Sir Thomas Hendrie

shull

Is the new manager of Junior outfit , Whitburn.

Best of luck to a St Mirren Legend.

I would have him back as our Manager in the future.

God bless him.

When you think of the press creaming themselves over teams being set up to play the 3 central defenders with 2 wing backs system today he was a visionary. What a wonderful season he gave us (although best to forget about the Prem year).

When you think of the press creaming themselves over teams being set up to play the 3 central defenders with 2 wing backs system today he was a visionary. What a wonderful season he gave us (although best to forget about the Prem year).

There's no doubt mistakes were made in 2000/01, the prime one being wasting too much time on wasters up-front like Fenton & Renfurm in place of Mark Yardley but the real reason for our relegation was the disparity in budgets between ourselves and the rest of the teams in the division - we were the only team not to lose money that season!

Edited by Bud the Baker

99/00 season was the best ive ever seen as a saints supporter (being 29 years old) the football we played, amounts of goals scored and entertaining games involved in will take some beating, for that alone Tom Hendrie is a st mirren legend to me.

as for the follwoing season? 00/01 we were a victim of being a properly run club, teams like killie, motherwell, dundee, dundee utd etc etc were spending millions they didnt have on players.

After that season i think his stubborness took over, and things just didnt work out

99/00 season was the best ive ever seen as a saints supporter (being 29 years old) the football we played, amounts of goals scored and entertaining games involved in will take some beating, for that alone Tom Hendrie is a st mirren legend to me.

as for the follwoing season? 00/01 we were a victim of being a properly run club, teams like killie, motherwell, dundee, dundee utd etc etc were spending millions they didnt have on players.

After that season i think his stubborness took over, and things just didnt work out

In all my years of supporting Saints, seeing the team reach three Scottish Cup semis in a row, playing in Europe, being a top five club, actually competing for the title, eventually winning the Cup in '87, season 1999/2000 is the best season I've EVER known, and probably always will be. I can still name all the scores and if pushed, probably in chronological order.

The following season was awful and it was clear from reading the press that we weren't welcome in the big league. But what goes around comes around and all that, what with finances of certain other clubs these days.

Good luck to TH; he'll be a legend in my eyes for a long time yet.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

One thing that sticks out in my mind about the premier league season was one game an Dens. Corner to Dundee right in front of us and Claudio Cannigia World Cup winner with Argentina was being marked by Scott Walker free transfer from the 'shire. We were NEVER going to stay up.

To echo Hhibss earlier comments...the buzz of the previous season will probably never be topped in my lifetime and TH will always be a hero to me.

One thing that sticks out in my mind about the premier league season was one game an Dens. Corner to Dundee right in front of us and Claudio Cannigia World Cup winner with Argentina was being marked by Scott Walker free transfer from the 'shire. We were NEVER going to stay up.

To echo Hhibss earlier comments...the buzz of the previous season will probably never be topped in my lifetime and TH will always be a hero to me.

And yet had St Mitten managed to keep Junior Mendes that season we might well have stayed up.

Hendrie, for me, is up there with Ferguson and Clunie. The fact that St Mitten directors ultimately f**ked up in their handling of all three speaks volumes.

And yet had St Mitten managed to keep Junior Mendes that season we might well have stayed up.

Hendrie, for me, is up there with Ferguson and Clunie. The fact that St Mitten directors ultimately f**ked up in their handling of all three speaks volumes.

Yeah because Mendes made such a big difference to Dunfermline that year!

Yeah because Mendes made such a big difference to Dunfermline that year!

Mendes was a key player for us in 99/00 his pace gave us an out ball from defence (forgive the jargoneeze) especially corners where if he didn't get to the ball first he was usually quick enough to prevent the ball being put straight back in to the box, he could have made the difference for us the following season in the SPL however he went to Dunfermline where he not a success. For teams at our level it's all about finding the correct blend of players who can be more than the sum of the individual parts, we didn't have the biggest budget in Div. 1 in 99/00 but we still won - the bubble didnae burst and who knows if keeping Mendes would have made the difference - mibbes aye, mibbes naw!*

* - The first time I recollect this phrase being used was by a minor Scots character in an early episode of Minder.

That is actually one of the funniest comments I've seen on here, just burst out laughing in work! Would be like Barry Lavety trying to put Carles Puyol. lol.gif

It was perfectly deliberate. I was a St Mirren supporter back then, as passionate as any on here. It was the way his sacking was handled that lost the club my support

Unless He Get's a Comp - He will Not Pay Stewart Gilmour's Shit Football Team Anything, DicHead's Cash Goes Rupert Murdochs Way ?

post-8992-0-03502600-1410482903_thumb.jp

The Gravay Train is about to Hit the Buffers ? punk.gif

It was perfectly deliberate. I was a St Mirren supporter back then, as passionate as any on here. It was the way his sacking was handled that lost the club my support

No, it wasn't, it was you getting told to take a hike by the club over some rip off business proposal and your subsequent throwing of your toys out the pram that led to you claiming to no longer support St Mirren.

And you've been trolling the forum with your tedious shite ever since.

Time to move on old man!

No, it wasn't, it was you getting told to take a hike by the club over some rip off business proposal and your subsequent throwing of your toys out the pram that led to you claiming to no longer support St Mirren.

And you've been trolling the forum with your tedious shite ever since.

Time to move on old man!

You know, in a forum where threats of litigation are scattered around quite liberally you really ought to think yourself lucky that I'm quite a laid back chap. However to put you right - the "rip of business proposal" you refer to me was actually something I had looked into and trialled in a bid to assist St Mirren raise money to seat the Love Street terrace during the 1999-2000 season. The proposal was that I would give the club 33% ownership of my company for free. That business, which I ran on a part time basis, would go on to turn good profits every single year that I ran it and when the time was right I sold the business on. I am told that the guy who bought it from me then went on to make a very good profit indeed from selling a part of it to Yahoo - how true that is I don't know, but fair play to the guy if it is true. He had the contacts and I didn't.

The details of that meeting with Gilmour and McAusland in February 2000 have been done to death and anyone who wants to know about it will no doubt find the information somewhere on this forum. A brief summary though was that Gilmour believed that a post I made about the club finances on the SaintsOnline Guestbook was far too accurate to be a guess. He believed someone from inside the bank had to have leaked the information to me. He called in a Clydesdale Bank manager supposedly to start an internal investigation from within the bank. Ultimately, it transpired that the story wasn't all that accurate at all and if an investigation did happen they'd have found out that I did nothing illegal. At the end of that meeting Gilmour told me he wouldn't work with me because I was a loose cannon. Fair enough. However a few weeks later I received a phone call from another - then guestbook user - saying that Gilmour had sent my business plan to him because St Mirren wanted him to do it for the club and he was asking me how you do it. They were told where to go. Obviously by this point Gilmour and McAusland were not my favourite people.

After that meeting I continued to support St Mirren and bought a season ticket for seasons 2000-1, 2001-2 and 2002 -3 and I continued to go to all matches home and away as I had done since 1978. However after the mis-handling of the sacking of Tom Hendrie I renounced my support for the club.

As for websites, I used the official St Mirren website until I was banned for pointing out that singing "f**k the Pope and f**k the Queen" was sectarian. I then moved to Pie and Bovril where I posted exclusively for around 4 years. I was eventually banned when "Thunder Monkey" incorrectly deemed that my comparison of the behaviour of rioters and mobsters in London and Egypt to the behaviour of primates, to be a racist post. :rolleyes: Then after that I started to post on here. So you are completely incorrect that I've been posting on this forum since that meeting with Gilmour in 2000.

As for websites, I used the official St Mirren website until I was banned for pointing out that singing "f**k the Pope and f**k the Queen" was sectarian. I then moved to Pie and Bovril where I posted exclusively for around 4 years

See now that's a partial and misleading account of why you were banned from the official site - there were two long running threads (each 20 odd pages or about 500 posts long if memory serves) that deteriorated into abuse the way they often do rolleyes.gif. These threads were closed and the topic declared off limits - you were banned after a number of public warnings (and no doubt many more private ones) for hijacking other threads in an attempt to revive the debate.

Your repeated claim of victimization with regards to being banned from the OS is one reason, amongst others, why in a dispute between you and any other user of this site my inclination is to believe the other poster.

My favourite season too. Went to the POTY at the Normandy at the end of season and Tom Hendrie described the season in quarters with the final one being 24 out of 24 points. He refused to count the Inverness game. Some run. Some season

That was the one and only time that I was in Inverness to see us.

I loved it that day.

Hendrie's speech after the match was fantastic.