Could Anyone Do Any Better

Could you imagine us playing against Goodwin ? Every other team in the league out with Celtic would take Goodwin in a heart beat.

Goodwin knocked back Hibs when they were in the SPL he was a big part of the cup winning team. Sorry can't agree with you.

This seem like a time to kick the shit out everyone involved with the first team. I'm frustrated as the next fan. However I do know get a full strength team on the park and we will pick up points. Though I'm not convinced by Tommy Craig's appointmen

All of the players who are missing at present, minus Thommo, helped to put us in this position.

Even at full strength we would struggle to survive in this league against the might of the likes of Hamilton, Ross County, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.

The less said about Goodwin the better.

We have a goalkeeper who has cost us points in 5 matches out of 13 who remains 1st pick ahead of Tommy Craig's other goalkeeper signing in the summer.

In defence we are on our 3rd centre half pairing in 13 games and still haven't kept a clean sheet even when playing a 2nd division cup side or off form bottom of the league Ross County at home. Up front Tommy Craig refuses to use his best striker according to Top Cat, preferring to keep him on the bench behind unfit Calum Ball and James Marwood (no goals in any competitions after 14 starts). Adam Drury and Thomas Reilly are regularly played out of position and under Tommy Craig we've seen Naismith, Kelly, McGinn and McLean regress instead of improve. It's hard to think of anything Craig has done well in his first few months in charge... even his grammatically improved interviews are coming in for stick based on the poor levels of analysis in them.

We've lost 70% of our league games under Craig and scored 3 goals at home in 7 league games where we have picked up 1 point out of 21.

It is hard to imagine a complete novice with no football knowledge doing any worse than Tommy Craig. Even Barry Ferguson may have fared marginally better if he had been disasterously appointed instead!

The spine of the team isn"t strong enough and while you can sometimes get away with being short in one or two areas i would say we are failing right down the spine of the team - goalkeeper, centre back, centre mid, centre forward.

The BOD gambled in the summer and so far you would have to say it's gone spectacularly wrong

The spine of the team isn"t strong enough and while you can sometimes get away with being short in one or two areas i would say we are failing right down the spine of the team - goalkeeper, centre back, centre mid, centre forward.

The BOD gambled in the summer and so far you would have to say it's gone spectacularly wrong

i heard someone say almost exactly the same as that in the pub on saturday, is this you KB ?

All of the players who are missing at present, minus Thommo, helped to put us in this position.

Even at full strength we would struggle to survive in this league against the might of the likes of Hamilton, Ross County, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.

The less said about Goodwin the better.

Nonsense

Could you imagine us playing against Goodwin ? Every other team in the league out with Celtic would take Goodwin in a heart beat.

Goodwin knocked back Hibs when they were in the SPL he was a big part of the cup winning team. Sorry can't agree with you.

This seem like a time to kick the shit out everyone involved with the first team. I'm frustrated as the next fan. However I do know get a full strength team on the park and we will pick up points. Though I'm not convinced by Tommy Craig's appointment.

Nobody is denying we'll pick up points...2 is still plural.

My worry is if we start playing ugly, I hate to imagine how much worse that could be.

This seem like a time to kick the shit out everyone involved with the first team. I'm frustrated as the next fan. However I do know get a full strength team on the park and we will pick up points. Though I'm not convinced by Tommy Craig's appointment.

I don,t think Goodwin would be a highly sought after player if we had released him . Refs basically have it in for him , and the opposition exploit the fact , which in effect makes him a liability , theres lots I like about him , and other players seem to get away with more .

I just feel that we need a strong spine of experienced players running through the team , and squad in place that should be able o provide this.

We have a squad where the majority of players are under 21 or over 30 , ideally I think we shave the biggest percentage of the squad in the 26 - 30 age group , where the would be fitter , stronger , experienced , and less likely to be out injured.

There is not a lot of disagreement amongst those posting on here but the problem seems to be that nobody at the club is facing up to the root cause of why we are in the dire position we find ourselves today, which is that over the last 2 or 3 seasons we have had a massive clearout of players of reasonable ability and replaced them with players of lesser ability, no doubt for cost cutting reasons.

As has been previously pointed out by myself and quite a few others on here, the likes of McGowan, Samson, Carey, Imrie, Harkins and McGinn have gone on to other clubs and whilst they might not be setting the heather on fire, they were certainly better than what we have today and you have to ask would we be at the foot of the league if they were still at GHR. Then there are the 'loan' players that we can't afford to keep such as Dummett, Newton and Goncalves.

The transfer strategy is no doubt decided by the BOD as is the choice of manager.

If the current and the previous managers had been up to the task, perhaps we would have got more out of the players we have/had and also a better quality of replacement players signed.

All of which answers the question "Could Anyone Do Any Better?".

But the next questions are "Who?" and "When?".

Absolutely spot on.

I think there would a number of decent candidates if the board actually took the time to recruit and interview this time around .. Billy Davies for one I would love to see back at St Mirren , also listening to Billy McKinlay on the radio tonight he sounds like a guy who would do well with lots of contacts in the game , Steve lomas would be another interesting choice also with Thommo being big pals with Owen Coyle that could be an interesting management duo ......

One things for sure Tommy Craig is not the answer he was the a pathetic and lazy appointment by our BOD and one they have to move on quickly giving the new man time to plan for the January window before we end up in the championship

I think the club will be glad of the international break , hoping that things will of calmed down by the next game.

Perhaps in the hope the fans will not be focusing on Tommy's ineptitude, but more on the next fixture.

Lose the next game , then surely we may see a decision made by the club as regards to our manager?

Edited by whydowebother

It looks like TC is going nowhere( in a geographical sense) as many on here have said if he loses the next game then he must be on his way. We then lose the next game and he remains in charge and so it has gone on since the start of the season. It is unbelievable that the board haven't considered the attendances dropping below 2k if this continues. The loss of revenue from that alone is massive to a club like St Mirren. Wasn't at the thistle game but from the highlights it looked like the crowd was only decent thanks to a large following for the jags. PLEASE ACT NOW before it really is too late.

The St Mirren FB announced the sale of tickets yesterday for the ICT game. 40 comments on it so far - only one said they were going, the rest said they weren't. The one that was going stated going out of 'hope' rather than expectation. Sums it up really.

Wouldnt use the facebook page as much of a barometer. If you think this site is full of trumpets then read through some of the stuff there!

Wouldnt use the facebook page as much of a barometer. If you think this site is full of trumpets then read through some of the stuff there!

Exactly. I read on there we were 400,000 in debt yesterday.

Back OT, if/when TC is removed there will be two or three candidates assuming the BoD stick with their well worn MO of appointing from within.

They will be Steven Thompson, Gary Teale and Davie Longwell as an outside shout. Who knows it they will do any better, neither of them has managed before.