Worst Time Being A Saints Fan?

Oh for goodness sake, not more “aw naw we’re so crap, this is a catastrophe no-one’s ever gone through before!” bullshit.

In answer to your question; no, it's not. Not by a long way.

I’ll tell you the worst fúcking time to be a Saints fan. It was during the months of February to May 1998. It was the sixth season in a row out of the Premier League and, coupled with a dreadful run of results which included what were becoming regular defeats to Morton, the very existence of the club was not just threatened but vey much in the balance and there was the very solid realisation that we might not HAVE a club. Severe debts piling up, a dodgy businessman looking to takeover and hovering excruciatingly close to the trap-door to, at best, lower league part-time football obscurity but very probably oblivion. You’ve either got a short memory or you’re talking shite when you say you’ve been a fan since the 80s.

Losing five or six games in a row in the top league? Being relegated to the Second Division & going out of existence? I know which one I’d go for.

Fúck off, you panic merchant arsehole. mad.gif

I agree that that was a terrible few months. The result that sticks in my mind was the Scottish Cup 3rd round replay against Hamilton at Firhill. On a wet, windy night Saints had 19 corners. Accies got their only corner right at the end of the game and , guess what, they scored, doing us out of an away match at Ibrox in the 4th round which would have given a boost to the club's finances.

Some of you younger lads have been spared 5-0 home defeats by the likes of East Stirling in the early 70s. Trust me, our beloved club regularly got humped by QOS, For far and Alloa.

Yes, it is bad at the moment but it has been a lot worse as Billy G and Shull will no doubt agree. I just hope we can turn things around.

1995 for example these were consecutive matches

31 Dec - Feb

Dundee 4 v 0 Saints

Airdrie 2 v 0 Saints

Saints 2 v 2 Dung

Fakes 5 v 1 Saints

Celtic 2 v 0 Saints (SC)

Hammies 2 v 0 Saints

Saints 1 v 2 Raith

Saints 0 v 1 Airdrie

The season before saw TWO 3 v 0 Defeats to Dumbarton (H), a 3 v 0 to Stirling Albion, 4 v 0 at Dundee, 4 v 2 at Dung, the 3 v 0 missery to Falkirk in the B&Q cup and a 3 v 0 at Clyde as well as the infamous 3 v 3 at Dumbarton after being 3 up with less than 15 mins to go

The early to mid 90's was a horrendous time to be following Saints

Imagine the state of this forum if it had been around during that run :lol:

Some of you younger lads have been spared 5-0 home defeats by the likes of East Stirling in the early 70s. Trust me, our beloved club regularly got humped by QOS, For far and Alloa.

Yes, it is bad at the moment but it has been a lot worse as Billy G and Shull will no doubt agree. I just hope we can turn things around.

Indeed, i was at that East Stirling match and most of others.

I was confident that we would turn things round.

Hammarby isnae even in my top 20 of worst results.

2010 Final is the worst by miles.

And every Cup loss to a lower league team is on the list before the Swedes.

All the semis we lost were worse than Hammarby.

And plenty league games were a nightmare also.

Forget Hammarby, i forgot it by the time i got hame that night.

I saw my first game 1965 my dad took me as a snotty nosed Glaswegian to local club from Linwood. Needless to say pumped 3-1.

Worst multitude but stand outs Hammerby is a given my mate left early thought we were winding him up !

Kirkcaldy after relegation was def a low point I didn't even get a pint in Starks bar.

League cup final against them wasn't very good either bit of understatement there

1995 for example these were consecutive matches

31 Dec - Feb

Dundee 4 v 0 Saints

Airdrie 2 v 0 Saints

Saints 2 v 2 Dung

Fakes 5 v 1 Saints

Celtic 2 v 0 Saints (SC)

Hammies 2 v 0 Saints

Saints 1 v 2 Raith

Saints 0 v 1 Airdrie

The season before saw TWO 3 v 0 Defeats to Dumbarton (H), a 3 v 0 to Stirling Albion, 4 v 0 at Dundee, 4 v 2 at Dung, the 3 v 0 missery to Falkirk in the B&Q cup and a 3 v 0 at Clyde as well as the infamous 3 v 3 at Dumbarton after being 3 up with less than 15 mins to go

The early to mid 90's was a horrendous time to be following Saints

the trouble is i was at all those games,and i still find now is worse because its the start of the season .

thats the only reason its worst ,people can find out the weakness of team during a season , but can we change the team and grind out results .

not at this moment in time,we have to change ,gus style

until we get an improvement .in results

friday night has to be the start ,do not care when we lose if i know we have given our all.

Edited by mad saint 2

I agree that that was a terrible few months. The result that sticks in my mind was the Scottish Cup 3rd round replay against Hamilton at Firhill. On a wet, windy night Saints had 19 corners. Accies got their only corner right at the end of the game and , guess what, they scored, doing us out of an away match at Ibrox in the 4th round which would have given a boost to the club's finances.

One of the biggest away supports i've seen

So much for the 12th man

Accies had their usual 2 men and a dug

I remember the first game Accies scored with the last kick of the ball to force the replay

If we couldn't score out of 19 corners, I'm not sure it was Hamilton that did us out of an away day at Ibrox !

An old friend of mine , Gary Clark , who scored for Accies at LS in the first game takes great pleasure in reminding me that before that replay Accies made an offer to S Mirren to split the takings from the Rangers game whether they or us went through in the replay , we refused !

the trouble is i was at all those games,and i still find now is worse because its the start of the season .

thats the only reason its worst ,people can find out the weakness of team during a season , but can we change the team and grind out results .

not at this moment in time,we have to change ,gus style

until we get an improvement .in results

friday night has to be the start ,do not care when we lose if i know we have given our all.

Surely if you're going to have a bad run - and all bottom.6 teams will - you're better having it at the start of the season?

That game was the following season to the one to which HHIBSS refers.

He's talking about 97/98 when we needed Shuggie's goal at Stirling to keep us up. In that season we had a different disaster in the Scottish cup, losing 4-2 at Dundee after playing the whole 2nd half with 9 men.

The Hamilton cup match was in season 98/99.

Edited by bingboy

1966-67 was pretty rank. We went down for the first time in 30 years and to make matters worse Morton came up in our place!

However we did come back up the following year as champions thumbup2.gif

Back down in 70-71bangin.gif and as seasons went by, in 73-74 we finished 11th in the 2nd tier. To put it into modern context that's 29th in the rankings, so basically in today's third level of football in Scotland.

74-75 saw us scrape into the new divisional set-up as the last club out of the old second division, so we now in the new 2nd tier, but in the smaller league arrangement. The following year we finished 6th in that new league (16th overall).

Bingo we won the 2nd division the year later and we were back in the big time.

So if you want to really complain look back in anger at the miss-management and care of the club in these years. It was pretty woeful and painful to watch and also to observe how the club was being run.

There have been many, many years and teams that are so much worse than today's club, so please don't try and compare reasonably tasty apples with rotten bananas, it doesn't bear thinking about.

If you are a true fan, you go along and you take the thick with the thin, the huge difference now is that the fan in the street (i.e. me) has got this outlet to let off steam. In these days, I can tell you I stood on the terracing and winced and shouted and rubbished the team in voice, but never in writing, but I still came back for more. Why? - Because I loved St Mirren, and still do with a passion.

It was dead easy in these days to get on the bus and go up to the fortresses of Ibrox and Parkhead and watch teams that won and competed well in Europe. Many did and deserted the club in the dark days, if you were a real fan however you always looked for the cloud9.gif and desperately wanted a day in the sun. Round it came in 86-87 and boy was THAT worth waiting forclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

So I probably have a year or two on a number that post here, but all I'll say is keep the faith, support the team and tomorrow WILL be a better day.

For me personally the last five minutes of the Hammerby match on the 6 Nov 1985 takes the biscuit. It was like a whole team committing collective suicide. For me it was worse than the 2010 Cup Final defeat.

We went into a sports bar in San Javier yesterday and the first scarf on the wall was Hammarby,It reminded me that this seasons start is not so painful after all.

Was lifted over the turnstyles for the famous 1-0 victory against Rangers when Hugh Gilshan scored our winner although I remember nothing about the game. I remember the doldrums of the early '70's but I was an infrequent attender until Fergies Furies and 76/77. Was working in England from the late 80's until August 92 so I missed Cunty Cunt's season in charge but I remember the rest of the decade as being dire until Tom Hendrie's season. holiday.gif Then there were a few dodgy seasons until GM got us back on tracks so there have been much worse times but what depresses me (and I think many other fans) is that we have been unable to kick-on after the stadium move. The new place still doesn't feel like home and we have been unable to turn the new financial stability into sustainable league form.

It's always been a bumpy ride and no doubt it always will be........................cloud9.gif

My son and myself have always supported St.Mirren and we always will. It might sound optimisticgiven our recent form but we want to be their to witness St.Mirrens first league one of the season. The last thing that is needed is for the team to run out to a meagre support, more than ever the team need us. So please be their if you can.

Bud the Baker

Posted Yesterday, 21:30
Was lifted over the turnstyles for the famous 1-0 victory against Rangers when Hugh Gilshan scored our winner although I remember nothing about the game.
Bud, yes I was there that day. Stood in the standing section of the main stand just beside the the vomitory where the players came out onto the pitch.
We were riding high in the league at the time and from memory it was a dank, murky, foggy day and Rangers were coming to Love St to put us in our place. Hughie Gilshan was a product of the Juniors - Johnstone Burgh if I recall correctly and he was a real in and out player, you never quite got that consistent form, but on that day, he wrote his name into Saint's history books.
I think the game was very nearly not played due to the fog, but I remember that as being the epitome of the team at that time, coming good at certain times and taking the scalp of a team that competed well in Europe. clap2.gif Crowds in these days were very good and even a Motherwell or Aberdeen would see us attract 7 or 8,000 to a game.

Bud, yes I was there that day. Stood in the standing section of the main stand just beside the the vomitory where the players came out onto the pitch.
We were riding high in the league at the time and from memory it was a dank, murky, foggy day and Rangers were coming to Love St to put us in our place. Hughie Gilshan was a product of the Juniors - Johnstone Burgh if I recall correctly and he was a real in and out player, you never quite got that consistent form, but on that day, he wrote his name into Saint's history books.
I think the game was very nearly not played due to the fog, but I remember that as being the epitome of the team at that time, coming good at certain times and taking the scalp of a team that competed well in Europe. clap2.gif Crowds in these days were very good and even a Motherwell or Aberdeen would see us attract 7 or 8,000 to a game.

I seem to remember there had been a frost the night before and the pitch was rock hard. I was playing at the Racecourse that day but got into the game, free, just in time to see Gilshan scoring. My mate Donald worked in Roots (or whatever they were known as in those days) beside Hughie and he was delighted to see him score. Gilshan got a hero's welcome going into his work on the Monday.