Thommo

pod

Players say they're fit all the time even when they're not.

It's up to the manager to work with the physios to work out if they're talking shite or not.

We are talking about an extremely experienced player who's our club captain, he's also a well respected pundit and I believe he has his coaching badges. Not some young kid who's new to the game.

If he thought he was ready to play, which he clearly did, you can hardly blame the manager for starting him.

Thompson underwent a knee operation prior to the Hearts game at the end of last season prior to us attaining safety from relegation he'd played in just about every minute of every game, it's not too far fetched to assume this contributed in some way to the pre-season injury which made the decision to rush him back in August almost criminal, in terms of football management.

What I find enjoyable is watching TC defending his namesake from culpability in the matter - he was the Assistant Manager last season and as for Thompson agreeing he was fit enough to play in August what would you really expect him (a fan as well as a player) to say when pressed on the matter?

Can you claim a knee operation and a groin injury a period of time later to be linked?

I'm no physio so not sure. I only know that the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone from a song at primary school....no mention of the groin, eh, bone.

Can you claim a knee operation and a groin injury a period of time later to be linked?

I'm no physio so not sure. I only know that the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone from a song at primary school....no mention of the groin, eh, bone.

You may well be right but once a player gets to a certain age they often seem to lurch from one injury to another - perhaps nothing as direct as cause and effect but once you start to favour one part of the body it's possible to inflame a problem in another part.

You've got to give the club the benefit of the doubt over the initial occurrence of the groin injury but after seeing Thommo's brief appearance against Dundee I was astounded to hear he'd been picked for the Dunfermline game midweek.

Due to Bahoken and Magennis being so... Pish... We flogged Thommo last season.

He was playing 90 minutes virtually every week, and you just can't do that with a guy his age.

We are paying the price now.

Makes you wonder why Tommy Craig signed 3 strikers who for the purpose of playing alongside Thommo and didn't plan to use any of the 3 as a back up or replacement for a 36 year old.

Makes you wonder why Tommy Craig signed 3 strikers who for the purpose of playing alongside Thommo and didn't plan to use any of the 3 as a back up or replacement for a 36 year old.

Probably because we can't afford to have two senior strikers on the books. Just a thought.

Yeah and Thompson was involved in that decision too, he said he was fit enough to start.

The reason he clearly wasn't fit enough was due to how much he played last season.

Rightio! When Thommo missed the last game of the season once we were safe it was announced that he was going in for an operation and he would be pushing it to have a full preseason and be ready for the start of the season.

Looking like a desperate attempt to continue blaming the previous manager for decision's made on TC's watch.

Rightio! When Thommo missed the last game of the season once we were safe it was announced that he was going in for an operation and he would be pushing it to have a full preseason and be ready for the start of the season.

Looking like a desperate attempt to continue blaming the previous manager for decision's made on TC's watch.

It's looking like another desperate attempt by yourself to blame absolutely everything on our manager.

Why are you so negative?

And regarding the end of last season, one of Danny's most mystifying decisions last year (and there were plenty) was in the penultimate game of the season at Kilmarnock.

We had clinched our safety against County a few days prior and it was widely known Thommo had been carrying a knock and had an op scheduled. I wasn't expecting he'd be near the squad.

'Lo and behold I get to the game and I find he's not only in the squad, but he's starting!

A question for Top Cat to ponder. Once Thommo is match fit should we be starting him every game and playing him for 90 minutes most weeks, even though Tommy Craig has assembled a much stronger squad with much better striking options like Ross Caldwell (0 SPL goals as we enter November), Marwood (0 goals as we enter November) and Ball (2 SPL goals as we enter November)?

Nice to know you've ignored every point made to yourself.

Thommo should absolutely be used sparingly, as should any 36 year old player. I'd start him most games but sub him around the 60 minute mark most weeks.

I take it your solution is to play him every minute? Thank goodness you aren't in charge.

Nice to know you've ignored every point made to yourself.

Thommo should absolutely be used sparingly, as should any 36 year old player. I'd start him most games but sub him around the 60 minute mark most weeks.

I take it your solution is to play him every minute? Thank goodness you aren't in charge.

I'm pointing out that due to TC signing 3 striking duds, he will end up being forced to play Thommo every game and for the full game, as there is an overpaid. lazy unfit Dundee midfielder currently banging in more SPL goals than Tommy's 3 new strikers combined.

I'm pointing out that due to TC signing 3 striking duds, he will end up being forced to play Thommo every game and for the full game, as there is an overpaid. lazy unfit Dundee midfielder currently banging in more SPL goals than Tommy's 3 new strikers combined.

So a young striker with 2 goals in 8 starts is a dud?

What utter nonsense you talk.

Ball has 2 goals from 8 league starts. If he keeps that ratio up he will get around 8 goals this season.

A decent return for a young striker in his debut season in the league. He's already got 2 more than Bahoken and Magennis combined.

Magennis has got 3 goals for Killie so far this season but do carry on.

We are not all blessed with your gift for logic. Ross Caldwell on zero SPL goals after the first round of games is over = a great signing according to Top Cat.

He's hardly played, he's had one start in the Premiership ( not the SPL, keep up ).

He did have a tremendous assist which won us a vital 3 points though.

I just noted, in Thommos last 10 starts for us he has 2 goals. In Balls last 8 starts he has 2 goals. Ball's goal to game ratio is currently higher than Thommo's.

Using your logic, I guess Thommo is a dud too?

Even by your own standards, you're having an absolute nightmare here.

He's hardly played, he's had one start in the Premiership ( not the SPL, keep up ).

He did have a tremendous assist which won us a vital 3 points though.

I just noted, in Thommos last 10 starts for us he has 2 goals. In Balls last 8 starts he has 2 goals. Ball's goal to game ratio is currently higher than Thommo's.

Using your logic, I guess Thommo is a dud too?

Even by your own standards, you're having an absolute nightmare here.

Thommo has a track record of playing for top clubs, was an internationalist, and has a track record of doing well for us. Marwood, Ball and Caldwell all arrived as strikers with no track record of even moderate success at SPL level.

Caldwell is currently 3rd in the pecking order behind an unfit Ball and Marwood who hasn't scored since pre-season. Still TC does say "there is something about him"... that makes TC think he's a great substitute worth giving little game time to.

Thommo has a track record of playing for top clubs, was an internationalist, and has a track record of doing well for us. Marwood, Ball and Caldwell all arrived as strikers with no track record of even moderate success at SPL level.

Caldwell is currently 3rd in the pecking order behind an unfit Ball and Marwood who hasn't scored since pre-season. Still TC does say "there is something about him"... that makes TC think he's a great substitute worth giving little game time to.

So even though Ball has a better recent goal ratio than Thommo, and has just turned 22....

You think he should be labelled a dud?

And regarding the end of last season, one of Danny's most mystifying decisions last year (and there were plenty) was in the penultimate game of the season at Kilmarnock.

We had clinched our safety against County a few days prior and it was widely known Thommo had been carrying a knock and had an op scheduled. I wasn't expecting he'd be near the squad.

'Lo and behold I get to the game and I find he's not only in the squad, but he's starting!

Really...you are mystified by that?

What good reason is there for a guy looking for a new deal or job elsewhere to willingly field a weakened team!?

You yourself said in March Danny knew he was going to be let go. So why should he owe the club anything, and rest Thompson?

Edited by NeilPar72

Really...you are mystified by that?

What good reason is there for a guy looking for a new deal or job elsewhere to willingly field a weakened team!?

You yourself said in March Danny knew he was going to be let go. So why should he owe the club anything, and rest Thompson?

You think Danny did it out of spite? It's not something I had considered actually, I thought it was just incompetence.

You think Danny did it out of spite? It's not something I had considered actually, I thought it was just incompetence.

Spite...erm no. How does dropping Thompson benefit Lennon in any way?

So it's incompetent to play your strongest team in a bid to earn yourself a new deal! Jeeeez... We all know you had it in for Lennon but this is a bit of a stretch.

Even if we take your premise that Danny knew he was being let go, how does playing a weakened team help him get a job elsewhere?