Tranmere Rovers - The Only Way Is Up!

Liverpool Bud

Greetings fellow buds.

Inspired by the season long thread about Leicester City I'm going to use this thread to blog about my other footballing love Tranmere Rovers.

Those of you who know me will already know that at 18 I left home to move to liverpool to attend Uni - 26 years later I've just not made it back!

I'm lucky my folks still stay localish and now as a proud dad to a wonderful lad I've installed him into the Saints way much to his mothers dismay !

Anyway I digress - on arrival in Liverpool in 1988/89 I spent most of that season trying to cure my football addiction by attending both Anfield and Goodison watching both the reds and blues of merseyside - back in the day you could turn up and pay a fiver and stand on the Kop or Gladys Street End. Both the liverpool and Everton teams of the day were packed full of quality and many Scottish internationals played for both teams. However as the season went in I never really felt part of it- I was used to turning up to love street - standing in the same bit of the ground - seeing the same faces and feeling part of "something" I was used to crowds of 4000 so 40000 in the Liverpool or Everton grounds was alien to me at this point I didn't even know Tranmere Rovers existed !

One of the lads I played footy with at college came from a place called "the Wirral" only a short Mersey ferry ride or train journey away - he was a tranmere fab and encouraged me to go and watch them in the old Division 4 .

The reason I'm going to blog throughout the season about tranmere - my memories and experiences watching them home and away is because last weekend tranmere sacked their manager and are currently rock bottom of the football leagues

Feel free to post comments - get involved or just read along as hopefully throughout the remainder of the season starting getting some results and climb the league and don't drop out into non league obscurity like Chester City - Wrexham - and Stockport - all local tranmere rivals .

Ah the Wirral - Half Man Half Biscuit, class!

Indeed - very true - urban myth has it that they never gigged on a Friday night so they could follow rovers ( who often played on a fri eve to avoid clashing with Liverpool or Everton) they once cut short a performance on The Tube to drive back from Newcastle

Yep time will tell if a new manager with ( wait for it ) 4 promotions in 18 years can inspire the current crop of players

So Tranmere sacked their boss who had very little experience as a manager , after only 5 months coz the side were playing crap, showing no sign of progression & had only 9 points from 13 games winning only two league games ???

Hmm , i have a cunning plan ......happy.png

The first tranmere game I actually attended was the last game in the 88/89 season

It was a game v Crewe Alexandra

I had planned to go to a cup match v Blackpool earlier in the season but being a student drinking got in the way!

So in early may I arrived at prenton park for the first time in a match that was to define my love affair with the supwrwhites!

If tranmere won they would be promoted from old div 4 to div 3

Likewise a win by Crewe would mean they were promoted

I stood ( yes stood) in one of the pens behind the goal in an area a bit like Patrick thistles was in the 80's

We were right beside the Crewe fans who were many in number and vocal in voice

Tranmere scored first then Crewe equalised - with ten mins to go Crewe got a penalty which was saved by keeper Eric Nixon

Bizarrely a freak set of results elsewhere meant at full time both teams were promoted which prompted the stewards to open the gates and let both sets of fans celebrate on the pitch

There was 13000 in the ground that day and a lover affair with tranmere was born!

Season 89/90 beckoned and div 3 was the challenge'

Tranmere play Mansfield Town tonight in the league

The weather conditions are autrocious so it won't be a game for the purists!

A win under new manager Micky Adams can lift us off the dreaded bottom space

For the record - we have had a drum in recent seasons at Prenton Park and it hasn't lead to more singing or better results !

Lucky 15

1< Standard Brentford v Sheff Wed – Match Betting Brentford @ 23/20 Lost

2< Standard Barnet v Braintree – Match Betting Barnet @ 4/7 Won

3< Standard Accrington v Hartlepool – Match Betting Accrington @ EVS Won

4< Standard Tranmere v Mansfield – Match Betting Tranmere @ 13/10 Lost

Oh well.... £1.50 on 67p returned. :(

Sorry you never won Bluto

Much improved performance

Hampered by squad ravished by injuries and short on quality ( sound familiar?)

More fight and desire tonight

Dominated for periods and Mansfield were left chasing the game

A point is a point and 0-0 doesn't tell the full story

Still bottom if the league but feeling more positive

Sorry you never won Bluto

Much improved performance

Hampered by squad ravished by injuries and short on quality ( sound familiar?)

More fight and desire tonight

Dominated for periods and Mansfield were left chasing the game

A point is a point and 0-0 doesn't tell the full story

Still bottom if the league but feeling more positive

And I'm feeling more poor. :)

A 2-2 draw for Tranmere at the weekend - like Saints came from behind twice against Afc Wimbledon

Unlike Saints - they picked up an on loan striker through the week who scored both goals!

Which reminds me

Overheard in W1 this weekend..... There must be an agent in Europe who has an out if contract player who is better than his shite ( cue Ball skiing the bar over the bar )

I chuckled to myself because undoubtly there will be - but...... Will the player be match fit ..... Can we afford his wages - and why would you won't to come to a sodden Paisley to be involved in a relegation battle!

Anyway with Tranmere claiming a point at the weekend it takes them off the bottom of the football league into 91st place!

Edited by Liverpool Bud

I was interested to see yesterday that the FA cup first round draw pitched my local non league team WarringtonTown against league 2 side Exeter City

This is a massive achievement for Town as they play in the 8th tier of English football - average crowds of 200 and have already played 7 matches including replays to get to the first round proper!

I was interested to see yesterday that the FA cup first round draw pitched my local non league team WarringtonTown against league 2 side Exeter City

This is a massive achievement for Town as they play in the 8th tier of English football - average crowds of 200 and have already played 7 matches including replays to get to the first round proper!

Rovers have a toughie at home to Bristol Rovers.Doubt they'll be going to Wembley for the Cup Final this season.

Yes you are correct

What odds for a 6-6 draw

It was a bizarre game and both teams could have scored double figures

Toon always brought a good crowd - Kop end when I first starting going to Rovers then laterally the Borough Rd end

Would I be right to say the last time the clubs met was around 2005 ish in the quarter final of FA cup with Rivers sneaking a victory?

A 2-2 draw for Rovers today gives a precious point towards survival

Scored in the 96 minute so bit of get out of jail!

Game was played out in front of a 5000+ crowd and dedicated to former manager Johnny King - who unveiled his statue prior to the game

Johnny King rightly deserves the accolade - 3 promotions and 5!!!!!!!!(five) trips to Wembley under his tenure