The Tommy Craig Must Go Thread

Flareybob

No. Why is that relevant?

My position has always been that you don't sack a manager during the season.

as reported on Clyde last night , last season Crystal Palace under Ian Holloway -> relegation certainty. Change of manager , under Pulis , same players --> comfortable

as reported on Clyde last night , last season Crystal Palace under Ian Holloway -> relegation certainty. Change of manager , under Pulis , same players --> comfortable

What about Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff?

They all changed their manager and then got relegated, Fulham changed theirs twice!

No. Why is that relevant?

My position has always been that you don't sack a manager during the season.[/quote

It's relevant because he's not doing his job properly, therefore should be sacked!!

The end of the season with this muppet in charge will see us as a championship club.

It beggars belief if you don't think he should be removed immediately.

I saw him at the club about half an hour ago and I hate to say it but he didn't look like a man going to a meeting with the board. He actually looked like a man who didn't have a care in the world.

Praying and hoping like everyone but I can't see it happening today .... sorry!

They've had since Tuesday night to sack him. It would be rather strange to suddenly take action 24hours before our next game. Our BoD are full of surprises right enough.

Even if he's a complete disaster zone?

It depends what you mean by that.

If you mean that he's losing games then I wouldn't call that a disaster zone.

If he's guilty of gross misconduct or negligence then that's a different case.

The only other thing would be failing to match contract terms he's agreed to.

There MAY be exceptional situations where a sacking is necessary but it is depressing to see that no manager seems to get a couple of years to develop a long term philosphy. Everything is short term, short term, short term.

In the grand scheme of things wanting to look beyond the immediate future would usually be seen as sensible, commonsense and not f**king insanity. In football however, everyone is a manager, everyone is an expert and everyone expects too much from their club.

There are very few real fans out there. Most fans are fair weather fans.

THAT is the reason for the low crowds.

We are no different from OF fans in that regard.

Edited by oaksoft

How many teams at the bottom of the league kept their managers and stayed up?

There was a survey done on this issue a year or two back.

It found that in the majority of cases it made no overall difference.

Fans only remember the cases where there was a temporary initial bounce because that's what they want to believe in.

The usual case is that it makes no difference in the short or medium term.

There was a survey done on this issue a year or two back.

It found that in the majority of cases it made no overall difference.

Fans only remember the cases where there was a temporary initial bounce because that's what they want to believe in.

The usual case is that it makes no difference in the short or medium term.

So in some cases it did make a difference, then? I think it's worth a punt.

Also, Tommy Craig has lost the fans, and gates will continue to drop. Our average for this season is already down on every season since we came back up. So if a new manager does NOTHING except give some optimism - misplaced or genuine, it doesn't matter - then maybe we'll at least get some better crowds and more money through the gate to fund our promotion bid next season.

Agreed?

Gates over last 20 years:

322527-st-mirren-average-attendance.jpg

How many teams at the bottom of the league kept their managers and stayed up?

Bit of a vague question, and not just because we aren't bottom of the league.

You mean in Scotland? Well, us for one. We were bottom a couple of times in DL's first season, kept him and then stayed up. I'm sure there's countless other examples.

Why is the Motherwell game the big one? I know they are directly above us but FFS tomorrow's game is just as big especially if Motherwell happen to do it against Celtic which they often do. And county win. Will going bottom expedite the bod in their decision? Christ I hope so. Time for a beer.

So in some cases it did make a difference, then? I think it's worth a punt.

Also, Tommy Craig has lost the fans, and gates will continue to drop. Our average for this season is already down on every season since we came back up. So if a new manager does NOTHING except give some optimism - misplaced or genuine, it doesn't matter - then maybe we'll at least get some better crowds and more money through the gate to fund our promotion bid next season.

Agreed?

Gates over last 20 years:

322527-st-mirren-average-attendance.jpg

there is an argument pretty clearly from the graph that when we are down in the 1st division and winning out crowds go up by almost 30% or so however I fear with TC in charge down there we would struggle just as badly and the crowds would probably be down to 3 figures soon enough Edited by mearnssaint

Bit of a vague question, and not just because we aren't bottom of the league.

You mean in Scotland? Well, us for one. We were bottom a couple of times in DL's first season, kept him and then stayed up. I'm sure there's countless other examples.

True. Don't thinkthe thread has been confined to Scotland. I'm just curious because you often hear the argument that relegated teams sacked a manager during the season and still went down.Then there is the stat that in the EPL or whatever it is called that about one team has been bottom at Christmas in 10 years and stayed up. That would tend to indicate waiting until Christmas is too long.