Billy Mehmet

Again I would argue that he wasn't a striker, but he did score goals and made them. And to suggest that we discount his cup goals is laughable - a goal is a goal, and his got us to a cup final. He also had a major stake in keeping us up in two seasons, and those weren't penalties.

ETA Oh, it was 27 goals in 133 not 18 wothout 05/06. Low enough without making it seem worse.

OK we all know what Disraeli said about statistics but I disagree with you about how much the relevance of the Cup goals many of which were scored against lower league part-time opposition would be to us in a SPFL relegation battle, which is where we are once again.

As for my figures I got them from soccerbase - in Wikipedia it says he got 27 but there are discrepancies for example wiki claims he scored 10 league goals in 2008/09 but if you click on the season details it'll show you he got 7 league goals, 2 of which were penalties. Throw in 2009/10 and that accounts for another discrepancy of 4 league goals - soccerbase 5 wiki 9 so that's 7 of the difference accounted for. Even if I give you 20 SPL goals it's still not the return required to pull us away from a relegation battle.

All I was trying to do was deconstruct Ayrshire Saint's claim that his goals/game ratio was "up there with the best of them in the modern era". As I've said Mehmet is a player whose time with us I remember fondly but he's not the Messiah and I don't know him well enough to say comment on how naughty he is.

Edited by Bud the Baker

How do some people win the lottery then when they use the same numbers every week?

The lottery is a game of chance hence why its gambling to play it.Hence why it has odds of 14,000,000 to 1 ?

Football is supposed to be a game requiring 'tactics' and 'ability' of whatever degree , you wouldn't want to try same 'tactics & players ' 14 million times if it isn't working :P

I believe Mehmet could do a decent job for us , I also think he played in a tougher league last time he was with us , and would do better against the current defences in the spl , not the messiah , but a hard working team player , who would make a difference and help us stay up

If Billy was playing then the number of bodies on the park would decrease by 1 and the number of football players would increase by 1. We go out most weeks with passengers in the team. Billy would help redress that balance.

Edited by Sonny

If Billy was playing then the number of bodies on the park would decrease by 1 and the number of football players would increase by 1. We go out most weeks with passengers in the team. Billy would help redress that balance.

Oh how rose coloured glasses tint further with age!

Mehmet was an average player who scored very few goals for us.

I was as delighted as the next supporter when he scored that goal in the semi final and I would say he probably had one of his best games on the field of play in a Saints' strip.

Given that. It should be remembered that the field I mention was more of a paddy type suited better to rice growing than flair showing.

He gave 100% most games, which he needed to to realise his potential of mediocrity.

A backward leap rather than step if he were to grace our team again with his presence.

Edited by stlucifer

I was as delighted as the next supporter when he scored that goal in the semi final and I would say he probably had one of his best games on the field of play in a Saints' strip.

Given that. It should be remembered that the field I mention was more of a paddy type suited better to rice growing than flair showing.

He gave 100% most games, which he needed to to realise his potential of mediocrity.

A backward leap rather than step if he were to grace our team again with his presence.

It's a hypothetical question but... Who would you prefer upfront from Ball, Marwood, Caldwell, Reilly or Mehmet? As it currently stands, I'd take Mehmet all day long out of that lot.

So would he improve the team in its current state? Yes imo. Is it likely we could or would sign him? Probably not.

It's nothing to do with tinted specs and all to do with how poor our current team and in particular striking options are. As the previous poster pointed out Mehmet would walk straight in to our current team and I would confidently predict in their whole Saints careers Marwood, Ball and Caldwell will score less goals COMBINED that Mehmet did. Oh for a Mehmet today (and a Dorman too while we are at it)

Naw , nothing wrong with my eyesight. I see players now playing for us that lack basic professional skills. Mehmet isn't Messi but this is a thread about Mehmet and whether he would improve the team. Damn right he would be better than several now that we are stuck with that show no sign of improvement.

Naw , nothing wrong with my eyesight. I see players now playing for us that lack basic professional skills. Mehmet isn't Messi but this is a thread about Mehmet and whether he would improve the team. Damn right he would be better than several now that we are stuck with that show no sign of improvement.

That's where we need to agree to differ then.

I DON'T think Mehmet would do any better than Caldwell, or even Marwood, if all were given the chance of a decent run in the team.

Our problems lie much deeper than that. If Ball wasn't forced tpo go wide to chase the game there is a chance, just a chance, that his confidence would rise and he would score the goals we need.

Mehmet running around like a heedless chicken wouldn't score goals.... Like I say,.... In my opinion.

It is all about opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs.

Billy wasn't let go by us. He was offered a new contract but chose to go. Allegedly Aberdeen and Motherwell both wanted to sign him and there was interest from Millwall but a £10k a week salary from Turkey was his choice. Others saw a lot more to Billy's ability than we did at the time. In an interview Billy said he liked some space and run at people with the ball but we mostly played him as sole striker which I do not think was his best position.

I do not think Billy is a new Messiah however I do think he is a far better player than most we have signed this season. He was a decent footballer. I have yet to see that in many of this season's signings. The players we let go were also better than the ones we replaced them with. Billy is an honest player and did score more goals than McGowan for example and I would take McGowan back in a heartbeat as well.

It is all about opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs.

Billy wasn't let go by us. He was offered a new contract but chose to go. Allegedly Aberdeen and Motherwell both wanted to sign him and there was interest from Millwall but a £10k a week salary from Turkey was his choice. Others saw a lot more to Billy's ability than we did at the time. In an interview Billy said he liked some space and run at people with the ball but we mostly played him as sole striker which I do not think was his best position.

I do not think Billy is a new Messiah however I do think he is a far better player than most we have signed this season. He was a decent footballer. I have yet to see that in many of this season's signings. The players we let go were also better than the ones we replaced them with. Billy is an honest player and did score more goals than McGowan for example and I would take McGowan back in a heartbeat as well.

As frustrating as Mehmet was, he's head shoulders above the likes of Marwood, Ball and Caldwell, in terms of ability.

Anyway, unless he lets sentimentality cloud his judgement, he won't be signing for us.

Was Billy at the game today?

He'd have been better than the imposters we have upfront. How anyone can watch the players we played up top today and criticize Mehmet I don't know! His effort, determination and ability to hold up would be an asset to the team. Still we know it won't happen.

• 3 years later...