St Mirren V Ross County Spfl Premiership 25/10/14

shull

I was chatting to a 'Well first team regular at a gig this week , he was saying that they already have deals in place for new arrivals in January. I don't expect them to be around the bottom feeders by early spring.

Hopefully they'll perform as well as the players they've already recruited this season so far.

Also, I'm sure we'll bring in other players too and may well have identified suitable targets. I might need to wait until I bump into a first team regular to find out though.tongue.png

TC is clueless, but I don't see McIntyre, Wright or McCall covering themselves in glory either.

Edited by FTOF

I'm not anti-Tommy Craig and I am sure he deserves some credit for the improvement from Danny's 2nd season on. I'm sure part of the improvement was Danny had a better measure of the league and what was required to... oh and a few other factors would also include signings like Goodwin, Thompson, Teale, Hasselbaink, Tesselaar that season and McLean continuing his progress from the previous season.

Thompson & Teale would probably have signed for St. Mirren that season regardless of who was manager or assistant and they were a big part of the "improvement" when Craig arrived.

In addition, the signing of Goodwin the previous season meant that he went into the new season bedded in.

And, as you state, McLean was also growing into a first team players while John McGinn emerged the following season followed by Kelly & Naismith after that.

IMO, we "improved" despite the arrived of Tommy Craig.

And, in terms of the league, I think that the matter of "improvement" is up for debate...

Terrible , terrible game with this season's relegated 2 on show. Unless we get shot of Clueless Craig now we're heading for another few years in oblivion. For fuxake someone hurry up and buy the club and at least we can be rid of the apathy which exists within the clubs hierarchy !

Entertainment wise it was a huge improvement on most of what we have served up at home this season. The game may have been devoid of real quality but it was a decent enough watch for the most part and a far better game than v ICT. It was a long way from a "terible, terrible" game. We still are very lacking up top but at least middfield and defenders are chipping in with a few goals. We created enough chances we really need a striker to step up to the plate and deliver. Ball might yet but the quicker a fully fit Thommo is back the better as even at 36 he is easily our best option.

A game you think we have to win if we don't want to be in the bottom two at the end of the season. We were fortunate due to a mistake by the officials. In patches we looked good until the ball reached the penalty area where we continue to pose little or no threat. If it wasn't for McLean and McGinn we would be in deep s...t. I have read the report on the front page and I'm puzzled by the glowing comments in reference to Sean Kelly. The way I saw the last two games, he has been our worst defender by far. His input did improve when Tess was put behind him late in the second half, but his defensive contribution is very, very poor. The lack of attacking quality is worrying and will be until better quality is brought in, I fear for our Premier League status.

Edited by islaysaint

Saints completely outplayed Well on the opening game of the season. Seemed like one of those 'funny old game' things when Well nicked an undeserved winner.

However Well have proven to be just as bad as they looked that day.

We too will have the opportunity to sign players in January - and hopefully we may have Thompson back fit again.

Osborne and Teale will also surely become available again.

For the last few weeks we have been playing with a very very young team; with several players being asked to play more major roles than anyone expected at the start of the season. .

I expected Elvis to say we were poor yesterday, but genuinely suprised at the reaction of so many others.

I thought we played some excellent stuff in very large parts of the game and with some of our injured players back, and maybe one or two signings in January I don't see why so many have us as relegation certs.

With all of the doom and gloom around the performances, and our long losing streak at the start, you might think we'd be lucky to be only 4-5 points behind second bottom. We're not.

Saints completely outplayed Well on the opening game of the season. Seemed like one of those 'funny old game' things when Well nicked an undeserved winner.

However Well have proven to be just as bad as they looked that day.

We too will have the opportunity to sign players in January - and hopefully we may have Thompson back fit again.

Osborne and Teale will also surely become available again.

For the last few weeks we have been playing with a very very young team; with several players being asked to play more major roles than anyone expected at the start of the season. .

I expected Elvis to say we were poor yesterday, but genuinely suprised at the reaction of so many others.

I thought we played some excellent stuff in very large parts of the game and with some of our injured players back, and maybe one or two signings in January I don't see why so many have us as relegation certs.

With all of the doom and gloom around the performances, and our long losing streak at the start, you might think we'd be lucky to be only 4-5 points behind second bottom. We're not.

Only Elvis never commented on the game yesterday i did not have to more and more people are coming round to my way of thinking .

Wasn't there yesterday and just caught up with highlights from Alba - was expecting us to be rank going by comments I'd read.

Thought we looked much, much better than County, dominated midfield and with a confident striker up front would have won comfortably.

In terms of attempts on goal, possession and corners the stats back that up too.

Admittedly it's easier to see the positives when you've not parted with cash to sit in the pissing rain watching a draw against a truly terrible team but I'm not overly concerned about relegation at the moment.

Wasn't there yesterday and just caught up with highlights from Alba - was expecting us to be rank going by comments I'd read.

Thought we looked much, much better than County, dominated midfield and with a confident striker up front would have won comfortably.

In terms of attempts on goal, possession and corners the stats back that up too.

Admittedly it's easier to see the positives when you've not parted with cash to sit in the pissing rain watching a draw against a truly terrible team but I'm not overly concerned about relegation at the moment.

I'm one of the sad acts that did exactly that yesterday and would now like a pint of what you are having.

Having watched the highlights I can see the supposed foul for our chopped of goal , which , makes the foul committed on Kello at their first goal look far worse . .

The goal they had chopped off for off side was a mile off side , as they had been for most of the day , however , at most games now , the linesmen are continually in the wrong positions to call an off side . .

As for Ball , he is good with the ball at his feet but otherwise. .

Having watched the highlights I can see the supposed foul for our chopped of goal , which , makes the foul committed on Kello at their first goal look far worse . .

The goal they had chopped off for off side was a mile off side , as they had been for most of the day , however , at most games now , the linesmen are continually in the wrong positions to call an off side . .

Our goal being chopped off was harsh indeed. It's Naismith, who just seems to get tangled up with their defender. Neither of them were going to get to the ball anyway, so it had no effect on Kenny heading it home.

A sore one, but we got it back with the linesman's mistake for offside.

Also, their first goal was a foul IMO. So looks like the officials have done us again :P

Edited by TopCat

Every one I believe has accepted the officials got the offside decision with Gardyne and Aqrquin wrong.

However the highlights show that Saints first goal shouldn't have been chopped off (Naismith actually pushed from behind causing him to contact the player in front) and Arquin definitely doing an ice hockey blocking job on Kello for RC's first.

Shame the usual Sportscene highlights programme missed Ball's great chance in the second half... same as Ball then.

Every one I believe has accepted the officials got the offside decision with Gardyne and Aqrquin wrong.

However the highlights show that Saints first goal shouldn't have been chopped off (Naismith actually pushed from behind causing him to contact the player in front) and Arquin definitely doing an ice hockey blocking job on Kello for RC's first.

Shame the usual Sportscene highlights programme missed Ball's great chance in the second half... same as Ball then.

Don Robertson couldn't believe we would score from a corner , that is why he probably chopped the goal aff. .

Have you given up Neil or were you working ?

I was there Ian . I still can't believe Ball missed that sitter , it was a Chris lwelumo moment. .

It happened in slo mo right in front of me ... I could see him think... it was as if there was a thought bubble above him... he wanted to hit it but knew he would have to score... he then decided to wait for the bounce to give him more time to prepare... but the bounce then beat him by taking the ball away from him... tragic but all down to confidence.

A Confident striker would simply have thrown himself at the ball.

It happened in slo mo right in front of me ... I could see him think... it was as if there was a thought bubble above him... he wanted to hit it but knew he would have to score... he then decided to wait for the bounce to give him more time to prepare... but the bounce then beat him by taking the ball away from him... tragic but all down to confidence.

A Confident striker would simply have thrown himself at the ball.

Whilst a talented one would have scored.

Having sat through Saturday's game, and having read the comments on here, I'd make the following comments:

1/ The game on Saturday was better than I expected, given the fact that the bookie's favourites to fill the bottom two slots were playing each other in atrocious conditions.

2/ We may well have had players in the Sun team of the day, but Man of the Match was Graham Carey. We still have nobody who can deliver balls into the box like he can.

3/ The far-side linesman was very late with his flag several times, but I did think he was wrong to flag Gardyne offside for what would have been their second goal..

4/ If County had been better at beating the offside trap, they'd have won easily.

5/ Kenny McLean had a great start to the game, but still has to prove he's as good as he seems to think he is.

6/ John McGinn is being played too deep.

7/ Jim Goodwin still acts like he's the Captain and, to be honest, it's just as well he does.

8/ Marian Kello is losing too many balls crossed into his box. I did think he was fouled at County's first goal, but he's lost a lot like that this season.

9/ Jason Naismith was fouled when we had our 'goal' chopped off, yet amazingly had a foul given against him, which meant our 'goal' was not given.

10/ Callum Ball is not the answer to our Centre Forward problem and, to be honest, Ross Caldwell isn't the solution either. Once he came on, I lost count of the times we had nobody in the centre of the park when attacking.

11/ We looked the better team when chasing both equalisers, but went off the boil shortly after getting back to 2-2. I've no idea why TC didn't try to change our shape in the last 10 - 15 minutes, as we were clearly getting nowhere and showing no signs of urgency, yet had two more substitutions available.

12/ We urgently need Thompson, Plummer and Osbourne back to full fitness.