Secret Buyers/new Owners - Threads Merged

waldorf34

these are the latest shares figures available on company check site.the figure at the end of each listing is percentage of shares owned, i believe the money paid by tesco was partly used to pay the money owed to the directors who had bravely put their future at risk to clearv our debt, i doubt very much that they paid the "bulk" of £2m to buy shares in the late 90's but i dont have the figures just like you don't

My post was in answer to the one from billyg below - stating that the directors made no money from the sale of Love St. (Camscott was a separate company formed by the BoD, as it was constituted at the time, to assume the debt the club owed to Barr Construction and allow the club to pursue the two planning applications required for the ground move - the directors put no money into this company) and that for the Consortium it is now more likely to be about recovering the money invested in the club as a50lennyc seems to confirm.

I don't know how many shares the Consortium purchased during each share issue and I'm prepared to admit I was wrong about the price of the second issue although Griff would agree they paid £20/share for the other two mentioned and also by my recollection the price for the debt to share conversion in 2008. We also know the Consortium (Douglas Street) own 97,829 (around 100,000) shares so I wasn't just plucking figures out of thin air - your fixation with the £2M figure misses the point.

FWIW , they've had their money back already after the sale of LS. The sale of their shares will be profit !

Not according to the independently audited Annual Financial reports which are made available to all shareholders.

As they own around 100,000 shares between them the bulk of which were purchased at £20 a pop during the second share issue in the late '90's IIRC then by my calculations it'll be a matter of how much they eventually lose.

I'm pretty sure the price paid for the shares in the second share issue was £7 per share.

i bought 30 shares at that time in my sons name and I'm pretty sure it cost me £210.

based on my experience, that means there will be a loss on any shares bought in the share issues and probably those bought privately. Any inherited or gifted shares will obviously be pure profit.

all in all, i reckon the directors stand to make a whacking great loss on their investments in the shares, not to mention all the unpaid time and effort they devoted.

the supporters cant complain imo as these shares were available to buy in the 2 share offers and, by and large, the supporters kept their hands in their pockets

Edited by Bud the Baker

I think there used to be 20,000 shares , and to raise money for the old Caledonain Street stand a further 20,000 shares were made available at £20 a share , and this allowed a new group of individuals to increase their share holding , and probably created a few changes in the major shareholders of the club.

The next lot of shares became available , when a resolution was passed to make 120,000 shares available to allow an individual the opportunity to own %75 of the club , these shares were made available at £5 each.

The present board probably obtained the majority of their shares at £5 a share , and I hope they make a wee profit to acknowledge the hard work they have put in.

Also hope that the club club will be sold soon , and we can make a few decent signings during the next transfer window

Above is what the board paid for the majority of shares , which is £5 . I think Stuart Gilmour and Brian McAusland invested considerably in the 20,000 shares that were made available to fund the Caledonian Street stand at £20 a share , and it could be argued that the average price they paid for each share was £7.

Marrez. Without going into detail the Accountants clearly state that our overall Turnover is down on the previous year and that income from the commercial side of the business was lower than that of the past year.

Marrez. Without going into detail the Accountants clearly state that our overall Turnover is down on the previous year and that income from the commercial side of the business was lower than that of the past year.

maybe it is down but up against the budget, commercial side was always going to reduce this year with the loss of hearts and hibs. In any job like CK has you are given what is expected, all you can do is exceed that.

Ian and Billy. There is no doubt Campbell does s decent job of that there is no doubt.However my wife have only attended hospitality once at the new ground and frankly I was disappointed.I preferred it at Love Street when Sally did the meals.The real problem is we should have a properly qualified Markerting Director to explore all the commercial possibilities of our lovely new stadium.Campbell would of course remain part of that team.In the meantime we are all agreed we require immediately a new Football Manager with sound ideas to ensure our Premiership status.

we have a commercial director, why would we need a marketing director

the commercial team work hard to get in and stage external events, but they have at least one hand tied behind their back by the board who refuse to invest in the advertising tools required to stimulate interest, or in upgrading the exisiting assets which are already starting to show signs of ageing. You need the tools if you want to do a bit of marketing and they are supplied with none. You speak to the commerical guys and they will tell you they need road signs on the motorways, advertising at the airport and in the city centre and decent ads in trade publications. They know everything that is needed and which will work, but get no support from the board.

Saying takings are down everywhere is a red-herring as we need to be stealing business from other venues and showing clients what their reduced budget will buy in our fantastic location. If the Ramada take is down 10% then we should be working to reduce their take by 20% next year as we steal from them. Currently, we just don't compete when we need to be aggressive

As previously said, cost cutting is fine if you re-invest some of the money saved in areas to grow the parts of your business that have potential, but we are engaging in self-propagating cuts that will lead to further loss of custom, leading to more cuts. Saying everyone is losing a bit is no excuse

The current strategy (if you can call it that) of making the club more saleable by demonstrating consistently low costs is a bad one from all perspectives. Time to show what a bit of investment can do, even if it is funded by a little borrowing.

Poor shout that Billy.Campbell has been working his backside off for years for this club and as the licence holder he is present at weddings,funerals,birthday parties,sportsmans dinners etc and every corporate,annual dinner,youth development dinner.Theres lots more going on inside our club that the average fan does not see and i find it ridiculous that once again one of our own is targeted by a section of our support.I have been at various corporate days and dinners and will be at this weekends youth dinner and this is partly down to the terrific job Campbell and his staff carry out.We,re all frustrated by events on the park this season but dont take it out on the people working hard to keep our club at the top end of the hospitality market in the SPFL.

I'm sure Campbell does a good job but could he do more?

How many people in the Paisley area know that the Stadium is available for function hire?I have never seen an advert in the local press saying available for funerals,weddings,birthday parties etc.Its more unused than it is used.

Find a way to let people know about availability either thru advertising in local press,social media or even using our own scoreboard.Yes,its that simple.

The Hospitality Suite should be a great money maker but as far as I know........its not.

Edited by HSS

we have a commercial director, why would we need a marketing director

the commercial team work hard to get in and stage external events, but they have at least one hand tied behind their back by the board who refuse to invest in the advertising tools required to stimulate interest, or in upgrading the exisiting assets which are already starting to show signs of ageing. You need the tools if you want to do a bit of marketing and they are supplied with none. You speak to the commerical guys and they will tell you they need road signs on the motorways, advertising at the airport and in the city centre and decent ads in trade publications. They know everything that is needed and which will work, but get no support from the board.

Saying takings are down everywhere is a red-herring as we need to be stealing business from other venues and showing clients what their reduced budget will buy in our fantastic location. If the Ramada take is down 10% then we should be working to reduce their take by 20% next year as we steal from them. Currently, we just don't compete when we need to be aggressive

As previously said, cost cutting is fine if you re-invest some of the money saved in areas to grow the parts of your business that have potential, but we are engaging in self-propagating cuts that will lead to further loss of custom, leading to more cuts. Saying everyone is losing a bit is no excuse

The current strategy (if you can call it that) of making the club more saleable by demonstrating consistently low costs is a bad one from all perspectives. Time to show what a bit of investment can do, even if it is funded by a little borrowing.

borrowing from where?

In simple terms you have to tell to sell

Correct.

Google "function Suite hire in Paisley" & St.Mirren Park comes up nowhere. Nothing on 118, 192, Cylex, useyourlocal, Yell or any other listings.

Anyone from outwith the area who is looking to host Sales meetings, trade shows ,seminars or conferences would not have a clue about what we have at St.Mirren park. To get yourself known for such events you have to publicise your venue in trade mags, at travel venues & pay to optimise your listing on Yell etc.

If you put nothing in you`ll get nothing out.

We don't have a Commercial Director, he stepped down after the CIC failed...

I thought Brian was now filling this role?

borrowing from where?

from a bank, new investors, SMISA, probably several more sources than i can mention

If the investment is sound , has a credible plan to both repay any loans and provide a return and is spent only on profitable asset then the money can be found. If it's not borrowing for the playing staff then there are people who will listen

Correct.

Google "function Suite hire in Paisley" & St.Mirren Park comes up nowhere. Nothing on 118, 192, Cylex, useyourlocal, Yell or any other listings.

Anyone from outwith the area who is looking to host Sales meetings, trade shows ,seminars or conferences would not have a clue about what we have at St.Mirren park. To get yourself known for such events you have to publicise your venue in trade mags, at travel venues & pay to optimise your listing on Yell etc.

If you put nothing in you`ll get nothing out.

To be honest, function suite is a little below where we should be aiming, we are in a prime position to offer full-blown conference facilities. I have been to events at Manchester, Stanstead, Heathrow and even Schiphol that were at so-called "on airport" venues which were twice as far from any terminal as we are from Glasgow Airport

I got outstanding feed-back, based mainly on the location and ease of access for an event that i staged at greenhill road last year. i have another that i will be booking for early next year. I know people who spent 350-400% more per head on events at Hampden who would love to use our stadium if it had completed the void conversion and added a few rooms for plenary sessions. One drawback though is catering, if the Uni are really as dire as people say they are then that is not good, but you can always specify your own provider

Edited by beyond our ken

I thought Brian Caldwell occupied this role. May be a different job title but a friend of his works for me and Brian was the guy i have dealt with when setting up events at the ground

Brian isn't a director, not the first time you've made the mistake.

Think you previously said his job title had change to include the word and that you don't need to sit on the board to be a director.

He is not a director.

Edited by davidg

from a bank, new investors, SMISA, probably several more sources than i can mention

If the investment is sound , has a credible plan to both repay any loans and provide a return and is spent only on profitable asset then the money can be found. If it's not borrowing for the playing staff then there are people who will listen

why don't you do it then if its that easy?

Why don't you borrow the money, use some of it to hire the facilities at the new ground, use some to market it then rent out.

That way the club win and you win.

After all... there are people who will listen...

Brian isn't a director, not the first time you've made the mistake.

Think you previously said his job title had change to include the word and that you don't need to sit on the board to be a director.

He is not a director.

Nice to know someone is keeping up on my mistakes, dotting my Is and crossing my Ts, etc. keep up the good work.

For what it's worth i cant remember very much of what you post so i'll take it as a compliment. But you did miss a " d " in your post, this will be the only correction I will offer you, so don't get dependent on me 1eye.gif

CEO is pretty much a director level position by default but not in name so that is where my mistake is. It comes with, i understand, responsibility for the commercial arm of the club, doesnt make him a board director and I never implied that he is

why don't you do it then if its that easy?

Why don't you borrow the money, use some of it to hire the facilities at the new ground, use some to market it then rent out.

That way the club win and you win.

After all... there are people who will listen...

Well you've taken my idea on a step or two, so why don't you do it?

If i borrowed the money and in return for investing it in developing the assets i got control of them as a business venture, with a few bob back to the club, then it might be a good idea.

But what does the club gain from that? (I think that is the point under discussion) A small portion of the take at best. we are talking about using club assets for the good of the club, you know. it's also highly unlikely that the current board would sanction that kind of deal with ANYONE as it would be a contract that would be passed on to any new owners that happened along. But hey, you probably already knew this since your such a bright wee elf.

Your idea does have some resonance with another scheme i heard about, with someone borrowing the money from a range of sources and topping it up with public funds, developing assets for the good of their preferred sections of the community, using some of the proceeds (i hesitate to use the word "profits") to pay off their loans and some of it to offset the cost of stadium use for some minority groups. Maybe a wee bit would have been left over for the club, but not much. i just can't think of where i read about that scheme though. Maybe someone on here could pick that one up and run with it.

Edited by beyond our ken

Was Gary Withey the lawyer that was brought into St Mirren boardroom by Ken McGeoch?? If so he's been arrested as part of a police investigation into the sale of Rangers...........he's only been arrested, not charged, so far.

Hopefully he's not acting on behalf of this lot of "Secret Buyers"!!

I think Ken used the same company, but not necessarily the same people that supported the rangers process

i could be wrong about this though. Anyway, I can't think why the board would deal with him just now after the stooshie they caused around Ken's bid

it's old news and something we should move on from.

I'm petty sure it actually was "Gary Withey" himself that was involved and not just "the" company..........however it was only meant as a tongue in cheek jest and a giggle at a previous "takeover" bid.

Now that I know I'm not allowed to do it I will resist the temptation in future!!

Your idea does have some resonance with another scheme i heard about, with someone borrowing the money from a range of sources and topping it up with public funds, developing assets for the good of their preferred sections of the community, using some of the proceeds (i hesitate to use the word "profits") to pay off their loans and some of it to offset the cost of stadium use for some minority groups. Maybe a wee bit would have been left over for the club, but not much. i just can't think of where i read about that scheme though. Maybe someone on here could pick that one up and run with it.

it's old news and something we should move on from.

How ironic !!

There's an Argentinian group looking to buy Motherwell. Apparently they have told John Boyle if he doesn't sell up in the next few weeks then they'll turn their attention to us. No idea how much truth there is in it - could just be them playing hard ball.

Here's a story about them from the other week: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2829367/Nolberto-Solano-line-Motherwell-job-consortium-takes-control-Scottish-club.html