Ian Scanlon's Inheritance Bollocks

Wilbur

This subject came up in conversation last night but neither me nor my mate could remember the details. I'm sure someone on here will know the story.

As I recall Scanlon claimed he had inherited a fortune from his late granny or some other relative. This turned out to be a pile of pish. Was he a Walter Mitty or was he the victim of a hoax ?

Details please.

This subject came up in conversation last night but neither me nor my mate could remember the details. I'm sure someone on here will know the story.

As I recall Scanlon claimed he had inherited a fortune from his late granny or some other relative. This turned out to be a pile of pish. Was he a Walter Mitty or was he the victim of a hoax ?

Details please.

the scan was a wee bit eccentric,as i remember it he made the story up thinking it would give him publicity

Details please.

dont know,,but he still owes me a fiver..............whistling.gif

There's a piece on this on his wiki page, (sorry no link)

Don't think he inherited a brain either, I've heard he regularly watches the dead club.

How can he watch a "dead club"?

If a club is dead then there is nothing to watch!

Do you mean that he regularly goes to watch the brand new that is pretending to be the dead club?

The one that kendo & faraway saint wanted fast tracked straight into the SPL?

Don't really care about his personal life the guy was a player and a half with Saints. If only we had a winger like him today.

And may I just echo that

Scanlon is one of my top 3 favourite ever players to play for St. Mirren along with McGarvey & McAvennie.

I don't think its too extreme to say that Ian Scanlon was a genius.

His 40 yarder against Celtic to put the cap on an incredible 4-2 over Celtic is possibly the greatest goal I've ever seen scored. I was right behind the Love Street end as it went flying in and that moment was magical.

Ian Scanlon was a player who would get you excited every single time he got the ball.

Ian Scanlon on the ball was a beautiful sight.

As you will guess, there aren't enough superlatives I can use when it comes to this guy. He was the Scottish Cristiano Ronaldo!

And may I just echo that

Scanlon is one of my top 3 favourite ever players to play for St. Mirren along with McGarvey & McAvennie.

His 40 yarder against Celtic to put the cap on an incredible 4-2 over Celtic is possibly the greatest goal I've ever seen scored. I was right behind the Love Street end as it went flying in and that moment was magical.

Ian Scanlon was a player who would get you excited every single time he got the ball.

As you will guess, there aren't enough superlatives I can use when it comes to this guy. He was the Scottish Cristiano Ronaldo!

Ack Gies Peace for f**k sake

And may I just echo that

So... on balance? Aye or Naw? :unsure:

How can he watch a "dead club"?

If a club is dead then there is nothing to watch!

Do you mean that he regularly goes to watch the brand new that is pretending to be the dead club?

The one that kendo & faraway saint wanted fast tracked straight into the SPL?

Oh right, thanksdry.png

So many identities it's hard to keep track these days, don't you think so Duke, oops sorry I mean Phil, aw shit fcuk it

whatever you've called yourself this time..

On his game he was simply fabulous to watch.He did magical things at times and was almost unstoppable. Unfortunately,during some matches he would go AwOL and could be infuriating. I wish we had someone like him just now.With regards his 'fortune',I always thought there was something in it but it wasn't a fortune. I heard about 40K which was very nice in those days but not life-changing. So was it all garbage?

Don't really care about his personal life the guy was a player and a half with Saints. If only we had a winger like him today.

No one has came close to him

Agree he was i would say last of the entertainers at Love St

Played all his best fitba at Love St never seemed to be the same player away from home

Even his last game was a mystery

European game came on as Sub and taken away on Stretcher about 2 mins later and never heard of again

Said he picked an injury and that was the last was heard from club and he then just disappeared

Not a great scorer of goals he scored his fair share but a scorer of great goals not just the Celtic one that gets mentioned

The turnaround that day from 2 down will live with me for ever. I was an enclosure regular by then having spent years on the north bank ( I think I was starting to feel posher by going into the enclosure!) when Scanlons goal went in there was bedlam with lots of old boys falling over each other and us younger guys trying to help them up when everything had calmed down which took ages. For me it's the sweetest win over one of them along with Alex Becketts screamer. Now that was another one to savour!

I was an 11 year old boy sitting in the East part of the main stand that day!

All the old b******ds of a "green" persuasion were winding me up "have you brought a calculator?" etc etc.

Oh how I laughed! - What a memory! - up there with the 1-4 at Tannadice / the 4-o at Greenhill etc etc!

(ETA - The Fir Park comeback around 5 years ago too - special days!!)

SMTID

Edited by thepaisleypanda