Anne Lennox So Out Of Touch

Isle Of Bute Saint

Lennox in the press saying Scots need to grow up in their hatred of the English going onto say it's embarrassing.

Where is she getting that from her own head. During the Independence debate I never picked up anti English feelings in fact can remember thinking to myself how much as a country we had moved on , debating what was good or not for Scotland. Heard many politicians saying our debate would also be good for the rest of the UK. Here a woman who lives between London and South Africa who for me is so out of touch with people from her own country.

Katy Tunstall is another I read with similar comments to Lennox.

Yes the country did appear to move on during the referendum debate - not in terms of attitude or rhetoric, just in terms of language. Instead of talking about being anti-English, the Yes Campaign changed the language so we were now anti-"London", anti-"Westminster", anti-"Tory Toffs", anti-"privately educated people", anti"BBC", and anti-"UKIP voters" which the Yes Campaign seemed to believe the whole of England was now most likely to be.

I haven't seen Annie Lennox's comments anywhere but if she has indeed said what you claim she has, I would be in full agreement with her. It's about time Scots learned to define ourselves as what we are - and not what we are "anti". It's also very much time that we stopped blaming England for anything negative in Scotland and started owning up to Scotlands own failings. Some Yes Campaigners, even on this thread, claimed that we needed independence to take responsibility for our own actions - well we don't!

Well, well no surprise. When writing the above thought SD will be the first to post and of course agree with Lennox.

Even people in the north of England say Westminster and the Tory government are out of touch with their area that is not being anti English Stuart.

Where is she getting that from her own head. During the Independence debate I never picked up anti English feelings in fact can remember thinking to myself how much as a country we had moved on .......

Where have you been for the last 50 years!!!! Anti-English sentiment is unfortunately rife in Scotland and ranks alongside the other bigotry we know and hate. It's just that nationalism is seen as some kind of glorious gesture rather than the nasty form of self-indulgent bigotry it is. Nothing good ever comes from nationalism - look around the world and see the multitude of schisms it has created. The only good nationalism is internationalism.

Where have you been for the last 50 years!!!! Anti-English sentiment is unfortunately rife in Scotland and ranks alongside the other bigotry we know and hate. It's just that nationalism is seen as some kind of glorious gesture rather than the nasty form of self-indulgent bigotry it is. Nothing good ever comes from nationalism - look around the world and see the multitude of schisms it has created. The only good nationalism is internationalism.

For yourself and TopCat,

The internet is full of history. You show me an article of anti English sentiment by Scottish politicians.

Show me where Joe public and Include myself in this wrote anti English sentiment.

The only trouble came from unionists in George square throwing bottles and flares that springs to mind with me.

For yourself and TopCat,

The internet is full of history. You show me an article of anti English sentiment by Scottish politicians.

Show me where Joe public and Include myself in this wrote anti English sentiment.

The only trouble came from unionists in George square throwing bottles and flares that springs to mind with me.

None so blind as those who cannot see huh?

Those people in George Square that you are referring to were Scots. Their behaviour deserved abuse I guess, but I never could quite understand why some of the Saltire carriers at the scene were calling them "English bastards". :rolleyes:

Tell me as well IOBS, what happened when English writer JK Rowling donated money to the Better Together campaign? Do you not remember? Will I dig out some of the xenophobic tweets that were made on her account by pro nationalists presumably from Scotland? What about the cries of "quisling" aimed at Jim Murphy on the campaign trail? And there's so, so much more.

To claim there's no anti English sentiment in Scotland anymore just shows you up for the idiot you really are!

There were dafties on both sides throwing about anti-this and anti-that comments. That being said, I saw far more of it from the English and British Nationalists than I saw from the Yes side. It shouldn't be tolerated from any side of any debate.

If you have a problem with someone because they are a dickhead (awaits all the "you are a dickhead" comments) then that is fine since whether a dickhead is black, white, Muslim, Christian, atheist, English, Scottish, Chinese, deaf, blind, in a wheelchair or they just happen to be a wee fat pipefitter from Lanarkshire, they are still a dickhead.

Having said that, all zombie fc supporters are dickheads and they can all GTF. thumbup2.gif

Why do you always do that? Indeed why is this forum full of people who do that? I never understand that.

IoBS started the thread claiming that Annie Lennox was "out of touch" when she claimed that it was time Scots grew up and dumped the anti-English sentiment. In this post you've agreed that the anti-English sentiment was indeed prevalent. However, rather than condemn this behaviour, you choose to excuse it and justify it by claiming that it's not as bad as those in the No Campaign. Do you realise how pathetic that makes you look? Of course anti-English sentiment shouldn't be tolerated from either those who supported the Yes Campaign, or the No Campaign, but why water down your condemnation by claiming the other side was more guilty than yours?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Those people in George Square that you are referring to were Scots. Their behaviour deserved abuse I guess, but I never could quite understand why some of the Saltire carriers at the scene were calling them "English bastards". rolleyes.gif

Tell me as well IOBS, what happened when English writer JK Rowling donated money to the Better Together campaign? Do you not remember? Will I dig out some of the xenophobic tweets that were made on her account by pro nationalists presumably from Scotland? What about the cries of "quisling" aimed at Jim Murphy on the campaign trail? And there's so, so much more.

To claim there's no anti English sentiment in Scotland anymore just shows you up for the idiot you really are!

Oh you were in George Square ? Oh aye I remember you were not in George square. Naff said

Those people in George Square that you are referring to were Scots. Their behaviour deserved abuse I guess, but I never could quite understand why some of the Saltire carriers at the scene were calling them "English bastards". rolleyes.gif

Nice of the billionaire JK Rowling to find the time to WRITE to the Scottish people giving her advice on which way they should vote.....

What a pompous and yet naive wummin she must be?

Oh you were in George Square ? Oh aye I remember you were not in George square. Naff said

I was actually near George Square on the night in question. It was the night of the Partick Thistle v St Mirren match. I had attended the game with my youngest son, and we were making our way home from the match attempting to join the East Bound M8 motorway. Those using the same route will also remember that the on ramp at Charing Cross was closed and there was quite a bit of congestion heading through Cowcaddens. We diverted from the route to head through the town to join the M74 instead and at our closest point we were probably around 150 - 200m away from George Square. We saw some of the "incidents" in the surrounding streets at the Merchant City side of the town although we certainly didn't witness any of the violence.

Don't make assumptions IoBS - you just look foolish

Nice of the billionaire JK Rowling to find the time to WRITE to the Scottish people giving her advice on which way they should vote.....

What a pompous and yet naive wummin she must be?

Aye she may well be. I don't particularly agree with the women's politics either. After all she was a strong supporter of Gordon Brown and Tony Blair when they were in office. However disagreeing with her politics or her reasons for donating to Better Together is one thing, the tide of hate filled xenophobic anti-English abuse the woman took for it was quite another.

Anyway, to cite another example this one has appeared in the Daily Record for tomorrow. Is Annie Lennox out of touch? I don't think so. This kind of shite happens all too often in Scotland regardless of what way an individual would vote in a referendum.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Aye she may well be. I don't particularly agree with the women's politics either. After all she was a strong supporter of Gordon Brown and Tony Blair when they were in office. However disagreeing with her politics or her reasons for donating to Better Together is one thing, the tide of hate filled xenophobic anti-English abuse the woman took for it was quite another.

Anyway, to cite another example this one has appeared in the Daily Record for tomorrow. Is Annie Lennox out of touch? I don't think so. This kind of shite happens all too often in Scotland regardless of what way an individual would vote in a referendum.

it happens a lot more in Englandshire, indeed they have political parties that have hate and discrimination as their one and only policy. Or Annie's other home South Africa.... Mibbaes she could start preaching like the harry potter woman a bit closer to home?

it happens a lot more in Englandshire, indeed they have political parties that have hate and discrimination as their one and only policy. Or Annie's other home South Africa.... Mibbaes she could start preaching like the harry potter woman a bit closer to home?

And yet again, this bizarre defence is offered up. Do you think it works? Lets say Harold Shipman used the defence of "yes, I murdered loads of people but at least Im not Robert Black" do you think he might have got off? :rolleyes:

Also, who is this single policy political party that England has that Scotland doesn't. That one has got me interested cause I would say that in Scotland we really do have a single issue party in Government whos single policy is a derivative of their prejudice, hate and discrimination of a single nation

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS

UKIP exists in Scotland. Indeed im sure they beat the Lib Dems in the European elections here

Yes, my post was just a cheap joke at u(kip's) expense. It was as accurate as your post regarding SNP being a single issue party.

Of course there are people in Scotland that hate the English , l have met people in various countries throughout the world , that hate them. The old colonies like the Caribbean states and Australia are the worst for it. .

However , it is wrong of Annie to attribute that to the nation as a whole, she is generalising which is wrong, ,l would say it just isn't prevalent in our society . Scots are far more tolerant than other nations when it comes to race . .

I reckon Annie's agent told her that she needed some publicity and to make a controversial statement. .

. .as for Jim Murphy getting called a Quisling , that is shocking. . .

. .l can actually think of a far better slur. .wink.png

Guest TPAFKATS

Poor Jim Murphy, I hope he's able to take solace in his expenses, around £170k last year on top of his salary ( over £100k for a shadow minister?). The people of Barrhead must be very pwoud.

Poor Jim Murphy, I hope he's able to take solace in his expenses, around £170k last year on top of his salary ( over £100k for a shadow minister?). The people of Barrhead must be very pwoud.

I always voted Conservative when I resided in Barrhead.

And yet again, this bizarre defence is offered up. Do you think it works? Lets say Harold Shipman used the defence of "yes, I murdered loads of people but at least Im not Robert Black" do you think he might have got off? rolleyes.gif

Also, who is this single policy political party that England has that Scotland doesn't. That one has got me interested cause I would say that in Scotland we really do have a single issue party in Government whos single policy is a derivative of their prejudice, hate and discrimination of a single nation

Bollocks! to your first bit. you know yir fat arse is oot the windae on this one

And funny such a well informed chap like you hasn't heard of the BNP, or even UKIP.... Since Annie lives in England and not Scotland perhaps she can tell us what she makes of that lot on her doorstep?

then again maybe UKIp as in United Kingdom Independence Party... isnt as the name suggests a single issue party??? maybe they have a plan to increase foreign aid spending, and details of how they intend to train the Peshmerg???

Bollocks! to your first bit. you know yir fat arse is oot the windae on this one

And funny such a well informed chap like you hasn't heard of the BNP, or even UKIP.... Since Annie lives in England and not Scotland perhaps she can tell us what she makes of that lot on her doorstep?

then again maybe UKIp as in United Kingdom Independence Party... isnt as the name suggests a single issue party??? maybe they have a plan to increase foreign aid spending, and details of how they intend to train the Peshmerg???

Strange. I was sure UKIP and the BNP stood candidate s in Scotland too. Oh yes they do. UKIP even have one Scottish MEP representing us having taken more than 10% of the vote....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu-regions/S15000001