Worst Time Being A Saints Fan?

like many people on this forum been a fan since early 8os, supported them on many a trip home and abroad, be there when times were bad alex miller, hay at the fake game when we the fans protested behind the main stand ,went to the next game after h,,,,,,,,,y.was there when we got pumped by raith in 1st div,

we the fans always could hope for improvement some fighting spirit, not throwing games without a effort.

so that we can enjoy when the GOOD timed come around the trouble is with this manager.

i just do not see it ,would love to be proved wrong,

but this has been the worst run i care to remember , if we continue we are going to get the worst points total in this league,

time for board to sort out this shambles.

still will support the saints but i can honestly say its getting harder and harder to look forward to next game ,

for god sake saints pull the finger out from top to bottom .

mad as hell saint

I don't think its the worst time to watch the team. We've had much worse to put up with. For me, the Alex Miller era of boring football lasted a lot longer and I found it hard to follow. This current spell, though, may be the most boring. Unexciting signings, very little news, official website dull, product on the field awful. I don't feel motivated to turn up and watch it.

Edited by andyswann2007

Hmmm, as a sequence of results and performances, just about , yes I'd say, with an especially gloomy forecast.

Been plenty boots in the haw maws though , the nine man final , plenty lost games from the jaws of victory, especially cup games where we dominate , but heh hoh, conspire to lose, yet still these one off games , they pass. Hammarby , collective scarring there, three goals away from home, a hat trick ffs , yet still , parp. That's hard to top as an incredible implosion. Yet we gamely try to somehow conjour up more remarkable failings.

This dismal form presently shows no sign whatsoever in turning. Oh and some pundidts suggest our hard games have not arrived yet.

Yet...................................I'm an ardent Saints fan

mellow.png

Hmmm, as a sequence of results and performances, just about , yes I'd say, with an especially gloomy forecast.

Been plenty boots in the haw maws though , the nine man final , plenty lost games from the jaws of victory, especially cup games where we dominate , but heh hoh, conspire to lose, yet still these one off games , they pass. Hammarby , collective scarring there, three goals away from home, a hat trick ffs , yet still , parp. That's hard to top as an incredible implosion. Yet we gamely try to somehow conjour up more remarkable failings.

This dismal form presently shows no sign whatsoever in turning. Oh and some pundidts suggest our hard games have not arrived yet.

Yet...................................I'm an ardent Saints fan

mellow.png

So am I. It has to be a form of madness.

Season Tickets becoming invalid in the 1990's for Scottish Cup, League Cup and Friendly matches.

A disgraceful episode in the history of St Mirren Football Club.

I remain scarred.

Edited by shull

yes have to agree one off games yes .but a this run its a slow torture week in week out every week and no light at the end .will we win a game before end of year

who the hell can tell.

dont see us winning friday which is depressing enough

everyone improves we go backwards no planning, no tactics

totally the worst off times.

mad as hell saint

I started going to games in 1965, but my memories are a bit hit and miss as i think the team was up until SAF took the reigns, thats the first time I remember a consistant good team, then of course it was the golden age 77-87, late eighties and right through the nineties were pretty dire, picking up in the noughties though always flirting with or falling to relegation.

of course individual games like Hammerby, 9 man LC final etc. can darken an otherwise bright period, likewise 87 cup final and 2013 LC final can lift everyone.

on the whole

Fergie, Clunie, Mcfarlane, and Hendrie eras = good

Miller, Hay, and coughlin = bad

Fitzpatrick,smith,bone,mcpherson, and lennon = mixed, fitzpatrick's team played open, expansive football but results were poor & mcpherson the other way round.

so far of course the craig era is poor but it's early days.

overall, I'd say the worst time in my lifetime is the nineties

2010 Cup Final defeat was far worse as was Scottish Cup knockout by Gretna in 2006.

The cups will always hurt me more.

Losing at home to Ayr in that QF was right up there with those two aswell. As was losing the home quarter final replay against St Johnstone after drawing in Perth.

The 90s. I was (and am) a far-flung Bud, and when you're relying on the teletext gossip/scores page for info, and coverage is reduced because we're ploughing away in the first division, you're basically surviving off scraps in terms of team and player info.

Of course, the state of this place sometimes, I find myself longing for simpler times... whistling.gif

The cups will always hurt me more.

Losing at home to Ayr in that QF was right up there with those two aswell. As was losing the home quarter final replay against St Johnstone after drawing in Perth.

The St Johnstone game, IIRC, was one of the worst ever saints performances i can remember, Shuggie had a horror show (again if its the same game)

The 2010 cup final will always be the low point for me as im too young for Hammarby

Oh for goodness sake, not more “aw naw we’re so crap, this is a catastrophe no-one’s ever gone through before!” bullshit.

In answer to your question; no, it's not. Not by a long way.

I’ll tell you the worst fúcking time to be a Saints fan. It was during the months of February to May 1998. It was the sixth season in a row out of the Premier League and, coupled with a dreadful run of results which included what were becoming regular defeats to Morton, the very existence of the club was not just threatened but vey much in the balance and there was the very solid realisation that we might not HAVE a club. Severe debts piling up, a dodgy businessman looking to takeover and hovering excruciatingly close to the trap-door to, at best, lower league part-time football obscurity but very probably oblivion. You’ve either got a short memory or you’re talking shite when you say you’ve been a fan since the 80s.

Losing five or six games in a row in the top league? Being relegated to the Second Division & going out of existence? I know which one I’d go for.

Fúck off, you panic merchant arsehole. mad.gif

The St Johnstone game, IIRC, was one of the worst ever saints performances i can remember, Shuggie had a horror show (again if its the same game)

The 2010 cup final will always be the low point for me as im too young for Hammarby

I was at both and can assure you 2010 was an absolute breeze in comparison to the Swedish Team.

I started going to games in 1965, but my memories are a bit hit and miss as i think the team was up until SAF took the reigns, thats the first time I remember a consistant good team, then of course it was the golden age 77-87, late eighties and right through the nineties were pretty dire, picking up in the noughties though always flirting with or falling to relegation.

of course individual games like Hammerby, 9 man LC final etc. can darken an otherwise bright period, likewise 87 cup final and 2013 LC final can lift everyone.

on the whole

Fergie, Clunie, Mcfarlane, and Hendrie eras = good

Miller, Hay, and coughlin = bad

Fitzpatrick,smith,bone,mcpherson, and lennon = mixed, fitzpatrick's team played open, expansive football but results were poor & mcpherson the other way round.

so far of course the craig era is poor but it's early days.

overall, I'd say the worst time in my lifetime is the nineties

Alex Miller,bad

Aye it was pure hell when we finished 7th once after he took us to Europe

I will agree on the 90s though and that b*stard Hay started the misery

There have been far worse teams than what we have at the moment , the only difference then was there was more money about and a club could appoint a new boss at any time in a season and give him money to turn things around. Scottish football is dead in the water , Bosman , transfer windows and the overspending by the big clubs in the 80s/90s has effectively killed the senior game up here.

1995 for example these were consecutive matches

31 Dec - Feb

Dundee 4 v 0 Saints

Airdrie 2 v 0 Saints

Saints 2 v 2 Dung

Fakes 5 v 1 Saints

Celtic 2 v 0 Saints (SC)

Hammies 2 v 0 Saints

Saints 1 v 2 Raith

Saints 0 v 1 Airdrie

The season before saw TWO 3 v 0 Defeats to Dumbarton (H), a 3 v 0 to Stirling Albion, 4 v 0 at Dundee, 4 v 2 at Dung, the 3 v 0 missery to Falkirk in the B&Q cup and a 3 v 0 at Clyde as well as the infamous 3 v 3 at Dumbarton after being 3 up with less than 15 mins to go

The early to mid 90's was a horrendous time to be following Saints