Sweeties

whydowebother

I was inspecting a Sweetie factory today (Yorkshire) as part of my job and was rather surprised to see sweeties that I didn't know still get made.

A range of hard boiled sweets some of which I recognise but can't remember the names / nougat/ liquorice/ sherbet dib dabs / bazooka bubbly amongst many they make.

There was one on a strip of about 10 covered in cocoa powder ? Looked like a 10 finger kit Kat arrangement but it was chewy strips , I mind you could buy them from Berts van when I lived in Foxbar , can anyone remember what they might be ?

What great sweeties have disappeared ?

Were they not Chelsea Whoppers - they might have dropped the Chelsea bit later or folk just stopped using it - or maybe I'm talking shite?

(Cue the usual unfunny suspect with "maybe? lol")

They were indeed and the can still be bought in Allmarks on Inchinnan Road in Renfrew along with a fair few other classics.

http://www.allmarksweets.co.uk/chelsea-whoppers-pack/

Two doors up from there is a post office the old fashioned type like everything seems to be on Bute. There two shelve around 10ft in length with nothing but Jars of boiling sweets ones I remember from being small lad. Remember these ones that looks like peanuts with the shells on. can't remember their name. Cinnamon balls , all sorts of stuff. On his chocolate shelf sells five centres.

There's a new 'American Candy' sweetie shop just opened in the Piazza next to Iceland, sells lots of yer auld classics as well as US classics like Hershey and Babe Ruth bars. If I wasn't Type 2 myself, I'd be like a pre-diabetic kid in a candy store !

I was back at the factory today , it was indeed Chelsea Whoppers :)

Sampled a few sherbet lemons today , they even make them wee cherry lips that stick your teeth together amongst loads of other classics I can't remember the name of.

Didnae see the sweet peanuts though in the seperate nut production area :(

American chocolate's crap.

TBH British "chocolate", as much as it's superior to US chocolate, is pretty crap too, if eaten as a "pure" chocolate.

Overly sweet , packed full of vegetable oil and only about 20% cocoa solids. Does a good job when combined with biscuit,caramel, toffee etc. in a "bar".

However, if it's decent chocolate on it's own, then it has to be something along the lines of European type chocolate with 40% cocoa solids minimum, for me.

Some of the 60%/ 70%/80% single varietal cocoa beans from specific regions/countries are superb. Although, I draw the line at the wanky past time of eating dark chocolate with red wine.

I've tried a few of the high cocoa volume chocolate bars from places like Kenya, Columbiaia etc (the sorts of places you would get coffee from) and personally I don't think there is actually much taste to them.

I must have more refined taste buds.tongue.png

Some dark chocolate is really bitter, but there are plenty out there that have mellow, almost fruity tastes.

I've got some 70% Dominican stuff at the moment that's got a smoky, nutty flavour. Best taken in small bits though, with a strong espresso.

Edited by FTOF

TBH British "chocolate", as much as it's superior to US chocolate, is pretty crap too, if eaten as a "pure" chocolate.

Overly sweet , packed full of vegetable oil and only about 20% cocoa solids. Does a good job when combined with biscuit,caramel, toffee etc. in a "bar".

However, if it's decent chocolate on it's own, then it has to be something along the lines of European type chocolate with 40% cocoa solids minimum, for me.

Some of the 60%/ 70%/80% single varietal cocoa beans from specific regions/countries are superb. Although, I draw the line at the wanky past time of eating dark chocolate with red wine.

This was good chocolate if you could get it. .

1.jpg

These wans always seemed a bit dear. .

frys-chocolate-cream-so-long-ago-so-clea