Billy Mehmet

Mibees, but he scored 20 in conference last season. Would Billy nae goals?

Well I think he actually only scored 15, but aye, I think Billy would.

The Conference is terrible quality-wise. I'm not saying Thailand or Malaysia is some world football super power, mind.

Mehmet is a decent player and is much better than any of our fit strikers. I'd be happy with us signing him, but I can't see it happen.

Edited by JM1

Since Mehmet left, he seems to have found his way to scoring goals. Im not sure what the standard is like in the countries he has played, though surely in cant be any worse than the pish we have watched this season.

Playing Mehmet as the lone striker could work in my opinion, something he rarely got the chance at doing.

He was playing in the 2nd tier of malaysian football, that can't be a good standard... 28 goals is pretty good though but still, it's not even the top league in malaysia.

Although if Mehmet was available on an affordable wage I'd want him back in paisley he was never great but still pretty handy.

Since Mehmet left, he seems to have found his way to scoring goals. Im not sure what the standard is like in the countries he has played, though surely in cant be any worse than the pish we have watched this season.

Playing Mehmet as the lone striker could work in my opinion, something he rarely got the chance at doing.

I always thought Mehmet was better utilised on the right beside/behind a REAL striker.

His scoring record for us is almost the very antonym of the word striker.

Very doubtful we could herald him as a substitute for God.

Edited by stlucifer

With Thommo hopefully. Back by the year end, and the way we are shipping goals for fun does anyone with half a brain think we shoukd be spunking budget on yet another misfiring forward?

We've got a whole heap of non/part time scoring forwards in the squad.

I don't think we can bank on Thommo getting in there and everything being OK after such a lengthy time out.

We've needed more CB cover for years but the fans who are there week in week out could have told you that. Only the management didn't see it!

He was playing in the 2nd tier of malaysian football, that can't be a good standard... 28 goals is pretty good though but still, it's not even the top league in malaysia.

Although if Mehmet was available on an affordable wage I'd want him back in paisley he was never great but still pretty handy.

I have followed Billy,s journey from Perth Glory to Kedah watching games on bet365 and the likes and i can assure you he is a better player now than the one who left.There are a few videos on youtube that back up my claim.The fact that 3 top Malaysian teams want him will surely put us out the running and they pay £5,000 a week.I think Billy would give the club a lift which is badly needed at this time and hope that a deal could be done even if its short term.I can tell you that Billy loved his time at St Mirren and holds us dear to his heart so who knows what may happen.

Shows you how bad and desperate we are that everyone on here is salivating at the thought of no goals mehmet returning!

The same thing was suggested about a 2 years ago and was seen as ridiculous since we had players like thommo, goncalves, parkin with teale, mcgowan,imrie etc able to play off them and before that we had hasslebaink. He couldnt lace the boots of most of them. Now mehmets some kind of messiah!

It's sad times that we've come full circle and are back in the mire of looking at dud players Gus used to have in the team. IMO thats the worst thing we could do, those were dark days!

Edited by Big Yards

It's not just about his goal scoring though. His work rate, ability to hold the ball up and link the midfield to the attack would be invaluable to us.

Can Ball or Marwood hold the ball up?

This season how many times has our striker seemed 100 miles away from our midfield? Especially at home.

I think we are crying out for someone like him just now.

This idea that Mehmet couldn't score is a nonsense. Yes, he could have scored more, but around 1 in 3 isn't that shabby. Thommo's goals ratio before coming to Saints was about 1 in 5, so was he a dud?

In the modern game 1 goal in 3 games is a respectable return and would probably see a striker earn a move upwards.

Thommo'scloud9.gif record might have been around 1 in 5 but he's played a fair whack of his career at a higher level and not always as first choice - I had little doubt that he'd reach double figures for us, a feat he achieved with ease in each of his first three seasons with us.

As I said on the Speculation thread Thinking outside the box (and that's where Mehmet did most of his work with us) Billy is a big lad and might make an excellent defensive midfielder.

Him and Thommo could provide us with our own version of Strictly Come Dancing.........................spudnikboogie.gifspudnikdaddyo.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

In the modern game 1 goal in 3 games is a respectable return and would probably see a striker earn a move upwards.

Thommo'scloud9.gif record might have been around 1 in 5 but he's played a fair whack of his career at a higher level and not always as first choice - I had little doubt that he'd reach double figures for us, a feat he achieved with ease in each of his first three seasons with us.

As I said on the Speculation thread Thinking outside the box (and that's where Mehmet did most of his work with us) Billy is a big lad and might make an excellent defensive midfielder.

Him and Thommo could provide us with our own version of Strictly Come Dancing.........................spudnikboogie.gifspudnikdaddyo.gif

No - I think he is more an attacking midfielder rather than defensive.

No - I think he is more an attacking midfielder rather than defensive.

Then we don't need him, there's other areas that are a higher priority, can't believe this thread is already up to 50 posts throw in those in the Speculation thread and it shows how desperate we are all over a guy who's extremely unlikely to come - never say never!

It's readily available on numerous websites he scored (off the top of my head) something like 45 goals in 140 appearances - up there with the best of them in the modern era.

Take out his cup goals and 2005/06 when we were in Div 1 and you're left with 18 goals in 133 SPL appearances (not all starts), then consider some of these were penalties it's not really impressive having said that he always gave the proverbial 110% and I, for one, remember him fondly.......

Then we don't need him, there's other areas that are a higher priority, can't believe this thread is already up to 50 posts throw in those in the Speculation thread and it shows how desperate we are all over a guy who's extremely unlikely to come - never say never!

Take out his cup goals and 2005/06 when we were in Div 1 and you're left with 18 goals in 133 SPL appearances (not all starts), then consider some of these were penalties it's not really impressive having said that he always gave the proverbial 110% and I, for one, remember him fondly.......

Again I would argue that he wasn't a striker, but he did score goals and made them. And to suggest that we discount his cup goals is laughable - a goal is a goal, and his got us to a cup final. He also had a major stake in keeping us up in two seasons, and those weren't penalties.

ETA Oh, it was 27 goals in 133 not 18 wothout 05/06. Low enough without making it seem worse.

Edited by saint in exile