Celtic Not Wearing Poppy's

My. Son asking me why Celtic are the only team not wearing a poppy. Every team in uk football have a poppy on there shirt except Celtic surely the authorities must take done action. I can understand individual players not wearing Poppy's but football clubs have a duty to carry. Out

What would happen if certain clubs didn't take part in the kick it out campaign. Would that be ok naw. Sick of them but it's a bad day when my child us asking why they don't wear a poppy.

I think people criticising Celtic FC are falling into a trap. Lets face it the soldiers who lost their lives in WWW2 especially were fighting to preserve the kind of freedoms in UK society that allows individuals and organisations the right to hold their own opinion. Anyone trying to brow beat others into wearing a poppy are doing almost as much a disservice to the servicemen we remember as those arseholes amongst the Celtic support who chose to sing and shout abuse rather than respecting other people's right to remembrance.

I read James McCleans letter to the Wigan fans as he explained the reasons why he refused to wear a poppy. I guess many others would have done too and it was hard really to castigate him for his opinion. He's from Derry, the scene of Sunday Bloody Sunday. I can understand why some from there might feel that the fact that we remember all fallen servicemen and not just the ones who died in the first and second world wars may seem distasteful to them. McCleans opinion is not one I share, but I respect his right to hold a different opinion from me, and to his credit he stood silently and respected the two minute silence prior to Wigans match yesterday afternoon too. Where Celtic have scored an own goal in my opinion is once again in the behaviour of their fans. It would be good if either the authorities or Celtic FC themselves could come out and make a statement about their lack of respect for the opinion of others but I doubt that will happen while fans of other clubs fail to respect Celtic FC's right to hold a differing opinion.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS

I think people criticising Celtic FC are falling into a trap. Lets face it the soldiers who lost their lives in WWW2 especially were fighting to preserve the kind of freedoms in UK society that allows individuals and organisations the right to hold their own opinion. Anyone trying to brow beat others into wearing a poppy are doing almost as much a disservice to the servicemen we remember as those arseholes amongst the Celtic support who chose to sing and shout abuse rather than respecting other people's right to remembrance.

I read James McCleans letter to the Wigan fans as he explained the reasons why he refused to wear a poppy. I guess many others would have done too and it was hard really to castigate him for his opinion. He's from Derry, the scene of Sunday Bloody Sunday. I can understand why some from there might feel that the fact that we remember all fallen servicemen and not just the ones who died in the first and second world wars may seem distasteful to them. McCleans opinion is not one I share, but I respect his right to hold a different opinion from me, and to his credit he stood silently and respected the two minute silence prior to Wigans match yesterday afternoon too. Where Celtic have scored an own goal in my opinion is once again in the behaviour of their fans. It would be good if either the authorities or Celtic FC themselves could come out and make a statement about their lack of respect for the opinion of others but I doubt that will happen while fans of other clubs fail to respect Celtic FC's right to hold a differing opinion.

Its all Al-iqsammin's fault...

What about the innocent people murdered by the British Army do we do anything for them?

Errrrr... why not remember them with respect during the 2 minutes silence? Surely it can be personalised. That's the beauty of silence.

I've been to many a funeral where a minister has prayed and asked people to recall their own personal memories in silence...

Aside from one phone ring tone... interestingly enough Depeche Mode and Just Can't get Enough on a Celtic fans phone... I have never heard it abused or disrupted... not even by atheists.

Likewise... at humanitarian funerals... even the Christians have been able to respectfully observe a silence.

Edited by BuddieinEK

Things are improving.

A few short years ago the poppy fascists in an act of unmitigated irony would have filled 8 pages with their bleating about this nonsense.

WW1 was 100 years ago and WW2 started 75 years ago.

There's barely a veteran alive now from either campaign.

It's about time we stopped all this nonsense.

It would be at least understandable if we had shown as a nation that we had learned from these wars.

Our capers in Iraq, the Falklands and Afghanistan show we've learned nothing.

Remebrance Day has been hijacked by veterans and families of veterans from other less worthy conflicts and that is what has killed it for me.

All this Military wives and Help a Hero guff has basically stripped the entire thing of its dignity.

I agree but this thread is asking why Celtic didn't have a poppy on their strips.

I wouldn't wear a poppy and Celtic exercised their rights to do likewise

The poppy debate is a distraction and a sideshow. As I've said if someone doesn't want to wear a poppy - whether it's an individual or as in this case a football club - then I respect their right not to do so. Where the anger should be directed is at the handful of Celtic supporters at the Aberdeen match who failed to respect the rights of others to remember in silence, and at the Aberdeen fan who was so stupid that he responded, loudly, with sectarian shouts through the minutes silence. The BBC have reported that the police have arrested the individuals concerned and I do hope they are appropriately punished in the courts and by the clubs they support

I agree but this thread is asking why Celtic didn't have a poppy on their strips.

I wouldn't wear a poppy and Celtic exercised their rights to do likewise

Was that the wish of every individual player or was that imposed to appease the fans who gave them a hard time when they last had a poppy on their shirts?

I'm in favour of personal choice... is Celtic?

Was that the wish of every individual player or was that imposed to appease the fans who gave them a hard time when they last had a poppy on their shirts?

I'm in favour of personal choice... is Celtic?

BinEK. the Celtic manager is clearly seen wearing a poppy at the match yesterday. I suppose if any of the players felt strongly about it they could have fashioned some safe way to attach a poppy to their kit, even if it was to print off a sticker the night before and to attach it to their kit.

If Celtic took a business decision not to go to the expense of having a poppy embroidered onto their kit surely it's their right to choose to do so. As I said last night the soldiers we are supposed to be remembering believed they were fighting to preserve our freedom. This attempt to bully those who choose not to wear a poppy to comply is just as disrespectful to the memory of those soldiers as it is to sing through a one minute silence IMO.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

And charged with what?

"Minor Disturbances" whatever that means. I'd imagine it would be a Breach Of The Peace offence. I can't find the article on the BBC website despite it being on the news earlier - but the Daily Record is carrying the story.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-supporters-arrested-after-poppy-4603311

Press and Journal

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/396630/celtic-fans-arrested-for-jeering-through-remembrance-sunday-silence/

Edited by Stuart Dickson