Could Anyone Do Any Better

I know tommy signed a lot of the players but will a new manager do any better as they are really a terrible team. I mean I thought it was bad last year but this lot are utter garbage. Ball, caldwell and marwood are never ever going to fire you to safety. We needed an older striker who could notch goals not three young one who quite frankly are not good enough. Tommy might turn it around if and when he gets players back. He should be allowed that and if he does he should really clear out some of the players he signed in the summer as watching us just now is absolute torture it would get football stopped. At present we will go down. Only a miraculous turn around will help or do you sack the gaffer and try to get a new man to lift the place. Clearly doing it on on the cheap hasn't paid off

Your probably right whilst thinking about it it is his squad he let McGowan go he never bought to replace mcgregor he actually has made a bad attempt of having a squad capable to compete. By the way I'm all for young players playing but they ought to be good enough and sadly some of ours are not anywhere near as good as they get bummed up to be. Look at united lads now they are ball players and with the exception of McGinn and McLean our young lads don't match up

I know tommy signed a lot of the players but will a new manager do any better as they are really a terrible team. I mean I thought it was bad last year but this lot are utter garbage. Ball, caldwell and marwood are never ever going to fire you to safety. We needed an older striker who could notch goals not three young one who quite frankly are not good enough. Tommy might turn it around if and when he gets players back. He should be allowed that and if he does he should really clear out some of the players he signed in the summer as watching us just now is absolute torture it would get football stopped. At present we will go down. Only a miraculous turn around will help or do you sack the gaffer and try to get a new man to lift the place. Clearly doing it on on the cheap hasn't paid off

So at what point would it be appropriate to change managers? A new boss would need time to assess the squad, identify weaknesses and to create a list of targets to improve the situation. I presume you would want all of that done by the 1st of January so a change in November to early December would make sense. Leaving it to roll on much longer would really limit a new managers opportunities to turn things around.

Someone on the other thread mentioned that Sunderland last season sacked their manager mid season and they survived the drop. It's true, they did. Di Canio was hunted on the 23rd of September and Poyet was given a number of months to assess his squad and to identify targets. He brought in Alonso, Vergini and Bridcutt, brought back Bardsley from the wilderness and recalled Connor Wickham back to Sunderland having been out on loan. Each of those players played a big part in the end to keep Sunderland up but even at that they took it right to the wire before recovering to avoid the drop.

I'd say that if St Mirren were planning to change their manager it would need to be done soon. Dragging it on wouldn't be fair on Craig, on the players, or on any new boss coming in

With or without a Zimmer Frame.

In a word, yes. I know things are a bit more complicated than one word answers or reactions however. The injury situation is ridiculous, and would hamper any team, but we weren't exactly banging the goals in when everyone (bar Thommo) was fit, were we? Questions have to be asked about the training as it seems that's where most of the injuries are getting picked up, if I'm not mistaken.

It looks like we're going to be in a relegation fight yet again, and I'm not sure Tommy is the man to get us out of it. In fact, I know he isn't. His managerial record speaks for itself.

Your probably right whilst thinking about it it is his squad he let McGowan go he never bought to replace mcgregor he actually has made a bad attempt of having a squad capable to compete. By the way I'm all for young players playing but they ought to be good enough and sadly some of ours are not anywhere near as good as they get bummed up to be. Look at united lads now they are ball players and with the exception of McGinn and McLean our young lads don't match up

Would McGinn and McLean get into the Dundee utd team? Wouldn't bank on it

McGowan, Harkins, mcgennis, carey and imrie. All let go by us, all hopeless with us with exception to McGowan and Carey at times. All are top performers at theor new clubs. Something is totally wrong down at greenhill rd. Firstly nobody is happy playing and training with us and secondly we continue to release good players and bring in rubbish because we are on a continuos cost cutting mission to the point that we had the youngest squad in the clubs 137 year history on Saturday! Give us a break BOD, you are going to end up with nobody at the games and the club in jeopardy!

If mars started reducing the size of the bar every year and kept charging the same price nobody would buy the chocolate bar and they would go out of business. I fear we are on a similar road at present.

Good call on the Phone In on Friday, Bud thumbup2.gif

Don't agree that we have a poor team, we certainly have areas of the field where we are lacking but they should have been filled properly in the summer.

A good manager would have looked at his squad in the summer and seen that we have good players in certain positions but had areas where we really needed to strengthen and areas where we needed competent backups. We had a fairly strong midfield but badly needed tried and tested strikers and centre backs. He should have had the balls to drop Cheesey as first choice CB and bring in 2 CB's and bring in strikers who are tried and tested at this level to play alongside or as backup to Thommo.

On paper in the summer we didn't have any worse a team that Hamilton, Dundee, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock etc. Difference is they have managers that can get performances out of their players and have made good signings to strengthen in the areas they needed to.

Edited by irvine_buddie

The players brought in were never good enough even the Man City boys are not as good as the Newcastle connection. Take his coat kick him in the baws put him on the 64 with his bus pass and make sure he never darkens our door again. He will not turn this around with his ability as a Manager so get a decent guy in and give him a chance to get looking at players to bring in.

The players brought in were never good enough even the Man City boys are not as good as the Newcastle connection. Take his coat kick him in the baws put him on the 64 with his bus pass and make sure he never darkens our door again. He will not turn this around with his ability as a Manager so get a decent guy in and give him a chance to get looking at players to bring in.

Watched the Newcastle game yesterday and Dummet never put a foot wrong, as good as he was with us I never thought he would become a regular in the EPL so quickly. Plummer has potential to make it at that level but Drury has no chance. There’s flashes of potential from Drury maybe in a couple of years he’ll be a good player at this level but if he makes it near the Man City or any other EPL first team squad I’ll eat my saint scarf.

We need to get rid of TC ASAP so we can get someone in in time to assess his squad and make signings in January, even if it is loans and free transfers.

There is not a lot of disagreement amongst those posting on here but the problem seems to be that nobody at the club is facing up to the root cause of why we are in the dire position we find ourselves today, which is that over the last 2 or 3 seasons we have had a massive clearout of players of reasonable ability and replaced them with players of lesser ability, no doubt for cost cutting reasons.

As has been previously pointed out by myself and quite a few others on here, the likes of McGowan, Samson, Carey, Imrie, Harkins and McGinn have gone on to other clubs and whilst they might not be setting the heather on fire, they were certainly better than what we have today and you have to ask would we be at the foot of the league if they were still at GHR. Then there are the 'loan' players that we can't afford to keep such as Dummett, Newton and Goncalves.

The transfer strategy is no doubt decided by the BOD as is the choice of manager.

If the current and the previous managers had been up to the task, perhaps we would have got more out of the players we have/had and also a better quality of replacement players signed.

All of which answers the question "Could Anyone Do Any Better?".

But the next questions are "Who?" and "When?".

The decision to renew Teale and Goodwin have proved to be poor decisions .

We should have signed a few players aged between 25 - 30 , who would be at their physical peak , and less likely to get injured , and also offered a bit of experience on the park on a regular basis.

Hoping we can get a few players back soon , as we have very few options on the bench to change things

Well Ian the players you mention are setting the heather on fire at other clubs.Paul McGinn and Carey were in two papers team of the day at the weekend.Harkins and McGowan are the star men most weeks.Not to mention my friend Jon Robertson scored against Hibs on Saturday.

A couple of players like Jon Robertson with a few seasons experience in the lower leagues , would have added more to the squad than the likes of Ball and Marwood

The decision to renew Teale and Goodwin have proved to be poor decisions .

We should have signed a few players aged between 25 - 30 , who would be at their physical peak , and less likely to get injured , and also offered a bit of experience on the park on a regular basis.

Hoping we can get a few players back soon , as we have very few options on the bench to change things

Could you imagine us playing against Goodwin ? Every other team in the league out with Celtic would take Goodwin in a heart beat.

Goodwin knocked back Hibs when they were in the SPL he was a big part of the cup winning team. Sorry can't agree with you.

This seem like a time to kick the shit out everyone involved with the first team. I'm frustrated as the next fan. However I do know get a full strength team on the park and we will pick up points. Though I'm not convinced by Tommy Craig's appointment.