Isma Goncalves The Legend

Nice to see the legend has kept the number 77 at Rio Ave. Seems to be doing well too. Has a goal chalked off against Benfica just last week in the below clip about 1.20 in.

And got Rio Ave through to the Europa League Group stage against Elfsborg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oxRaqsA5oQE

How we could do with this man right now, absolute class act! Was a privilege to see him play in the stripes. If only we had the 400k at the time to pay for him, a bargain for a player of his calibre IMO, would've kept us up on his own! Hope he wins a move to Benfica, sporting or Porto and we see him in the champions league, he's good enough.

Edited by Big Yards

Nice to see the legend has kept the number 77 at Rio Ave. Seems to be doing well too. Has a goal chalked off against Benfica just last week in the below clip about 1.20 in.

How we could do with this man right now, absolute class act! Was a privilege to see him play in the stripes. If only we had the 400k at the time to pay for him, a bargain for a player of his calibre IMO, would've kept us up on his own! Hope he wins a move to Benfica, sporting or Porto and we see him in the champions league, he's good enough.

REALLY

What utter nonsence

He was quite good but I do think you may have gone a bit over the top in your praise.

You really think so? We're talking about a guy who came in and scored 4 goals in his first 3 games, played a huge part in helping us win our first national trophy in decades and ended up in the Guinness book of records! Isma was one of the best players ever to put on a st mirren Jersey imo.

He's now playing in the Portuguese top flight with a club who are sitting 8th, playing in the europa league thanks to him and he's one of their best players. Not many at mirren players you could say all that about! I don't think I was over the top at all and I hope Isma proves it by having a great career at the very highest level.

Even if he was to quit playing tomorrow he's still one of the greatest stories our club has ever had! Just look at our current team and strikers and think back to isma in full flow. It's like they're playing 2 different sports!

Edited by Big Yards

A class act who gave us something different. His debut was sublime, Celtic didn't know what hit them !

Probably only came to us because he fell out with his own club but one of the best loan signings we've made. As Poz said at the time "The Loan King"

I also seen many a game where he made zero impact and couldn't beat a single man. He made a great start and played a big role in winning the cup. A lot of people seem to remember where that team came in the league when talking about some of the players we had that season.

I also seen many a game where he made zero impact and couldn't beat a single man. He made a great start and played a big role in winning the cup. A lot of people seem to remember where that team came in the league when talking about some of the players we had that season.

Indeed.

He had an excellent impact and he had 3 great games. The semi, the final and at home to St Johnstone in the cup.

He, like the rest of the team that year, were pretty poor in the league. That's why they finished 11th. Will certainly be correctly remembered as a legend for his cup performances though.

From that team it appears Paul Dummett will go on to have the best career, he's arguably been Newcastle's best player this season and is the first name on their team sheet.

What utter nonsence ?????

You are a clown mate, this guy had a huge impact at our club in the short time we had him!

Dont think you should be calling me a clown if i'm your mate......

Anyway, Isma was a decent signing, scored some important goals for us in his short time here. However, he was largely annonymous in quite a few of his matches and failed to have any impact what so ever. I appreciate what he done in his time here but the OP said he's good enough for Porto or Sporting Lisbon and Champions League material. :lol: Give it a rest.

Anyway, Isma was a decent signing, scored some important goals for us in his short time here. However, he was largely annonymous in quite a few of his matches and failed to have any impact what so ever. I appreciate what he done in his time here but the OP said he's good enough for Porto or Sporting Lisbon and Champions League material. :lol: Give it a rest.

We'll see! In the wee clip against Benfica he left theor defence for dead at the goal that got disallowed. Players like big luisao couldn't handle him. Don't see why he couldn't move to one of the big 3 in Portugal if he's performing well for a mid table club?

We'll see! In the wee clip against Benfica he left theor defence for dead at the goal that got disallowed. Players like big luisao couldn't handle him. Don't see why he couldn't move to one of the big 3 in Portugal if he's performing well for a mid table club?

Because the 'Big 3' in Portugal are a level, maybe even two above the rest in Portugal. Similar circumstance with what we had in Scotland not so long ago. Just because he's knocked a few goals in for a mediocre club in Portugal doesnt mean he's Champions League class for christ sake.

He was decent in his time here but he was nowhere near as good a player as some people try to make out.

Because the 'Big 3' in Portugal are a level, maybe even two above the rest in Portugal. Similar circumstance with what we had in Scotland not so long ago. Just because he's knocked a few goals in for a mediocre club in Portugal doesnt mean he's Champions League class for christ sake.

He was decent in his time here but he was nowhere near as good a player as some people try to make out.

Are you being serious? The guy was phenomenal for st mirren!

Decent is what you would call the likes of the old Stephen Thomson or David van zanten, Isma was far better than just being called decent!

Edited by Big Yards

In the same way that a mid table player in Scotland such as Scott brown at hibs gets a move to Celtic and becomes a champions league player. I don't think it's out of the question to say Isma couldn't get a move to one of portugals big 3. Ryan gaulds already at one of them. Edited by Big Yards

Are you being serious? The guy was phenomenal for st mirren!

He really wasnt.

Answer me this. For a mere 300k anyone could've purchased him after he was finished with us. Why did nobody touch him? After all 300k for a Champions League quality player is a steal, right?

In the same way that a mid table player in Scotland such as Scott brown at hibs gets a move to Celtic and becomes a champions league player. I don't think it's out of the question to say Isma couldn't get a move to one of portugals big 3. Ryan gaulds already at one of them.

Scott Brown was one of the best young prospects in the Scottish game at the time, his performances for Hibs alongside Kevin Thomson we're excellent. That's why it cost Celtic £4million to sign him.

Additionally, It took Brown a long time to raise his game to play in the Champions League for Celtic. Many fans we're questioning if he could make the step up. Fortunately for both he did.

Concalves has scored ONE league goal this season and you're touting him for a place upfront at Porto ffs :lol:

Yes - has only scored one goal this season.

However there are a number of facts that have been missed out that should be added to that.

This season Isma has made 6 appearances.

Two of those were as a substitute, once with less than 20 minutes to go and once with less than 10 minutes to go.

Of his four starts, two were as a forward and two were on the wing.

From this he has one goal and one assist.

What's even more vitally important is that he isn't actually an out and out striker, and he never has been.

In my opinion he is an excellent player. Sure he might have the odd off game, but there literally isn't a single player in the entire world who is a match winner in every game they play.

We would be a much better team right now with him in our squad.

Fair do's, you're not a clown, clowns are funny!

Anyway, Isma was a decent signing, scored some important goals for us in his short time here. However, he was largely annonymous in quite a few of his matches and failed to have any impact what so ever. I appreciate what he done in his time here but the OP said he's good enough for Porto or Sporting Lisbon and Champions League material. lol.gif: Give it a rest.

That wouldn't have been hard.