Quandary

Fluff Cultivator

I'm getting married in December. Humanist ceremony, big party afterwards... you know the script. I've been with my partner for four years and she's a good egg: easy on the eye; great company and passionate about most things, including football.

Problem being, however, is that she's a Jags fan. Nothing wrong with that. She's from Partick, her old man supports them and she loves her club. Given that she's Glaswegian, it could have been a lot worse. I like to think I'm accepting and open-minded but I'd think long and hard before being betrothed to an Old Scum supporter.

Given the imminent nuptials, we've been discussing plans for starting a family and all the big decisions that come with it. I got hit with the bombshell recently that raising my kids as Buddies apparently wasn't the foregone conclusion I thought it was. We live in Anderston, so yeah, Firhill is the nearest ground geographically BUT... Isn't it a father's prerogative to instil a love in their kids for their team?

I remember the bittersweet joy seeing the season of 99/00 after many years of misery preceding it. And we all know how it felt on St Mirren's day 2013.

Anyway, I was just looking to see if anyone else had any experience of this kind of situation and if there were any tips or advice to be had out there. Apologies if anyone deems my minor dilemma to be a waste of their time but I want to win this one before my baws officially take residence on the mantelpiece.

I'm getting married in December. Humanist ceremony, big party afterwards... you know the script. I've been with my partner for four years and she's a good egg: easy on the eye; great company and passionate about most things, including football.

Problem being, however, is that she's a Jags fan. Nothing wrong with that. She's from Partick, her old man supports them and she loves her club. Given that she's Glaswegian, it could have been a lot worse. I like to think I'm accepting and open-minded but I'd think long and hard before being betrothed to an Old Scum supporter.

Given the imminent nuptials, we've been discussing plans for starting a family and all the big decisions that come with it. I got hit with the bombshell recently that raising my kids as Buddies apparently wasn't the foregone conclusion I thought it was. We live in Anderston, so yeah, Firhill is the nearest ground geographically BUT... Isn't it a father's prerogative to instil a love in their kids for their team?

I remember the bittersweet joy seeing the season of 99/00 after many years of misery preceding it. And we all know how it felt on St Mirren's day 2013.

Anyway, I was just looking to see if anyone else had any experience of this kind of situation and if there were any tips or advice to be had out there. Apologies if anyone deems my minor dilemma to be a waste of their time but I want to win this one before my baws officially take residence on the mantelpiece.

Stick to your principles. Encourage the child to support their local team.

do as i did,show your kids your passion for saints,tell them of your joy when we won a cup or gained promotion,mine flirted with old scum nonsense for a while due to influences at school,but were firmly sat with me at hampden when we won the cup last year and both had tears blinding them,so do as i did and if it doesn't work get a DNA test done on them

Hahahaha... We're actually house hunting at the moment but moving back to Paisley fills me with dread. Walking along the High Street brings The Specials into my head for a reason.

You are living in a place they named a bomb shelter after! There are lots of lovely places near Firhill, such as, Maryhill, Milton and Possilpark, I am sure you will fit in well your majesty ;)

Offer to take the kids to Saturday afternoon "ballet classes" that you've signed them up to in Paisley.

Offer to take the kids to Saturday afternoon "ballet classes" that you've signed them up to in Paisley.

As I was saying, the jessification of Scottish Football continues.

Edited by shull

If you've not had kids yet you've got a few years yet, when they get to 5 or 6 it's about taking them - do you go to games, does your intended go to firhill ? if the answer to both is yes then I'm afraid you'll have to let them make up their own minds - of course they'll have grown up with bedtime stories (once upon a time it was March 2013 and forces of evil known as the jam tarts were amassing at Hampden where they were met by the forces of good, the handsome, brilliant etc. etc.)

My boy is Edinburgh born and bred. There was talk that he should be a Hearts fan (due to the wife's dad & brother being season ticket holders). I made it clear that he could support whoever he wants, but that he wouldn't be going to many games if he didn't support St Mirren. Then you can start buying stuff from the club shop, and generally brain washing him/her! The wee (big!) man is 15 now, been a St Mirren supporter all his days, hates the Old Firm and laughs at Morton. Job done!

Edited by Edinbuddie

I specifically never said Paisley. Just move somewhere that the nearest senior ground is SMP. Like Beith or Lochwinnoch. Or move somewhere that doesn't have a "local" senior team. Whatever you do, stay away from the Wishaw area, you never know who you'll get as a neighbour. 1eye.gif

EDIT: I should actually have said "You never know what brown shirted, right wing, uber-unionist, Nazi scumbag you'll get as a neighbour", sorry about that. biggrin.png

Maybe in 10 years. We're still reasonably young and enjoy living in the city. Definitely an idea though.

Thanks for the advice, fellow appreciator of Douglas Adams. Will be wary of the Buckfast Triangle as ever.

If you've not had kids yet you've got a few years yet, when they get to 5 or 6 it's about taking them - do you go to games, does your intended go to firhill ? if the answer to both is yes then I'm afraid you'll have to let them make up their own minds - of course they'll have grown up with bedtime stories (once upon a time it was March 2013 and forces of evil known as the jam tarts were amassing at Hampden where they were met by the forces of good, the handsome, brilliant etc. etc.)

Yes, we both go to our respective grounds as often as possible. I'm definitely taking up that as a bedtime parable. Great tip.

It's a difficult one when your partner is also a big football fan but supports someone else, I think other posters are right, you'll need to let any kiddies make their own minds up. The fact you live in Anderston may mean other influences like peer pressure would make them more likely to support Thistle I'm afraid.

I had a similar fight with my inlaws, who are all Rangers fans, over my wee boy, and even though he's still too young to go to games, I think they've accepted he'll be a Buddie.