Top Guitar Riffs

RickMcD

Guest TPAFKATS

I've had a read through the list and although I agree with a lot of the artists, I would with most of them (Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Gun's N Roses, Aerosmith for example), almost certainly have picked a different tune.

Cannonball by The Breeders is an exception to this though!

How did Every Breathe You Take get in there!!!

Nobody needs to teach Jimmy Page how to copy & paste..................

How unlike you to think the worst of someone. This has raised its head often before. Anyone can hear a bit of similarity but copy and paste? I should have added Stairway to Heaven in case anyone didn't know. I'm no expert but was there not talk of a court case about it? And is it a riff? I'm not being a smartass about that because I don't know the answer. I'm not sure the repetition element is there. Isn't riff based on Ostinato?

How unlike you to think the worst of someone. This has raised its head often before. Anyone can hear a bit of similarity but copy and paste? I should have added Stairway to Heaven in case anyone didn't know. I'm no expert but was there not talk of a court case about it? And is it a riff? I'm not being a smartass about that because I don't know the answer. I'm not sure the repetition element is there. Isn't riff based on Ostinato?

Your standard reply, anyway riff or not you recognized the choon which says it all really...........

Your standard reply, anyway riff or not you recognized the choon which says it all really...........

I recognised it because I was aware of the controversy. If it hadn't been pointed out to me I don't know that I would have recognised the similarity. It's easy possibly for those who have an ear for music and I certainly don't. There are many pieces of music which might sound vaguely similar but it doesn't always indicate plagiarism.

Point one - it's a subjective matter obviously. Point two - any '100 greatest guitar riffs' list that doesn't include 'Barracuda' by Heart is to be ridiculed and beaten over the head with a large heavy stick.

Edit: The version featuring Alice In Chains with country singer Gretchen Wilson taking lead vocal is top drawer. Heart's Nancy Wilson features on guitar too. Play loud, very loud...

seriously?

its just a run of the mill "rock" song....nothing extreme or interesting to be seen here im afraid ( although the singer is hot,takes the bad look away from a shit song)

I recognised it because I was aware of the controversy. If it hadn't been pointed out to me I don't know that I would have recognised the similarity. It's easy possibly for those who have an ear for music and I certainly don't. There are many pieces of music which might sound vaguely similar but it doesn't always indicate plagiarism.

Wriggle away...................

Guest TPAFKATS

well I clicked on the taurus youtube and after a minute I decided to remind myself how swamp thing sounded and clicked on the Grid youtube link.

Somehow managed to have them mixed together which was nice...rock on!

Indeed. 'Man in the Box' for starters. Another one I noticed in the list was 'Down Down' by Quo. Now, I like a bit of Quo, but if one Quo riff makes it into a top 100 list, surely to goodness it would be 'Caroline'? The intro and then the full riff is one of rock music's great moments.

Just as a thought Poz, why don't we have a forum Yes or No poll and debate on whether 'Caroline' should have been included?

Actually, on reflection, phuck that idea all ends up! whistling.gif

Just as a thought Poz, why don't we have a forum Yes or No poll and debate on whether 'Caroline' should have been included?

Actually, on reflection, phuck that idea all ends up! whistling.gif

I'm sure Plan B must have a riff in one of his songsph34r.png

mostly populist crap on that list, you can see that the "panel" are the same people who do the playlists for the BBC 4 Friday night programmes.

i suppose it is all subjective, great as it is, is Ma Ma Belle jeff Lynne's best moment (especially since Marc Bolan did the fills on that one) Surely the riffs on 10538 overture, poker or even Rockaria are more memorable. Money for nothing? i'd take solid rock or tunel of love over that. Joe walsh did better work on walk-away or rocky mountain way as well.

seriously?

its just a run of the mill "rock" song....nothing extreme or interesting to be seen here im afraid ( although the singer is hot,takes the bad look away from a shit song)

It was a list of 100 greatest guitar riffs. Aye, seriously, I think 'Barracuda' is a classic rock riff.... better than some in the list, oh, let's say 'Every Breath You Take', which for all its' merit as a classic song, is hardly one of the 100 greatest guitar riffs!

Was there any Judas Priest in the list either? No 'Hellion/Electric Eye' 'You Got Another Thing Coming', no 'Living After Midnight'.....

Edited by pozbaird

• 1 year later...