A9 Average Speed Cameras

shull

Going back to the original article.............

Perhaps I'm making an assumption in thinking that these sites would be the single lane sections

It's single and dual carriageway sections including Dunblane to Perth which is 30 miles entirely of dual carriageway.

It's single and dual carriageway sections including Dunblane to Perth which is 30 miles entirely of dual carriageway.

Again it's not the same stretch of road we're talking about but it seems to be working.......

Newly-installed cameras on one of Scotland's most notorious roads are already cutting drivers' speed.

The average-speed cameras on the A9 have not yet been switched on, but have nonetheless seen the number of motorists breaking the speed the limit on the Perth to Pitlochry stretch drop from one in three to one in 10.

Work began to install the devices from Perth to Inverness last month, one of a number of planned measures to improve safety on the main route connecting central Scotland and the Highlands.

Fatal and serious road accidents on the busy, single carriageway road are significantly higher than the national average.

Transport Minister Keith Brown said: " Average speed cameras encourage drivers to improve their behaviour and we are already seeing this on the A9.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/a9-cameras-already-curbing-speeders-1.428002

I really don't know what the fuss is about, most drivers seem to regard the speed limit as a target no matter the conditions rain/wind or fog even worse as mentioned on previous threads 5/10 mph above the minimum seems to be the norm. For me it's more regulation rather than less that's needed - it would make me feel safer out on the road

Edited by Bud the Baker

Again it's not the same stretch of road we're talking about but it seems to be working.......

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/a9-cameras-already-curbing-speeders-1.428002

I really don't know what the fuss is about, most drivers seem to regard the speed limit as a target no matter the conditions rain/wind or fog even worse as mentioned on previous threads 5/10 mph above the minimum seems to be the norm. For me it's more regulation rather than less that's needed - it would make me feel safer out on the road

This section is still part of the A9 average speed camera stretch, all 30 miles of dual carriageway.

We would be better with more fixed speed cameras at right turn black spots, this would do the job for this stretch. They only have them at Blackford and 2 at Auchterarder.

The speed of the drivers isn't the issue, it's the careless overtaking by impatient drivers that cause accidents.

Will the average speed cameras stop this? I don't think so.

Now cars can't pull out and boot it past a few slow moving vehicles, they may pull out and attempt to overtake with less acceleration and speed, keeping them in the wrong side of the road for longer.

Speed isn't the issue, it's poor decision making from impatient drivers which will continue IMHO.

Edit to add - speed can't be that big of an issue, we're allowing HGV's to increase their speed to 50mph on single carriageway sections, I assume to reduce the need to overtake?

Edited by davidg

This section is still part of the A9 average speed camera stretch, all 30 miles of dual carriageway.

We would be better with more fixed speed cameras at right turn black spots, this would do the job for this stretch. They only have them at Blackford and 2 at Auchterarder.

The speed of the drivers isn't the issue, it's the careless overtaking by impatient drivers that cause accidents.

Now cars can't pull out and boot it past a few slow moving vehicles, they may pull out and attempt to overtake with less acceleration and speed, keeping them in the wrong side of the road for longer.

Speed isn't the issue, it's poor decision making from impatient drivers which will continue IMHO.

I use the A9 occasionally. Last time I did, the cameras were causing massive tailbacks as, despite there being signs stating the cameras were not in use, most drivers sat around 50 as they thought the cameras were live and they were unsure of speed limit for each stretch of road. Whenever there was a truck or caravan in the mix, the queue slowed to 35/40mph. Overtaking was impossible as there was a fairly solid line as far as the road let you see.Occasionally frustration caused some idiot to "have a go" and after passing several cars they would then have to force their way back in to avoid head on collisions. My journey which usually takes 3hrs 15mins or so took 4hrs 30mins!

Yes, I arrived safely despite the slow journey, but I can guarantee the frustration brought on by the queues the cameras cause will mean some others don't arrive in one piece!

I have a weekend booked in Glasgow next month and despite wanting to go in the car it will be the train for me (us),road will be busy on a Friday and I can foresee many drivers holding back when the cameras are in force with the resulting queues tailing back. Maybe that is the plan....get us all on the overpriced* slow trains.

* Not if you are over 55 clap.gif £19 anywhere in Scotland Returnfor the next few weeks......

Off to Inverness tomorrow, Slow lorries , Caravans & old gits wearing hats while driving . Cant Wait .happy.png

Why does a person of any age wear a hat in a car ? 1eye.gif

Plenty folk between the ages of 17 and 70 wearing baseball caps while driving 1eye.giflol.gif

And why do women and jessies play with their hair while stopped at traffic lights ? 1eye.gif

Assuming they fixed their hair before driving off and the windows are closed for the journey, what's the point of barnet fumbling ? 1eye.gif

The A77 example might be difficult to apply to the A9, as the road goes through villages and is a worse standard.

Do I think the cameras will work? I'm unsure, they may reduce the very small number of idiots but there is the possibility of increased frustration causing accidents. Equally they don't pick up bikers.

I have issues with the way a lot of people quote 'accident rates' statistically too. Put simply people often have a habit of picking '3 years' but don't consider if these 3 years were normal. It's regression to the mean. Too often people just quote numbers without thinking.

I think the money would be better spent closing right turn gaps on the duel carriageway sections and grade separating them.

Complete waste of time & Money, even if you drove this road and managed to avoid being behind a Caravan, lorry, slow driver or encounter Roadworks chances are you'll stop for a break at House of Bruar or Rallia,

Money would have been better spent upgrading another section to Dual Carriageway or providing psychiatric help to the Guy in the layby just before Bruar.

And what is the purpose of telling drivers that the camera's are not in operation ?

Edit to add - speed can't be that big of an issue, we're allowing HGV's to increase their speed to 50mph on single carriageway sections, I assume to reduce the need to overtake?

We're never going to agree but like I said I heard the same arguments 10 years ago regarding the A77 and it's worked there.

And why do women and jessies play with their hair while stopped at traffic lights ? 1eye.gif

Assuming they fixed their hair before driving off and the windows are closed for the journey, what's the point of barnet fumbling ? 1eye.gif

They're flirting with you Shull.

Who widnae want a taxi driver?

I have a weekend booked in Glasgow next month and despite wanting to go in the car it will be the train for me (us),road will be busy on a Friday and I can foresee many drivers holding back when the cameras are in force with the resulting queues tailing back. Maybe that is the plan....get us all on the overpriced* slow trains.

* Not if you are over 55 clap.gif £19 anywhere in Scotland Returnfor the next few weeks......

Forgot you live up that way , don't you think the scenic route is just as quick with these cameras in place. I was very surprised when going to the Ross County game how quick it actually is so returned the same route.

I'll be heading to Dornoch on Tuesday afternoon, I'll reset my wee computer thingy and see what my average speed over the trip is. I bet it's less than 60mph even with me driving around 90mph on the dual carriageway sections.

I wouldn't mind the average speed cameras so much if they were restricted to single carriageway sections, get as much traffic past the slow moving HGV's and caravans on these stretches = less frustration and overtaking on the single carriageway sections.

It seems that the main argument against the speed cameras is that they are not the complete solution.

That is an intellectually barren argument.

Speed cameras will definitely help. There's never been a situation where introducing them has increased accidents.

Therefore at worst we can expect the situation to remain as it is.

At best we'll see those who are speeding sorted out.

As for the overtaking. This is true but easily fixed - simply ban overtaking on the single carriageways.

It beggars belief that people are actually whining about having to drive at 50 mph for a few hours.

Why are people always in such a rush that they are prepared to risk their lives and everyone else's?

Less than 100 years ago people couldn't have contemplated making this sort of trip at all.

Now we are whining and moaning because it's 4 hours? FFS get a grip.

Is it worth the risk just to catch the start of Eastenders?

Edited by oaksoft

Why are people always in such a rush that they are prepared to risk their lives and everyone else's?

Less than 100 years ago people couldn't have contemplated making this sort of trip at all.

Now we are whining and moaning because it's 4 hours? FFS get a grip.

Is it worth the risk just to catch the start of Eastenders?

I bet that was covered in the YES White Paper!

Scotland should have voted differently.

:offtopic You should know better. :thumbsdown

I do.

I drive up and down the A9 aw the time.

If slow vehicles would pull in to let others pass there would be no frustration.

The problem is not there (in my perception) outside the Summer months with tourists clogging the road, "enjoying" the scenery on their holidays. The cameras will hit regular good drivers unnecessarily.

(Btw I flew up to Sneckie and hired a car on Saturday... avoiding the drive).

I do.

If slow vehicles would pull in to let others pass there would be no frustration.

The problem is not there (in my perception) outside the Summer months with tourists clogging the road, "enjoying" the scenery on their holidays. The cameras will hit regular good drivers unnecessarily.

Always someone else's fault.

No personal responsibility.

Did I translate that fairly accurately?

Always someone else's fault.

No personal responsibility.

Did I translate that fairly accurately?

No. Poorly.

Whether or not there are average speed cameras is no big deal.

Accidents will not be reduced. Travellers will be impeded on their journeys.

That is all.

I blame no one: I am blameless: it is what it is.

You're stupid, though. :)

I do.

What utter tripe.

Hit GOOD drivers?

How will they possibly hit GOOD drivers?

Good drivers don't speed.

No. Poorly.

Whether or not there are average speed cameras is no big deal.

Accidents will not be reduced. Travellers will be impeded on their journeys.

That is all.

The only possible reason why travellers could be impeded would be if those drivers would normally speed.

Is there such a thing as SAFE speeding?

Are you really this arrogant and self centred?

I'll be heading to Dornoch on Tuesday afternoon, I'll reset my wee computer thingy and see what my average speed over the trip is. I bet it's less than 60mph even with me driving around 90mph on the dual carriageway sections.

90 mph?????

TBH people driving at that speed on that road deserve to have their license pulled.

That's absolutely fecking crazy.

This is the sort of reckless nonsense those cameras werre installed to try and prevent.

Nobody should be put at risk by this behaviour when they are trying to get home to their families.

I do.

No, it's the reckless drivers that do that.