The Tommy Craig Must Go Thread

Flareybob

I've thought long and hard before posting here about the subject, but I do think my thoughts are now relevant.

I played in 2013 in the Saints for a Day game on the away side which was coached by Tommy. I have to be honest and say that whilst he came across as a gentleman, as a coach (and this is purely my personal opinion), I was shocked to discover that on the day he seemed completely clueless and disinterested. There were honestly so many basics he didn't cover it was scary.

Now of course these games are not exactly league football, but at the same time, each side collectively is probably donating £2,500 - £3,500 to the club, and so for the coach to not at least treat it a little seriously is at the least quite disrespectful, and verging on unprofessional in my opinion.

It's pretty bad to me that having played under around 6-7 head coaches through School, University etc. including playing under Billy Davies, that playing under Tommy for that one game was the worst footballing experience of my life.

Take from it what you will, I'm just sharing my personal opinion that I was left bitterly disappointed with the experience.

In contrast, playing this year under David Longwell was an absolutely fantastic experience, and he knew what he was doing. Absolute respect for him, and it felt like a two way street.

I've played in a few, you very rarely get any coaching or tactical advice.

All Fitz said to our team was "when you don't have the ball tuck in and narrow the formation. Open up when in possession."

It's a fun day.

I've played in a few, you very rarely get any coaching or tactical advice.

All Fitz said to our team was "when you don't have the ball tuck in and narrow the formation. Open up when in possession."

It's a fun day.

I get that, and for me it's okay - I'll probably do it again sometime. For some though, that may be the only chance they ever get to have a match day experience, and so the coaches have an obligation to at least treat it a little, just a little seriously.

I'll give you an example. When making substitutes, three or four players coming off, three or four going on at the same time. No instruction of who was to go where. I asked Tommy 'where do you want us to go?' The answer? I quote "Eh, just go wherever you're comfortable."

I'm sorry, what? How does that work if there are already people occupying the places you're comfortable? The result? Where I should have been going? Up front. Where I ended up? Having to cover BOTH left back AND left mid, as nobody was in either position.

When Tommy took over for us this season, I was praying that that sort of nonsense was just because it was a 'kick around' and he wasn't bothered about it. Again, purely personal opinion, but I'm starting to think that the problems I experienced might not have been limited to then.

I could be very wrong (in fact, I really hope I am), again I'm just sharing my honest experience.

I get that, and for me it's okay - I'll probably do it again sometime. For some though, that may be the only chance they ever get to have a match day experience, and so the coaches have an obligation to at least treat it a little, just a little seriously.

I'll give you an example. When making substitutes, three or four players coming off, three or four going on at the same time. No instruction of who was to go where. I asked Tommy 'where do you want us to go?' The answer? I quote "Eh, just go wherever you're comfortable."

I'm sorry, what? How does that work if there are already people occupying the places you're comfortable? The result? Where I should have been going? Up front. Where I ended up? Having to cover BOTH left back AND left mid, as nobody was in either position.

When Tommy took over for us this season, I was praying that that sort of nonsense was just because it was a 'kick around' and he wasn't bothered about it. Again, purely personal opinion, but I'm starting to think that the problems I experienced might not have been limited to then.

I could be very wrong (in fact, I really hope I am), again I'm just sharing my honest experience.

It's the same every year, well every year I've played.

Do you expect him to slot you into a dedicated right back slot when he knows nothing about you?

It's a hard one, think of it this way. Imagine paying a couple of hundred quid to be play and then someone saying no, you can't play up front.

It's been rolling subs when I played, you just went off when you were fecked.

I didn't have a problem with the format, for me it was more about playing a game on the pitch than having someone gaffer me.

I can make an arse of myself on the park without someone telling me how to :P

And again, I get that. I just think that it was a little too relaxed as it felt more like complete apathy / disinterest throughout. I just think that the balance between giving people the match day experience and the fact that it's a fun day wasn't balanced at all.

That, and of course I have this year's experience to compare it with, where to be fair to the club, it was absolutely spot on. Again, I really have to give both the club and David Longwell credit as he got that balance absolutely spot on in every way.

Sadly, in my opinion, Tommy didn't.

Edited by zurich_allan

Hah, the funny thing is that I still enjoyed the overall day. It was just that I was left a bit perplexed with what was going on through the game. It was a very frustrating 90 minutes, and I came off the pitch just feeling very disappointed.

I'm certainly not bitter about it or anything, it's just that I was left scratching my head. Maybe it's just that my expectations were too high.

I've thought long and hard before posting here about the subject, but I do think my thoughts are now relevant.

I played in 2013 in the Saints for a Day game on the away side which was coached by Tommy. I have to be honest and say that whilst he came across as a gentleman, as a coach (and this is purely my personal opinion), I was shocked to discover that on the day he seemed completely clueless and disinterested. There were honestly so many basics he didn't cover it was scary.

Now of course these games are not exactly league football, but at the same time, each side collectively is probably donating £2,500 - £3,500 to the club, and so for the coach to not at least treat it a little seriously is at the least quite disrespectful, and verging on unprofessional in my opinion.

It's pretty bad to me that having played under around 6-7 head coaches through School, University etc. including playing under Billy Davies, that playing under Tommy for that one game was the worst footballing experience of my life.

Take from it what you will, I'm just sharing my personal opinion that I was left bitterly disappointed with the experience.

In contrast, playing this year under David Longwell was an absolutely fantastic experience, and he knew what he was doing. Absolute respect for him, and it felt like a two way street.

Re your first line!

Trust me you didnae think long or hard enough, FFS what has a charity game with 13 strangers got to do with how TC coaches....? (tongue in cheek there)

Hmmm... but on reflection, he did let me go back on several times with a strained thigh muscle.

Can any body explain.

Tommy craig as assistant did all the shouting sbd stood on touch line now tommy us manager he does what danny used to do Abd sit on his hole for whole match Abd teale who is wasting energy as a potential sub does all the shouting makes no f**king sense

as a manager, he is realising that the battle is won in the week before the match and no amount of jumping around on the touchline is going to correct a week's worth of mistakes

why do people get excited about how animated a coch os on the touchline? in the grand scheme of things it means f**k all,

maybe some people are conned by a coach giving it laldy as a manager takes stock, I dunno

Re your first line!

Trust me you didnae think long or hard enough, FFS what has a charity game with 13 strangers got to do with how TC coaches....? (tongue in cheek there)

Hmmm... but on reflection, he did let me go back on several times with a strained thigh muscle.

Mainly because regardless of the level or context of a game, there are certain absolute basics that apply universally to a game of football, that in my opinion were not there. It just really puzzled me. I just thought Tommy's attitude to the game was all wrong.

It is of course only an opinion, others are welcome to think differently and I don't have any problem at all with that, only being honest.

Mainly because regardless of the level or context of a game, there are certain absolute basics that apply universally to a game of football, that in my opinion were not there. It just really puzzled me. I just thought Tommy's attitude to the game was all wrong.

It is of course only an opinion, others are welcome to think differently and I don't have any problem at all with that, only being honest.

Just out of interest, did your team win?

as a manager, he is realising that the battle is won in the week before the match and no amount of jumping around on the touchline is going to correct a week's worth of mistakes

why do people get excited about how animated a coch os on the touchline? in the grand scheme of things it means f**k all,

maybe some people are conned by a coach giving it laldy as a manager takes stock, I dunno

Animation is one thing but getting off your arse and trying to organise or maybe encourage your team is another!!!!!

I remember when Craig Brewster was on the verge of the sack at Dundee United. He played a load of young kids and lost 4-0 at Falkirk.

The last sign of a desperate manager is to play a load of young kids/debutants/first starters.

It's over. It will be over by Tuesday.

Hope so. We need a new man in charge

Biggest issue is what is perseaved as apathy from BOD right down to fans

TC has obviously lost fans, team only those within club know if that's case

For me there is only two ways TC can comes out of this with dignity

1 Resign as McCall done it at still has respect of fans, even though TC spell in charge has been poor, if he resigned fans would respect him for stepping aside

2 Turn team around and go on winning strak

He has to decide what is best for him, otherwise BOD will need to act and fire him

I always try to be positive and will continue to. Go to games and support team on park who ever they are

Everyone has right to voice there opinion but BOD and TC need to chat as current form and apathy can't continue

We are supporters of agreat club and deserve at least a BOD manager and team to show they support team as much as every fan does, I know players don't all support team but when playing they should at least show they care as much as supporters

can you name a top manager that just sits on his arse the full game.