The Ice Hockey Thread

shull

Games off mate,pitch is frozen.

They actually had the opposite problem last week one period was delayed as the ice was melting and they had to clear the water that was lying on top of the ice.

Should be a good game tonight as this is one of the biggest rivalries in the league.

Head coach of Fife Flyers in his post match interview said that they wanted to make it tough for first few minutes, that they lost a quick goal followed by another quick one while still reeling which "sucked the life out of our legs" and that the game was then lost for them.

Reminds me of some other game I watched today!

Wed 21st against Coventry in the Challenge Cup 2nd leg Bronze section tickets £10 adults kids £5.

More like it. thumbup2.gif

Although,we enjoyed being in the Silver section tonight.

Edited by shull

Tonight

Hull Stingrays 1 Braehead Clan 4

Every time I see the name I think of Braehead in Glenburn. Stole one of our names. In the winter of 1963 guys played ice hockey on both Linns and up on the big dam near the golf course- I've forgotten its name. Mates of mine regularly skated up and down Glenburn Road, Knockside Avenue and in Greenbank Drive where I lived. Folk skated up to the Braehead shops. Seems incredible now. 63 was a real hard winter.

Ice hockey not as civilised as I thought. lol.gifbangin.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/ice-hockey/30741982

You could see the wee dude on Sportscene going into meltdown if Jim Goodwin did that on the pitch.

Fife player Nickerson got banned last season for an eye gouge during a fight.(funnily enough he was also banned for the game you were at on Saturday)

You could see the wee dude on Sportscene going into meltdown if Jim Goodwin did that on the pitch.

Fife player Nickerson got banned last season for an eye gouge during a fight.(funnily enough he was also banned for the game you were at on Saturday)

Good fun though.

Good fun though.

I think I only ever saw one Paisley Pirates match at Paisley Ice Rink but when the Mohawks came along in the early 60's I used to go nearly every Sunday night. In the early days fights used to break out all over the place (usually, but not always among the players) but most of it I always thought was kind of handbags at dawn stuff. Some looked almost as orchestrated as WW Wrestling. It was fun enough to watch but then the Mohawks went pro and a league started and most of the fighting stopped. A lot of fans gave up because they liked a bit of rough. I remember one big ex-Pirate playing in the Mohawks early days. He was getting on a bit and must have weighed about 20 stone although he was way over 6 ft. tall. I think he was called Jumbo Brown? Seems he was quite wealthy. I think he owned a haulage company. Anyway, he got whacked one night and went absolutely ape-shit. He was a sight to see angry and the bloke that hit him was a sorry fella that night along with most of his team mates. Blood was shed. Fantastic entertainment.