£0.05 Carrier Bag Charge To Save The Polar Bears

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

Supermarkets are donating monies made from selling bags to local environmental charities. Uk treasury will make 1p for every bag sold (20% vat)

Not sure how this helps corporations increase profits?

I think you give him far, far, far too much credit.

He's got this obsession about trying to "prove" that everything the SNP does is wrong and now he seems obsessed about trying to link the SNP to zombie fc. Maybe I should pity him but I'm too busy laughing at him just now - and for the foreseeable future.

Ask him how motherwell are doing?

So, what you are saying is that you were wrong, it wasn't sold to Murray for 40p. Also, PPG, Murray's company, no longer own the lease. That's the lease they bought for about £37 million a few years ago. Basically, Murray won't be buying it for 40p.

Also, form here regarding the site:-

In 1989 the Council received a payment of £6.25 million from the developer, which was deemed to represent the market value of the Council’s interest at the time.

There are also exemptions from the bill and there are people trying to get (or have already got, not sure and can't be bothered looking any more) exemption for this site.

If you are going to make accusations, at least do the homework.

PPG bought the lease in 1982 and have since paid 1p per annum in rent. They've made approx £2m per annum renting out the units. They'd more than had their money back when the SNP government decided to help boost Mr Murray's finances. I didn't know Murray's had sold the lease two months ago netting £43m but all that does is show Murray cashed in.

Supermarkets are donating monies made from selling bags to local environmental charities. Uk treasury will make 1p for every bag sold (20% vat)

Not sure how this helps corporations increase profits?

There is no legal obligation on supermarket s to do this and as anyone who has been in a supermarket in the last two weeks will tell you they are all using this as an opportunity to upwelling to a bag for life.

Only on this forum could we progress,or do I mean regress, from 5p bags and polar bears to the SNP, governments generally and even David F**king Murray! Who is responsible? I still think it's a big unnecessary hoo-hah which will soon fade until next year when the 55 million plus population of England gets it. I don't think there is any doubt it helps the environment and charities are benefitting in Northern Ireland.I use Asda a lot and there 6p bags are pretty good and as soon as it gets a bit tatty or gets a hole in it ( that can be arranged) you get a replacement free of charge. In fact in Asda the staff encourages it. We've had the tax here for eighteen months and I like to think I've maybe saved a polar bear's rear left leg by now.

PPG bought the lease in 1982 and have since paid 1p per annum in rent. They've made approx £2m per annum renting out the units. They'd more than had their money back when the SNP government decided to help boost Mr Murray's finances. I didn't know Murray's had sold the lease two months ago netting £43m but all that does is show Murray cashed in.

You have again created fiction from a series of facts.

Firstly PPG (Murray) bought the shopping centre from Haselmere Estates (not the Scottish Government)in 2004 for £36m. (not 40p)

They were then forced by the banks last year to sell the property in a 10 property portfolio to Catalyst Capital for circa £46m. (I doubt he made any money off the deal)

In 1989 it was Edinburgh City Council that sold the lease not the Scottish Government and David Murray was not party to the deal.

The long lease Scotland act was brought in to define proper ownership of land. Historically large land owners undertook a transaction for land/property that was in the merits of it a sale. They sold the property that sat on the land for market value but retained the rights to the land for a ridiculous length of time. The Scotland Act was brought in to transfer the ownership of long leases to the people who had basically bought the land trying to rectify an act that had been in place since the time of Oliver Cromwell.

One other fact, PPG were not formed as a Company until 1992. Therefore unless Messer Murray is infact the Doctor then your claim that they took the lease in 1982 was not possible.

Guest TPAFKATS

You have again created fiction from a series of facts.

Firstly PPG (Murray) bought the shopping centre from Haselmere Estates (not the Scottish Government)in 2004 for £36m. (not 40p)

They were then forced by the banks last year to sell the property in a 10 property portfolio to Catalyst Capital for circa £46m. (I doubt he made any money off the deal)

In 1989 it was Edinburgh City Council that sold the lease not the Scottish Government and David Murray was not party to the deal.

The long lease Scotland act was brought in to define proper ownership of land. Historically large land owners undertook a transaction for land/property that was in the merits of it a sale. They sold the property that sat on the land for market value but retained the rights to the land for a ridiculous length of time. The Scotland Act was brought in to transfer the ownership of long leases to the people who had basically bought the land trying to rectify an act that had been in place since the time of Oliver Cromwell.

Some of this was explained to him months ago when it was brought up in the referendum thread...

Guest TPAFKATS

There is no legal obligation on supermarket s to do this and as anyone who has been in a supermarket in the last two weeks will tell you they are all using this as an opportunity to upwelling to a bag for life.

I assume you mean upselling?

Asda were giving them away in handfuls prior to 20/10. A bag for life is replaced free of charge so I'm not sure how much repeat sales there will be. Don't forget that a bag for life costs more so more vat to treasury :-)

Are you really getting annoyed at capitalists making profits though? That's a major change is your politics!