The Tommy Craig Must Go Thread

Flareybob

irvine_buddie, on 25 Nov 2014 - 12:15, said:

Most Many people going will just buy their tickets on the day so doesn't surprise me theres only been 100 or so sold so far. There will be over 1000 home fans im sure but not by much.

[Edit - Is that better? rolleyes.gif ]

Fixed it for the nitpickers thumbup2.gif

Pedants can only react correctly when errors occur.bangin.gif

The St Mirren board are sitting back hoping for another miracle. They ought to have had the balls to sack Danny Lennon early last season but instead they took the cheapest option and prayed that somehow we would scramble enough points under DL to avoid relegation. Lady Luck was with them last season and they are banking on her smiling on them again this season. This is the limit of their ambition, this is what they see as their action plan. Unfortunately our team is even worse under Tommy Craig and I am surprised that we are not already isolated by 6 or more points adrift from the rest of the league. Apathy amongst the fans is at a higher level than I can ever remember. I usually go along to the AGM but not this year because I can't be bothered any more. The fans need to witness some real positive actions from the board ASAP if the good ship St Mirren is to be turned around before we hit the rocks. I won't be holding my breath.

I can't believe anyone is thinking of boycotting game I for one am supporter and will follow team regardless, do believe crowd will be lower as Ict bring very low crowd, last league wasn't it about 100 or so

Regardless of thoughts on TC our team will always get my support

I admire the fact that you can still put up with it and can find the enthusiasm to attend. I'm not boycotting the game I just can't be bothered going. Good luck to all good loyal Buddies that are determined to go, perhaps its me that's wrong but I like to attend events that are enjoyable. I can't honestly remember the last time I enjoyed a game.

I bet there will be less than 500 home fans. Enough is enough. Feel sorry for the players as they are given no direction but I've got better things to do than watch a team with no chance to win before a ball is kicked due to an inept manager who belongs on the training pitch as a number two

Well, due to the abject failure to address our defending and striking problems, I have my doubts as to whether he even belongs there.

Don't think I am at all.

Look at our average home gates in the darkest days of the Couglin era when we were far worse than we are now, They were around 2500. Just now they're about 3000. Hardly much different.

Most fans go no matter how bad we are, some fans come and go. The numbers don't lie.

For me this is much much different. Even in the Coughlin era there was some anticipation that a result might be possible, unlikely but possible despite inept management, this time it feels like going into game is no hope of results and the manager is now belligerent in respect of the fans.

Thinking about it, this is likely the first game I have selectively chose to miss since 1999.

Edited by madball

I think that's the majority of fans to be honest.

The average Saints fan goes to every home game they can and would do if we were at the bottom of the third tier. And they don't post about it us social media either.

Saints fans who post about the club on social media and float depending on how well we are doing make up a very vocal minority.

Source?

I know that, come Saturday, I'll stick on my winter jacket, warm clothes and an extra pair of socks and sit there and watch the game.

It's just one of those things, but if things don't go well then I sit close enough to both the manager and the directors to vent my frustration.

Home game in the Scottish cup where the majority of hard core fans are going to stay away though I understand.

Like you will will be there on Saturday supporting the team hopefully to a win.

Disagree with this.

As you well know, I've been posting about it on social media. As you also well know, neither I, nor the group of guys I go to games with float depending on the fortunes of the club and only miss away games now due to lack of collective finances. I'm surprised at you even making such a claim on a forum like this where the majority of folk have been through the really shite times and stuck with the team.

The fact of the matter is I'm simply not willing to part with the money to put myself on a downer. If we were shite and had some fight about us, it'd be a different story. That coupled with the apparent fact that the board don't give a toss, had bred mass animosity and apathy. I blame not one fan for being disillusioned.

And as for your assertion the we were far worse off under Coughlin, well yes, but only because well have a glass floor for protection until the end of the season. Rest assured, this squad would be every bit as bad in the championship as that Coughlin side. We didn't even really hold our own against Dunfermline.

The claim I'm making is that we have around 2000 fans who go to home matches regardless of how well the team is doing. Our attendance figures - going back a long time - back that up. What's surprising about that claim? Even back to the mid nineties when relegation to the third tier was an almost annual concern, we got home gates of around 2000. I personally think those were far worse times than now, if you disagree fair enough.

I think we will get around 2000 on Saturday. Maybe I will be wrong and maybe we will get a century low home gate of 1500 odd, we shall see.

I never mentioned away games at all, away games are a completely different ball game with several variant factors. I will say our away support has been pretty impressive given the circumstances this season. Over 600 on Saturday, for example and a similar amount at Tannadice.

I don't blame any fan for being disillusioned, every fan has the right to disillusionment and the right not to go. My point is that - as history shows - most Saints fans go to home games when they can.

I am not boycotting. I am just not going.

Having been a supporter for 40+ years I do not think I can be described as a fair weather fan. With Danny's team I felt we had the basics of a very good squad - better than most our of rivals - and I was frustrated that we underachieved drastically in my opinion. But I went to matches expecting a good evenly contested game with a reasonable hope of obtaining a result. More often than not we did not do too well but the hope and expectation was there.

However this season I think we have the poorest squad we have had in a league battle for many a year and no longer expect to get anything from a game. Getting rid of decent players and replacing them with untried players did not help.

But football for me is about expectation and enjoyment. For me both these factors are missing and its now drudgery and habit on a Saturday. But there is a big world out there and there are other ways to enjoy a Saturday afternoon. I will still go to most games on my ST and will probably still buy one next season however being a supporter is a one-way love affair. You give and the club takes. But as you get older you realise that this relationship is unbalanced and sometimes you just have to look after yourself. So I have other options for this Saturday which all offer enjoyment and I will be taking up one of those offers. And will do so more often until there is a change of some description which gives me some expectation of being able to compete against the opposition.

I still hope we do well on Sat but no longer expect it.

Edited by Sonny

Ok I have heard from a pretty good source he has gone and also JG, can anyone confirm

as i said on the rumour mill thread, it wouldn't surprise if true

the hendrie sacking was similar. It happened on the Monday but wasn't made public till the Friday due to contract negotiations

and plenty of naysayers on this very forum just wouldnt believe it

as i said on the rumour mill thread, it wouldn't surprise if true

the hendrie sacking was similar. It happened on the Monday but wasn't made public till the Friday due to contract negotiations

and plenty of naysayers on this very forum just wouldnt believe it

Putting a contract out on Tommy is pretty harsh don't you think?

We need to put pressure on the board tomorrow. A vote of no confidence is needed to show Gilmour that we can not let this go on any longer.

OK. YOU propose the motion and I am sure you will get someone to second it...

As far as i`m aware , our lowest crowd so far at Greenhill is 1,914 ,for a league cup tie v Hamilton .

I fear it will be a lot less than that mate. Still don't know if I am going snore.gif

It was Sunday night. After the home support witnessing so many league defeats this season and no league wins I think we all might be surprised how low the crowd is. Inverness are unlikely to bring any more than 300/400 fans.

They brought under 200 to the league game so it will be no more on Saturday. Of our normal group of regulars NONE are going on Saturday. Had it been a ST league game then yes but like plenty others have stated paying £18 to watch the utter dross on offer so close to Christmas makes not going a very easy decision. I can't think of any other home Saints game off the top of my head in the last 25 years or so that I have opted not to attend but this hasn't even been a difficult decision. Will be back the Saturday after regardless as I expect most ST holders will be but I fully expect a record low crowd for the new stadium and probably the lowest for a home Scottish Cup tie in my living memory. Anything above 1500 would surprise me. A sorry, sorry state of affairs.

I know that, come Saturday, I'll stick on my winter jacket, warm clothes and an extra pair of socks and sit there and watch the game.

It's just one of those things, but if things don't go well then I sit close enough to both the manager and the directors to vent my frustration.

I know, the wee boy behind you was disgusted..... post-4944-0-87651500-1417009917_thumb.jp