£0.05 Carrier Bag Charge To Save The Polar Bears

shull

It'll be interesting to see the various effects of this, I predict an increase in shoplifting for starters, folk walking out of shops with stuff unbagged saying they've paid for it but didnae need a bag. The other thing I've noted so far, is that the tax was supposed to cut down on the use of plastic/poly bags and other non-degradable types going into landfill sites, so it's interesting that the places already doing paper type bags, like McDonalds and Primark are also charging 5p per bag under the pretence that it's now an anti-litter charge. Right, so what about all the litter from unnecessary packaging and other shite we don't actually need.

Interestingly enough the amount of waste that is produced wrapping a 3 piece suite or a fridge etc has been looked at by the EU.

In the furniture industry manufacturers were told to get prepared for delivering furniture to the retailer and taking the wrapping back on the truck. The retailers I knew were delighted as local councils charged them for every big bin they filled and the wrappings from a 3 piece suite could easily fill one bin. Retailers were gearing up to having big zipped up padded bags that they could use to protect the furniture when they delivered the furniture on to the consumer, take away the reusable bag, everybody happy.

It never happened. I was told our Westminster government opted out of this decision as it wasn't compulsory. How true this is I don't know, but I know a few furniture retailers who have the padded zipped bags and use them when doing deliveries.

When I buy loose bananas,loose apples, loose broccoli, I don't use the small plastic bags off the roll on the counter. Not necessary.

And I have been using the "Bags for Life" for years. The staff sometimes get excited when I come in with a bag that is a few years old and was a one off design at the time.

I like getting the till staff excited in ASDA.

So maybe this bags nonsense is simply due to those living in the Central Belt being boggin?

There just isn't that amount of plastic bags litter in the highlands/Islands, nor down here, that I've been aware of. unsure.png

Make Fckers and the Rest of the Coffin Dodgers, Pay for there Public Transport, Never mind plastic Bag's ?

Yet you'll advertise Tesco for free? You're missing an income stream there, auld yin. (sorry for saying stream - I know the effect it must have on you at your age, just like running water thumbup2.gif )

My Tesco bags were free.

The charges just started today and I've only been to Morrisons.

My Tesco bags were free.

The charges just started today and I've only been to Morrisons.

Free Travel Shull, But you can charge for how many polly Bag's They put in Your Boot ? Unlike you Shull, The Bus Boy's Get 67% of the £2.30 single Fare that I have to pay to get to FOXBAR ! End Freeloading Now - The only thing that is Free, Is the Air that We Breathe, That is polluted bye the Petrol/ Diesel head's of the Transport System ? whistling.gif

As long as our governments want to keep opening new airports or expanding existing airports, then I will be reassured that cutting down on carrier bags is an irrelevancy.

Aye aircraft and airports are absolutely notorious for polluting the country with 750 million plastic bags each year lol.gif ?

You reckon a measure which will result in the removal of 750 million plastic bags from the rivers and streets of our country is an irrelevance? Errrrrrrr OK then lol.gif .

Free Travel Shull, But you can charge for how many polly Bag's They put in Your Boot ? Unlike you Shull, The Bus Boy's Get 67% of the £2.30 single Fare that I have to pay to get to FOXBAR ! End Freeloading Now - The only thing that is Free, Is the Air that We Breathe, That is polluted bye the Petrol/ Diesel head's of the Transport System ? whistling.gif

Ma heid's sore trying to understand this!!

Cool, I like this comparison...

actually he was married to a transvestite who recently passed away and his sit in roll shop is currently under attack by the local yobs,he is a fanatical train enthusiast and also goes down the canal to monitor the bat population, i never watch the show either

Guest TPAFKATS

actually he was married to a transvestite who recently passed away and his sit in roll shop is currently under attack by the local yobs,he is a fanatical train enthusiast and also goes down the canal to monitor the bat population, i never watch the show either

...and there was me believing that weatherfield had a Michelin starred cafe whistling.gif

Here's a wee clip for shull.

This is hilarious although it must be depressing for a scientist to have to deal with politicians this f**king thick.

http://www.upworthy.com/these-congressmen-think-theyre-smarter-than-scientists-jon-stewart-disproves-that-real-quick?g=2&c=ufb1

The part at 8 minutes is absolutely priceless.

bit pissed that I got charged 5p for a paper bag,not plastic at mcdonalds ,now that is taking the piss

IMO you should be charged money for merely thinking about buying any of the shite that f**king McDonalds and their ilk fob off as "food" to the general public.

I liked that.

I didn't know Dorothy was part of the US HoR Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

It should be VERY worrying that people this stupid can make it to positions of power.

When you see their funding sources you have to question whether the word corrupt is appropriate.

IMO you should be charged money for merely thinking about buying any of the shite that f**king McDonalds and their ilk fob off as "food" to the general public.

I was in Belfast today and enjoyed a Bic Mac and carton of orange. Very nice too. I've probably been in a McDonalds about a couple of dozen times in my life. Of course it's junk food but once in a while it's OK.

I was in Belfast today and enjoyed a Bic Mac and carton of orange. Very nice too. I've probably been in a McDonalds about a couple of dozen times in my life. Of course it's junk food but once in a while it's OK.

Of course it's OK as long as you have to bother yourself with thinking about where their food comes from, the devastation of the rain forest caused by their clearing of swathes of acres of woodland for cattle, the environmental problems caused by what they do and the pollution caused by the bags and wrappers, the horsemeat in their "beef" burgers, the poor quality of "meat" in the first place, the dangerously high levels of salt and fat they include in their products and, because they are a large company employing thousands of UK slaves (I'm sorry I meant workers - they all look so happy and pumped don't you think?), the obligatory excessive tax avoidance and unhealthy influence on government policy.

But hey. As long as you have your immediate selfish needs satisfied that's the main thing. Thinking is "hard" and "boring".

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS

Of course it's OK as long as you have to bother yourself with thinking about where their food comes from, the devastation of the rain forest caused by their clearing of swathes of acres of woodland for cattle, the environmental problems caused by what they do and the pollution caused by the bags and wrappers, the horsemeat in their "beef" burgers, the poor quality of "meat" in the first place, the dangerously high levels of salt and fat they include in their products and, because they are a large company employing thousands of UK slaves (I'm sorry I meant workers - they all look so happy and pumped don't you think?), the obligatory excessive tax avoidance and unhealthy influence on government policy.

But hey. As long as you have your immediate selfish needs satisfied that's the main thing. Thinking is "hard" and "boring".

...put me right aff ma chicken nuggets