Thommo

pod

If it was a knee injury I would be worried however it is a hernia and although they can be problematic the chances of a complete recovery are very good. And Thommo could play at centre-back next season if he does not feel fit enough for a striker role. Andy Millen played until he was 42 in the SPL and Craig Brewster played as a striker in the SPL when he was 41. I do not think we have heard the last of the Legend that is Thommo. smile.png

Edit to Add: And Davie Weir was still playing SPL football in his 40's. Do not write Thommo off yet!

Edited by Sonny

If it was a knee injury I would be worried however it is a hernia and although they can be problematic the chances of a complete recovery are very good. And Thommo could play at centre-back next season if he does not feel fit enough for a striker role. Andy Millen played until he was 42 in the SPL and Craig Brewster played as a striker in the SPL when he was 41. I do not think we have heard the last of the Legend that is Thommo. smile.png

Edit to Add: And Davie Weir was still playing SPL football in his 40's. Do not write Thommo off yet!

Thommo was a far better than Brewster ever was.

Playing up front by himself isn't going do him favours though

Pity Scanlon or Weir aren't about i would fancy the big man to get 30 a season

If Thommo has to retire, or chooses to retire, I hope he can do it in a 'Gerrard' style - by announcing it so we know when his last game will be, and he can get a subs appearance, or even a start in his final game. Would be nice to give a legend a proper send off instead of a fizzle-out.

It would be interesting to know how that works.

Anyone have a clue?

I know businesses can take out keyman policies on their key staff, Id assume if it's for a footballer the premiums would be pretty high so your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not the saints have him insured.

Thought there is some kind of insurance for long term injury ?

I think you may be right, not sure of the ins and outs. Although I'm pretty sure that would be the players own insurance?

Thommo will always have a place at saints, wether in a coaching capacity or future manager. Would be great to have the big man back at his best but I can't see it.

> And Thommo could play at centre-back next season

I'm a huge fan of Steven Thompson, but I'm a bigger fan of St Mirren. With all respect Sonny, I think this is blind loyalty gone mad.

Thommo is a striker, and is contracted to St Mirren FC in that capacity until the end of this season. In the last calendar year (1st January 2014 to 1st January 2015) Thommo has has scored 5 goals for St Mirren in 28 games. That's a goal every 5.6 games.

Granted Ball, Marwood, Reilly (and the now departed Caldwell) would bite your hand of for a stat like that, however that says more about them! A striker scoring 1 every 5.6 games is no good to anyone.

Looking to the future, Thommo is currently beset with injuries, and most agree that it is unlikely he will feature much again this season. If he does he will be miles short of match fitness. He will turn 37 in October of this year. I respect that there is the odd anomaly (you mention Brewster) however regrettable as it is I think many would be of the opinion that Steven's time as a striker in the top tier of Scottish football is, unfortunately though naturally, coming to an end.

From an emotive perspective I'd be inclined to give him another years contract. My business side tells me that would be wrong though. Better to invest that particular salary in a more constructive way. The caveat of course would be if we do indeed get the bump to the Championship. For me that would put a different spin on things and a 1 year contract extension at Championship prices would be worth a punt.

I'm a huge fan of Steven Thompson, but I'm a bigger fan of St Mirren. With all respect Sonny, I think this is blind loyalty gone mad.

Thommo is a striker, and is contracted to St Mirren FC in that capacity until the end of this season. In the last calendar year (1st January 2014 to 1st January 2015) Thommo has has scored 5 goals for St Mirren in 28 games. That's a goal every 5.6 games.

Granted Ball, Marwood, Reilly (and the now departed Caldwell) would bite your hand of for a stat like that, however that says more about them! A striker scoring 1 every 5.6 games is no good to anyone.

Looking to the future, Thommo is currently beset with injuries, and most agree that it is unlikely he will feature much again this season. If he does he will be miles short of match fitness. He will turn 37 in October of this year. I respect that there is the odd anomaly (you mention Brewster) however regrettable as it is I think many would be of the opinion that Steven's time as a striker in the top tier of Scottish football is, unfortunately though naturally, coming to an end.

From an emotive perspective I'd be inclined to give him another years contract. My business side tells me that would be wrong though. Better to invest that particular salary in a more constructive way. The caveat of course would be if we do indeed get the bump to the Championship. For me that would put a different spin on things and a 1 year contract extension at Championship prices would be worth a punt.

Totally agree, he's far too clumsy for centre back.

I'm a huge fan of Steven Thompson, but I'm a bigger fan of St Mirren. With all respect Sonny, I think this is blind loyalty gone mad. .......

Fair enough Wrong Planet but for me its not blind loyalty.

'and most agree that it is unlikely he will feature much again this season' . Unlike 'most' I am not a surgeon nor a physio so I have no idea how much more he will feature this season. I am aware his match fitness is in doubt but he could be over his hernia in 3 weeks which still leaves nearly half a season to get match fit and contribute to the cause. Thommo has had few injuries in a long career and is pretty fit so I am not assuming he is a goner. This op could solve all the niggles he has had since the summer.

With regards centre-half I feel a lot more confident when Thommo is playing and comes back to defend corners as invariably he is the one who wins the headers and gets the ball cleared more often than our recognised centre-halfs. I would prefer to play him up top but who knows maybe a centre-half is a position he could do well in. Several strikers have moved to centreback as their legs slowed and became useful defenders eg England defender/centre-forward/defender Dion Dublin.

'and most agree that it is unlikely he will feature much again this season' . Unlike 'most' I am not a surgeon nor a physio so I have no idea how much more he will feature this season. I am aware his match fitness is in doubt but he could be over his hernia in 3 weeks which still leaves nearly half a season to get match fit and contribute to the cause. Thommo has had few injuries in a long career and is pretty fit so I am not assuming he is a goner. This op could solve all the niggles he has had since the summer.

With regards centre-half I feel a lot more confident when Thommo is playing and comes back to defend corners as invariably he is the one who wins the headers and gets the ball cleared more often than our recognised centre-halfs. I would prefer to play him up top but who knows maybe a centre-half is a position he could do well in. Several strikers have moved to centreback as their legs slowed and became useful defenders eg England defender/centre-forward/defender Dion Dublin.

Chris Sutton and Derek Johnstone also played as CH'S.

> I am aware his match fitness is in doubt but he could be over his hernia in 3 weeks which still leaves nearly half a season to get match fit

Even if he was available to play in February (which is real best case) there would only be 13 games remaining in which he could feature.

Good backup arguments re. the potential to move to Centre Half. It's not for me, but I do respect the suggestion and supporting information.

I just hope he's fully fit post split to help as stay off bottom and get into the play off place before scoring the goal in the final play off game that keeps us up before announcing his retirement and becoming a TV pundit. (I can't see him playing on another season after this year's injury problems)

• 2 weeks later...

Return from injury may be longer than first expected.....

Big man was pulled out the crowd at the Braehead circus today to help one of the comedy acts. Got a kick up the bum on the way off the stage and play was suspended for 10 minutes to get him treatment... :lol

Edited by davidg

In the PDE today, saying he's back running without any pain and that he's hoping to be back for the Thistle game.

What a lift it would be for all of us,players and fans alike, if Steven comes back and stays fit for the rest of the season. He's a talisman and we would easily finish 10th. at least and probably higher.

What a lift it would be for all of us,players and fans alike, if Steven comes back and stays fit for the rest of the season. He's a talisman and we would easily finish 10th. at least and probably higher.

Interesting comment Rick. Don't get me wrong, I'll be glad to see him back and genuinely match fit, but might be worth looking at the number of goals he scored and the number of games the team won when Thommo returned from injury the last time.

Interesting comment Rick. Don't get me wrong, I'll be glad to see him back and genuinely match fit, but might be worth looking at the number of goals he scored and the number of games the team won when Thommo returned from injury the last time.

He never has been a really prolific scorer but he brings a lot to the team. No defence can ignore him and he has height and weight. If he breaks down again it might well be the end of his career. But here's hoping.

In the PDE today, saying he's back running without any pain and that he's hoping to be back for the Thistle game.

This is good news, but he was also running without pain preseason and hoping to be fit for the Motherwell game at the time. It's the twisting and turning, and motions associated with using the ball that indicate how well you've healed rather than pure running, which you can often do even when carrying different types of injury. I just hope he's not rushed back too soon and is back when truly fit at the crucial end of the season.

• 2 months later...