St Mirren V Partick Thistle Premiership 8/11/14

shull

Actually, after less than 1/3 of the season we have 4 clubs (including Celtic) who have got three times as many points as us - 5 if you add Aberdeen picking up points from their game in hand.

As for there not being much between the bottom 6 teams... St Johnstone are 6 points and 6 goals better off than us, Partick Thistle are 7 points and 13 goals better off than us and have a game in hand, and Killie are 12 points and 11 goals better off than us which just leave us comparable with Ross County and Motherwell.

this for me is the worse bit. Its not disastrous to be in our league position at this stage of the season but it is disastrous to be this far behind other clubs

Ironically Dicko, that's one of the worst games I've seen SOD play. Spent the majority of the first half pumping aimless balls down the length of the West Stand. Second half spent it hitting the first man, with crosses.

If ever there was a confidence player, it's SOD.

Just to add insult to injury i heard today from a good source (one of his mates) that Thommo is finished. I think I'm going to cry....

I think we would eventually have to prepare for the day when Thommo would no longer be around, but the timing of this could not be any worse at a time when we need the big man more than most.

If this is true, then we are well and truly f**ked.

He turned it down last season, why would he take, or want the job now?

If (more like when) we get relegated I think he wwould be our manager in the championship. What better way to sell season tickets!?

If we miraculously stay up, then he will probably go to the lower leagues to manage initially.

Sometimes we have to let things run their course and have to put things in context , and perhaps accept a season where things might not go to plan , we are a provincial club , and there is not a lot of room for mistakes , and I think we have made a few over the last couple of seasons , that has effected our current player budget .

We have also been unlucky with injuries .

How many games have we lost by the odd goal when there has been very little to chose between the teams ?

Maybe by perserveering with the current squad and accepting the worst case scenario we might be in the good shape to bounce back up , or at least not have not have back to back relegations .

The youngsters playing for us are giving their all , and deserve our support .

Ironically Dicko, that's one of the worst games I've seen SOD play. Spent the majority of the first half pumping aimless balls down the length of the West Stand. Second half spent it hitting the first man, with crosses.

If ever there was a confidence player, it's SOD.

Whenever I've watched him play I've been impressed Dave but I have noticed he doesn't always get a game at Thistle so I won't doubt what you are saying about confidence. For me though - in this game - he was the best player on the park. In the first half there wasn't much to talk about at all but in the second I thought O'Donnell was Thistles best hope to create something for them with his positive runs. Three incidents won it for me all within a few minutes. The first was when he twisted and turned with his back to goal at the corner flag out on the right wing. He worked his way into a position on the bye line where he was able to whip across a really tempting ball. Moments after that, with the ball in the Thistle keepers hands he broke off on a run down the right wing, and the keeper clearly spotted it. O'Donnell latched onto the long ball but unfortunately fired well wide. And the third was his deft pass out to the right wing that created the goal - it was a lovely pass.

It's harder to notice his defensive successes. St Mirren were pretty poor going forward full stop, but Kelly and Drury were never an attacking threat. I checked O'Donnells positioning at various points in the second half and I was glad to see him tucked in to make a back three when he wasn't involved in the attacking play - it's a bug bear of mine in a game that often the positioning of a full back when out of the attacking play is often ignored but Archibald appears to have them well drilled.

All in all I'd stand by what I said though. In a game where few shone, I thought O'Donnell played well and he was certainly leagues apart from Naismith. I've admitted knowing the lad and his father but I don't think it's clouding

He turned it down last season, why would he take, or want the job now?

I posted about a year that he would love the job but wouldn't touch it whilst he was still playing. A player manager role doesn't interest him and "with our squad I'd have no choice but to play"....

If his boots were hung up then that would change everything IMO.

Edited by davidg

Few people are blaming Kello for the goal which is a bit unfair IMO. He had it covered but Cheesy deflected the shot and it was too late to react.

Edit - just watched it back, it actually took a couple of deflections on the way in.

Edited by davidg

Worst players? Really? You must have sat through years of watching Brian McGinty, Gary McVie, Alex Bone etc, etc and that's just in the striker position. I haven't seen a lot of Marwood so maybe I'll just need to take your word on it but if he's worse than the three I've named he really must be bad.

Agree with you on Naismith btw. O'Donnell was converted from a winger to a full back at Celtic and it shows.

You know stewards should be watching the crowd not the game

I posted about a year that he would love the job but wouldn't touch it whilst he was still playing. A player manager role doesn't interest him and "with our squad I'd have no choice but to play"....

If his boots were hung up then that would change everything IMO.

the management dream team - stuart mccall and thommo (imo)