire offerings on line are free.

Brilliant Drew, more power to you.

And for anyone actually thinking of starting guitar from scratch, and largely due to the internet, it really is not the challenge it once was.... there's a good story told by Paul McCartney about the Beatles travelling to Bootle to meet some bloke to teach them the B7 chord cool2.gif

There are of course millions of 'online teachers' but recommendations would be people like Justin Sandercoe and Marty Schwartz. Sandercoe in particular as he covers beginners (and I mean right down to his recommendations on buying starter kit) to advanced players, and his entire offerings on line are free.

Aye, as you say, the net makes learning guitar (and individual tracks) so much more straightforward than it once was.

I had always been determined to learn May You Never by John Martyn but never had the time sit down and work it out by ear. I then found Youtube footage of a guy basically walking you through every chord shape, thumb slap, and finger pick. After an hour or two, I had the basics and could then practice getting it right. Still a tough one to play (and especially difficult to play and sing at the same time, which is testimony to how talented Martyn was), but from probably never getting round to learning it, I was able to at least give it a reasonable shot.

I've also got an app for my tablet that searches lyrics, lets you store them in folder/setlists, and even scrolls down the lyric of a song as it is played.

Aye, it was jumpers for goalposts an old tape deck and cramp in the index finger from hitting play, pause and rewind back in my day!

Edited by Drew

Point one - it's a subjective matter obviously. Point two - any '100 greatest guitar riffs' list that doesn't include 'Barracuda' by Heart is to be ridiculed and beaten over the head with a large heavy stick.

Edit: The version featuring Alice In Chains with country singer Gretchen Wilson taking lead vocal is top drawer. Heart's Nancy Wilson features on guitar too. Play loud, very loud...

Edited by pozbaird

Quality poz. Alice in chains have at least handful of their own riffs that could be in a top 100...wellmine anyway!

Indeed. 'Man in the Box' for starters. Another one I noticed in the list was 'Down Down' by Quo. Now, I like a bit of Quo, but if one Quo riff makes it into a top 100 list, surely to goodness it would be 'Caroline'? The intro and then the full riff is one of rock music's great moments.