The Tommy Craig Must Go Thread

Flareybob

As has been said, he's not up to the job and needs to go asap. I'm not particularly comfortable typing that, but it's as a clear as day that there needs to be a change from a footballing point of view. The BoD have a decision to make and the timing of it will be important. He's going to go at some point, whether it be today, this week, next week or next month. If the BoD leave it for a while, all they are going to do is to stoke up anger and resentment amongst the fans.

Against my better judgement, I was there on Saturday and it really was depressing. All the signs of an unhappy, unmotivated squad are there and plain to see. It is scarily reminiscent of the Coughlin era. Hamilton will have much less of player budget than us, yet you can see they are well coached and well drilled. If Tommy's main strength is coaching, why do we look like a team that has no obvious shape or pre-determined pattern of play? It all looks so aimless and smacks of a team that is hoping that something happens without having any idea of how to make things happen.

Playing Baird & Mallan was either brave or desperate, and it proved to be the latter. Both boys are blameless, as they were put into a struggling team, playing away from home. I'm puzzled that youngsters like Williams & Brown are on the bench most weeks, but when he decides to start two youngsters, he picks a different two!? It would be natural for Williams & Brown (and he rest of the squad) to be wondering what happened there.

It's a wee thing, but I thought it spoke volumes about the mood amongst some of the players on Saturday. I think we're all well used to players mucking about at half time, while the other team goes through some sort of organised warm up. On Saturday, the three youngsters half heartedly kicked the ball about amongst themselves, Ball & Marwood came out later and passed the ball for a couple of minutes, then Marwood went and sat in the dugout and spoke to Kello. The whole feeling was that none of them could really bothered, and that's the atmosphere that is pervading the club at the moment.

Mr Gilmour must be regretting his 'knicker wetters' comment earlier in the season. That, and Tommy's "nothing" comment, send a message that the fans should turn up, pay their money and get on with it. Like an increasing number of others, I don't think that's remotely good enough anymore.

That comment is applicable to the Club as a whole right now, not just the team.

As has been said, he's not up to the job and needs to go asap. I'm not particularly comfortable typing that, but it's as a clear as day that there needs to be a change from a footballing point of view. The BoD have a decision to make and the timing of it will be important. He's going to go at some point, whether it be today, this week, next week or next month. If the BoD leave it for a while, all they are going to do is to stoke up anger and resentment amongst the fans.

Against my better judgement, I was there on Saturday and it really was depressing. All the signs of an unhappy, unmotivated squad are there and plain to see. It is scarily reminiscent of the Coughlin era. Hamilton will have much less of player budget than us, yet you can see they are well coached and well drilled. If Tommy's main strength is coaching, why do we look like a team that has no obvious shape or pre-determined pattern of play? It all looks so aimless and smacks of a team that is hoping that something happens without having any idea of how to make things happen.

Playing Baird & Mallan was either brave or desperate, and it proved to be the latter. Both boys are blameless, as they were put into a struggling team, playing away from home. I'm puzzled that youngsters like Williams & Brown are on the bench most weeks, but when he decides to start two youngsters, he picks a different two!? It would be natural for Williams & Brown (and he rest of the squad) to be wondering what happened there.

It's a wee thing, but I thought it spoke volumes about the mood amongst some of the players on Saturday. I think we're all well used to players mucking about at half time, while the other team goes through some sort of organised warm up. On Saturday, the three youngsters half heartedly kicked the ball about amongst themselves, Ball & Marwood came out later and passed the ball for a couple of minutes, then Marwood went and sat in the dugout and spoke to Kello. The whole feeling was that none of them could really bothered, and that's the atmosphere that is pervading the club at the moment.

Mr Gilmour must be regretting his 'knicker wetters' comment earlier in the season. That, and Tommy's "nothing" comment, send a message that the fans should turn up, pay their money and get on with it. Like an increasing number of others, I don't think that's remotely good enough anymore.

Exactly, I've got a lot of respect for Gilmour and the Board for what they have done for the club but they are increasingly taking the support for granted and viewing us as numbers on an income sheet. It may not make good business sense to sack a man who is 6 months into a 2 year contract but football clubs are a unique business and it’s all about results at the end of the day.

Tommy Craig having ‘nothing’ to say to the 700 St Mirren fans forking out £20 + travel to see their side be comfortably beaten by a team that at the very least we should be of similar ability too, is the straw that’s broke the camel’s back. I’d be surprised if there are any Saints fans still defending him after that. After so many years in the game he should know better than disrespect the fans so much.

I’ve never been so disheartened about being a St Mirren fan than right now, even the Blue Noses in my work are taking pity on me.

Just watched Sportscene from last night.

Ignoring his bizarre team selection(which reeked of desperation)his post match comments are a sackable offence in my opinion.

He won't resign or be sacked though.

I think he'll get till the end of the year, until he's got a few of our better players back.

There's no doubt that Goodwin, Thommo, Wylde, Osbourne, Plummer and McGinn returning would make a massive difference however I have my suspicions that Osbourne will never be fit and that Plummer isn't interested.

Are we forgetting all those players apart from Thomno were part of a failing team before their injuries. No defence for this ignorant and clueless manager

Of course they were but I think he'll be given a month or so till he has the opportunity to play his strongest team.

Unfortunately for him it probably won't make much difference as only Thommo and McGinn from that list will make a difference I reckon.

You may be right, Rab. I get the impression that BoD quite relish the 'we stick by our managers' reputation. It's generally a good thing, but in this case, the writing is plainly on the wall.

We employ a guy with a terrible record on the few occasions he's been trusted to manage a club, and he turns out to have a terrible record with us as well. I was prepared to accept the stuff about not scoring earlier in the season when we were playing quite well, but the performances have gone massively downhill.

You may be right, Rab. I get the impression that BoD quite relish the 'we stick by our managers' reputation. It's generally a good thing, but in this case, the writing is plainly on the wall.

We employ a guy with a terrible record on the few occasions he's been trusted to manage a club, and he turns out to have a terrible record with us as well. I was prepared to accept the stuff about not scoring earlier in the season when we were playing quite well, but the performances have gone massively downhill.

You've got to think he's clinging onto his job at the moment by saying he's got 6 players out and therefore wants the chance to get them back.

The danger is, any replacement would need the transfer window to rectify things.

You may be right, Rab. I get the impression that BoD quite relish the 'we stick by our managers' reputation.

A reputation that is intact, err, except for the sackings of Fitzpatrick, Hendrie & Coughlin mid season and the end of season sackings of the manager who led us from the doldrums of the First Division to establishment in the SPL and the guy who won us the League Cup...

whistling.gif

If the BoD can sack these guys then surely they can sack possibly the worst manager in the club's entire history. Indeed, possibly the worst manager in football history!

Looks like we are stuck with him, club can't afford to pay him off.

Hell mend them for giving him a 2 year deal, what a mess.

I suspect there is an end of season performance clause in his contract, a bit like the one that allowed Kilmarnock to sack Sheils.

The problem with that however is that if we sack him now then the clause never kicks in.

Just my guessing....

But... nevertheless... whatever the contract has in it... what a mess!

I couldn't believe my ears at the reply TC gave on Sportscene.Does the man realise who pays his wages?

This problem we have just now lies firmly at the feet of the BOD.They have done some brilliant work over the years but are undoing it all this season.

I'm looking forward to the AGM..........I don't think they will be.

6 players to come in, who of course will all just parachute in 100% match fit and immediately kick us in to gear. Meanwhile the other players, who TC has been stating aren't good enough to save his own hide, will sit and happily await the chance to do their bit when asked.

Has he not watched Wylde this season, does he not realise ST's age, has he missed Osbourne's injury record, has Goodwin's suspension record passed him by and does he not realise how unfair it is to put that sort of pressure on the shoulders of McGinn and Plummer? The guy is an absolute fool, completely lost as a full time manager. What happens when two of those are out again.."oh, this isn't my full eleven" blah blah. It's just such a thread bare, poorly put together and poorly coached squad. I'm just sick and tired of going over it, no doubt we missed out on players whilst chasing others or the Newcastle thing fell through because we'd be running a younger squad this season. The waste of money on Tess, good player etc but not needed, when the need for a central defender was staring everyone in the face. We had nobody to compete with ST, so we free all our striker kids yet again and bring in very poor players. Surely Scullion or Brady could have been no worse than Caldwell, Ball or Marwood. Yes, maybe neither is a target man. But we can't get crosses in and our delivery to Ball from the middle or rear of the park is atrocious anyway. Case in point being Wylde's refusal to knock the simple ball across goal versus Motherwell or the amount of balls going in to the main stand from Wylde's foot nearly every other time he's played this season. That and the big bumper contract for Kenny McLean, who quite frankly only looks interested around the time he might get a move/new deal. I mean, how much actual interest was there really...not like we can tell every English club that Sainsburys have put in an offer.

I really hope TC does the hounourable thing and resign today, I have never know so many St Mirren supporters to be so disenfranchised with a manager not since the dark days of John Coughlin.

His media inteviews on Radio Scotland and Sportscene were offensive to all St Mirren supporters, if he is still manager on Saturday then I can see the attendance v ICT being one of our lowest in over ten years.

The board messed up on this badly but are too arrogant to do anything about it, the club would lose more money if relegated, so sacking TC now would be a cheaper option than being relegated with him still in charge.

Edited by Second Decay

how much would it cost to pay off tommy?

The board are obviously skint and don't want to invest. So could fans fork up the money? (not that we should we pay enough already)

I think between 35k-50k lump sum would see tc off. so say in the region of £15 per season ticket holder?

this is one of the only ways I can see him leaving without it hurting the club.

He does not deserve a penny for his performance tho and should do the decent thing and walk.

The other option would be to boycott the inverness game (hard one to miss as its the cup) but it would be more noticeable as season tickets aren't valid.

the board could use this as an opportunity to get some extra cash by promising that the profits from the game would go towards TC pay off. I imagine it would be a record attendance.

how much would it cost to pay off tommy?

The board are obviously skint and don't want to invest. So could fans fork up the money? (not that we should we pay enough already)

I think between 35k-50k lump sum would see tc off. so say in the region of £15 per season ticket holder?

this is one of the only ways I can see him leaving without it hurting the club.

He does not deserve a penny for his performance tho and should do the decent thing and walk.

The other option would be to boycott the inverness game (hard one to miss as its the cup) but it would be more noticeable as season tickets aren't valid.

the board could use this as an opportunity to get some extra cash by promising that the profits from the game would go towards TC pay off. I imagine it would be a record attendance.

Bugger off i bought 2 season tickets.