Worst Time Being A Saints Fan?

Bud, yes I was there that day. Stood in the standing section of the main stand just beside the the vomitory where the players came out onto the pitch.
We were riding high in the league at the time and from memory it was a dank, murky, foggy day and Rangers were coming to Love St to put us in our place. Hughie Gilshan was a product of the Juniors - Johnstone Burgh if I recall correctly and he was a real in and out player, you never quite got that consistent form, but on that day, he wrote his name into Saint's history books.
I think the game was very nearly not played due to the fog, but I remember that as being the epitome of the team at that time, coming good at certain times and taking the scalp of a team that competed well in Europe. clap2.gif Crowds in these days were very good and even a Motherwell or Aberdeen would see us attract 7 or 8,000 to a game.

Thanks - what I know about the game, the fog and all, comes from what my dad & uncle have told me and posts on here it's just that I remember nothing about the game itself or the day other than the turnstyles and getting a bag of chips on the way home and even that memory might be grafted on from later games.

I seem to remember us being about third in the league after that game before we managed to fight our way down the table, as I've said on numerous occasions it's a bumpy ride being a Saints fan. wacko.png

Thanks - what I know about the game, the fog and all, comes from what my dad & uncle have told me and posts on here it's just that I remember nothing about the game itself or the day other than the turnstyles and getting a bag of chips on the way home and even that memory might be grafted on from later games.

I seem to remember us being about third in the league after that game before we managed to fight our way down the table, as I've said on numerous occasions it's a bumpy ride being a Saints fan. wacko.png

What I remember about that game is how Andy McFadden didn't let the much vaunted Colin Stein get a kick of the ball. Oh, and the fog, of course.

I seem to remember there had been a frost the night before and the pitch was rock hard. I was playing at the Racecourse that day but got into the game, free, just in time to see Gilshan scoring. My mate Donald worked in Roots (or whatever they were known as in those days) beside Hughie and he was delighted to see him score. Gilshan got a hero's welcome going into his work on the Monday.

My Dad worked there Rick, IIRC it was called the "Pressed Steel".........I might be wrong , I was only 10 at the time.whistling.gif

My Dad worked there Rick, IIRC it was called the "Pressed Steel".........I might be wrong , I was only 10 at the time.:whistle

was it not called Roots by then? My Dad worked there until it closed down. Mind you Chrysler bought Roots around 1967 but not sure when the name changed.

Edited by nedflanders123

was it not called Roots by then? My Dad worked there until it closed down. Mind you Chrysler bought Roots around 1967 but not sure when the name changed.

A bit like the 'Love Street vs Greenhill Road' paradigm. Some folks still referred to it as the Pressed Steel even when it closed down.

I thought Pressed Steel was on one side of the road and did just that, pressed the steel into body shapes, then it was transferred across the road by the high gantry that straddled the road over to Rootes (then Chrysler) for them to fit the Imps and other cars like the Avenger etc!? excl.png

I thought Pressed Steel was on one side of the road and did just that, pressed the steel into body shapes, then it was transferred across the road by the high gantry that straddled the road over to Rootes (then Chrysler) for them to fit the Imps and other cars like the Avenger etc!? excl.png

I can remember the Pressed Steel factory on what is now the Asda site long before the Hillman Imp factory was opened. My father worked in Pressed Steel late 1950s and was involved in putting fibre glass insulation into railway carriages.

"They were manufacturers of bodywork and pressings for many of the most famous names in the British motor-car industry, including Austin, Daimler, Hillman, Humber, Jaguar, Lanchester, Morris, Morris Commercial, M.G., Riley, Rover, Singer, Wolseley. They also made Prestcold refrigerators, steel railway wagons, agricultural implements and pressings of all types."