St Mirren V Ross County Spfl Premiership 25/10/14

shull

teale was fit today and warmed up at least 2-3 times,but the last 15 minutes tc just went into defensive mode ,happy with a point at home to the worst team in the league,,

Ya beauty ...............

WE'RE NO THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE

Some of us knew that anyway.

Full time 2-2.

On balance, score was about right. We made it 2-2 and you're thinking, go on and win it now. We were just hopeless for the rest of the game and could have lost it.

Graham Carey, what a game he had. His dead balls were causing us no end of troubles. I said when he was here his dead balls were the best in the country and I stand by that. He scored one and set up the other for County today.

That's daylight between us and the bottom 2, so not all bad I guess.

Not all bad? Aye, a draw at home to the bottom side in the league ain't bad.

Your hypocrisy is laughable.

Surprised to see so many Saints fans down on our performance today.

For the first 70 minutes Saints were playing some great stuff, and RC were barely in the game.

We should have been out of site, but therein lies our problems... we can't finish our good set up play, and our defence is prone to costly errors.

Free header from RCs first corner - and indeed first foray in to our half - for the first; and then Goodwin too easily muscled off the ball for the second.

Although I think the officials screwed up when Gardyne and Arquin were through on the keeper. Think Gardwyn was onside, Arquin probably off, and was surprised when the flag went up.

Not sure what happened to Ball when Reilly (I think) knocked the ball across the goal to him in what would have been one of the best counter attacking goals I'd ever have seen us score. Amazing move; dreadful end.

We totally fell out of it in the last 20 minutes. Surprised that there was no sign of anyone coming from our bench during that time. I know our inexperienced squad is down to bare bones, but Teale was on the bench and expected to see him (or even Marwood) come on so we'd go for the win.

The fans are down on the performance and result because it is a Ross County team who have been bottom of the league all season and who lost 0-5 to a mediocre Celtic team last week that we drew against. County only had 4 shots on target and scored 2 of them and hit the bar and had a probably good goal chalked off. In other words they could have scored 3 or 4 goals without playing well or having much possession in the first 70 minutes.

No one has really posted about all Mark Brown's great saves today.

There is no big hard luck story in 2-2 against the worst team in the league... it was about right.

The fans are down on the performance and result because it is a Ross County team who have been bottom of the league all season and who lost 0-5 to a mediocre Celtic team last week that we drew against.

while I agree with most of your posts, did we really draw with celtic?

and while they may be 'mediocre' relatively speaking, they will still win the league. easily.

For whatever reason (probably lack of money/good judgement) we have off-loaded a number of players at the end of the last few seasons only to try to make up lost ground as each season progressed by selecting inferior players from those they replaced. We have thus given ourselves a huge hurdle to get over and this all of our own making.

Aside from the loan players we have made use of but couldn't afford to keep, we have disposed of the likes of Samson, Carey, McGowan, Harkins, Tesselaar, Imrie and McGinn. Granted not all of them achieved their full potential at St Mirren but where does the fault lie for that? At least we managed to re-sign Tess.

As a result of this disruptive strategy we end up chasing our tails after the obligitory poor start to each season.

The present pool of players is youthful but could develop into a useful team - given time, which we don't have.

Today's game illustrated our obvious weaknesses - an attack with no natural goal scorers and a defence which lacks concentration and organisation and is easily panicked - even by the likes of Ross County!

All we can do as supporters is hope that the current personnel can turn things round before it is too late.

However we are where we are in the league by merit and nothing else.

What hypocrisy?

When I said it wasn't bad I was clearly referring to our position after the first round of fixtures.

Please, point out my hypocrisy with quotes.

I think you'll find we are still 10th, just like we were at the start of play today and Motherwell are still 11th and Ross County are still 12th and we've pulled 1 point away from 11th. Being 1 point ahead of 11th might count for something in early May but I don't know what it proves at the end of October in terms of SPL survival.

It counts for being on course for remaining in the league

What is your issue with Tommy? I think you defended Danny when we were 11th ( you're a bit beige, apologies if I'm mistaking you with someone else )..Do you have personal issues with our manager?

What is your issue with Tommy? I think you defended Danny when we were 11th ( you're a bit beige, apologies if I'm mistaking you with someone else )..Do you have personal issues with our manager?

I cant speak for dibble but my issue with tommy is that he is a sh1t manager

nothing personal though

I would stop feeding this particular trol. he seems to be revelling in his notoriety and trying to redeem his shitty behaviour last year by pretending to be balanced and factual in respect of Mr Craig.

He is obviously trying to explain away his reprehensible behaviour last year by attempting to portay himself as a Dickson-style wind up merchant.

like all others, he will go away if ignored (maybe coming back with a new identity if he is still hooked on the attention)

Edited by beyond our ken

The only issue I have with Tommy Craig is his record with St Mirren is similar to his record with Charleroi and I don't think he should have been appointed.

I defended Danny Lennon because from his 2nd season on I thought he either did well or OK for us. I defended him when we were 11th last season after our bad start and predicted we would finish 8th or 9th and that some account should also be taken of the League Cup win and 8th place the previous season. Last year we finished 8th despite a honking season in the transfer market and Lennon serving time on DVZ, Barron and Mair and I fully expected Lennon to have overhauled the defence has he stayed on.

Up until we made it 2-2 I felt we were by the far the better team, and I felt we would go on to a deserved win.

As soon as we scored, we were hopeless for the remainder. No idea why Tommy didn't through Marwood and/or Teale on at the end.

It was two poor sides in reality, that striker for County was absolutely woeful.

That's what this league is though, we aren't any good, but the teams around us aren't any good either.

At no point were we 'by far the better team'. We were poor, and so were they, but they had the better chances.

The only issue I have with Tommy Craig is his record with St Mirren is similar to his record with Charleroi and I don't think he should have been appointed.

I defended Danny Lennon because from his 2nd season on I thought he either did well or OK for us. I defended him when we were 11th last season after our bad start and predicted we would finish 8th or 9th and that some account should also be taken of the League Cup win and 8th place the previous season. Last year we finished 8th despite a honking season in the transfer market and Lennon serving time on DVZ, Barron and Mair and I fully expected Lennon to have overhauled the defence has he stayed on.

I don't think Lennon could have stayed. He had been loyal to McGowan and the board were never going sanction a new contract for Paul

Craig and an unknown cohort of playerseffectively handed Lennon his jotters knowing that the "he goes or I go" stance was too rich for the board's blood. weakness at the top has caused this perfect shit-storm

some folk are easily pleased

10th spot in a league with rangers and hearts is poor

1 point at home going into November is awful

I know. but we're no the worst.

And sorry to break the news to you .....

The team above ( not Hearts ) died in 2012.

And it still makes me laugh lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

I think we need to give the team more backing. We have probably the youngest squad we have had in years and yes we make mistakes but we also play some decent stuff. Most teams are more physical and we struggle to brake them down. I don't feel it's all the managers fault for the state of the squad as I feel the board have made it their mission to get as many young players in the team as possible in the hope we can sell them on. In the appointment of Craig they had a manager used to working with youth players at the top level with Celtic and Scotland so they probably thought he was the man to do it. Unfortunately we cannot be a success without experience and we don't have the finances to match. We need to sell the club before we can move forward.

It was actually bigger than last week, believe it or not clap.gif

v ICT 3409 (165 ICT fans ... 3244 Saints fans)

v RC 3459 (183 RC fans) .. 3276 Saints fans

But all home games are down compared to last seasons fixtures.

Not a great result today but not a disaster.

Tough game next week, hopefully we can go get a result.

I actually don't think it was all that bad a game.

We were well on top for long phases... and has some absolutely wonderful passing moves. For spells, we were actually a joy to watch.

Our problem is twofold and is obvious.

Up front, we miss the Tommohawk like nobody would have believed. This is a tragic bit of bad luck... but that said... Thommo is a class above anybody we could realistically expect to have at the club... and we need to prepare for life after him anyway!!!

Bigger problem is a long standing one... when we are so defensively fragile, we can have all the possession in the world and all the pretty passing movements out... but we can be cut open and destroyed by one simple pass.

Twice we were sucker punched when well on top.

It is to our credit that twice we fought back... but those defensive frailties have been glaringly obvious for how long now?

Full marks to McLean and McGinn who are starting to look like a midfield partnership that can function without a minder... our boys are growing up!!! Please get off their backs and encourage them....can you even begin to imagine life without them at present?!

Still wondering what on earth Caldwell has to do to get a run! He had a presence and a lot more effective movement when he came on. Ball is devoid of confidence... that was obvious in his missed sitter. Had he simply thrown himself in the direction of the ball I'm convinced it would have bounced off him and in... but he didn't want to hit it first time and misjudged the bounce completely... purely a confidence issue imo.

Ultimately a draw was right and fair... but what a lost opportunity.

Highlights available here.

Same link Joe normally provides.

http://uk.proxfree.com/permalink.php?url=yx%2BhnYCyg4s24iThgBXg7eD%2BgixM%2BhdmOP7qE3TZgUMb1JWCWwK91%2Fg5pITIXJdxGRKjwP9mo3EjjaJdjbfIZOhz0Wr1m1MwAgz7YLt%2BdZDwzLJ0ZAPSJI%2F7dZx0Ywcd&bit=1

If it doesn't work, change the ip location to USA.

Edit to add, hi lights stop after Carey scores, doesn't show our equaliser.

County second chopped off was correct decision, first one is inconclusive as it doesn't show Kelly and attacker when ball is played. When it does show them the attacker is goal side of Kelly, hard to tell.

Edited by davidg