The Loch Ness Monster

RickMcD

There was a guy on Channel 5 last night trying to make out there's no such being as Nessie. Bloody nerve of him! Mind I think he was a sassenach so what does he know? Probably just jealous that England ain't got one. As Ricky Tomlinson would say, 'Elephants my arse!' It's near as bad as saying there are no leprechauns over here in Ireland.

(PS Do they no know what a nice little earner Nessie is?)

Sadly, nothing new on the programme.

I enjoyed the experts uneasily pointing out that there WERE 3 definite live large animals (unidentified) recorded during the 'sonar trawl' and that the film of animate, self-propelled moving objects MAY have been seals.

No road alongside it till the 1930s - yet the show's 'demolition' expert blamed the sudden spike on sightings at this time on... Horror movies!

You need to go 50 miles out into the Atlantic to get water as deep as that in the loch; it's over 25 miles long; 2 miles at its widest; not only can you fit ALL OF the Lake District's "lakes" easily within Loch Ness but ALL of England's fresh water; its sides are just off vertical and riven with depressions, cracks and caves...

It's a hell of an environment that's barely been explored.

I've sailed up and down it, camped beside it, I drive along it....

I am NOT a sceptic. :)

Edited by bluto

Sadly, nothing new on the programme.

I enjoyed the experts uneasily pointing out that there WERE 3 definite live large animals (unidentified) recorded during the 'sonar trawl' and that the film of animate, self-propelled moving objects MAY have been seals.

No road alongside it till the 1930s - yet the show's 'demolition' expert blamed the sudden spike on sightings at this time on... Horror movies!

You need to go 50 miles out into the Atlantic to get water as deep as that in the loch; it's over 25 miles long; 2 miles at its widest; not only can you fit ALL OF the Lake District's lakes easily within Loch Ness but ALL of England's fresh water; its sides are just off vertical and riven with depressions, cracks and caves...

It's a hell of an environment that's barely been explored.

I've sailed up and down it, camped beside it, I drive along it....

I am NOT a sceptic. smile.png

Lol. .

Nice data about the loch. .

I visited the visitor centre at Drumnadrochit a few years ago and got the distinct impression that they wanted us to think that , there might be something there. I know the legend goes way back but is it possible that , there is a unique species in a wee , erm , rather large Scottish Loch. .

The most convincing thing I ever saw was some guy fae the clergy saying that he saw something , he seemed quite a genuine guy. .

I reckon the mystery will drift on , way beyond our lifetimes. .

Lol. .

Nice data about the loch. .

I visited the visitor centre at Drumnadrochit a few years ago and got the distinct impression that they wanted us to think that , there might be something there. I know the legend goes way back but is it possible that , there is a unique species in a wee , erm , rather large Scottish Loch?

A recent theory that I like that helps refute the reasonable "lack of dead bodies" theory and the "why do we not often find them on sonar/radar" theory...

It is a species that are like squid, octopi or snails.... Thus having no vertebrae and a body mass that would disintegrate in the 200 feet of silt (more nice data) along the bottom.

Also...they have underwater cameras BUT there is little or no visibility beyond about three metres underwater, as the millennia of peat particles pouring off the hills doesn't spill over the rim, down the river and canal into the North Sea.

I have data.

I can believe. :)

I hope this helps?

ETA: if they WERE snail-like.... This would also help explain the variety of descriptions... Long neck, undulating, multiple humps, ability to travel on land, no 'feet' prints found.... Good 'semi-data', eh?

Edited by bluto

I can relay a story of one sighting that I find credible. Maybe not proof of a plesiosaur but possibly something. In the late 70's I was at a wedding reception in yon place up The Braes that used to have a curling rink. Can't remember its name. i didn't think I'd know anyone but to my delight an uncle of the bride turned out to be a guy who had been all through Camphill with me. He was from a big extended family and as part of the holiday quite a few of the family had a long weekend on the shores of Loch Ness. Seems it was one of those rare days when the sun shone and it was almost Mediterranean. Sandy's family (that was my classmate's name; somebody else out there knows him) along with plenty others were sunbathing on the shore and quite a lot were swimming which in Loch Ness usually means you would lose your tackle. Apparently a shout went up that someone was in trouble and a boat had capsized a good few hundred yards off-shore and everyone started panicking and generally running around wondering what the hell to do. Luckily someone had a speedboat which he quickly got going and headed out to the disturbance in the water. Everyone watching from the shore and more so the guys on the speedboat were then stunned when something kind of stretched out of the water for a good ten to fifteen feet and then suddenly disappeared under the surface. The description of what they saw, especially the guys in the boat, appears to match the kind of plesiosaur neck that has been debunked in the past as it was again last night.

I know it all sounds improbable but a whole group at that wedding confirmed they had seen it. What kind of led me to give some credence to the story was the fact that there hadn't been a general shout of 'Look! There's the monster!' Everyone though some poor bugger was in danger of drowning. Why that story wasn't in the press so far as I know, strikes me as a mystery. Maybe it wasn't a no-news day so yet another monster sighting didn't make it.

We'll just have to drain the loch. If we all head up with some buckets and a pile of empty milk bottles it will only take a couple of days.

There was a programme on Discovery the other day showing monuments in Cambodia carved in the 13th centuary where humans are beside known dinosaurs that were supposed to have been wiped out even before man was on earth. There is also similar carvings in South America. On the same programme was fossil photo of dinasour foot prints with human foot prints along side them.

You need to go 50 miles out into the Atlantic to get water as deep as that in the loch; it's over 25 miles long; 2 miles at its widest; not only can you fit ALL OF the Lake District's lakes easily within Loch Ness but ALL of England's fresh water; its sides are just off vertical and riven with depressions, cracks and caves...

There's only one "lake" in the Lake District.

Amazing factoid that (though I mentioned how far you need to go into the Atlantic get such depth) I realise I omitted the actual data:

The loch is 700-900 feet deep, generally. (The bottom 200 of that fine silt, I mentioned above.)

IOBS...? Fossil footprints of dinosaur and humans, but surely no a fossilised fotie?! :wink:

Edited by bluto

A recent theory that I like that helps refute the reasonable "lack of dead bodies" theory and the "why do we not often find them on sonar/radar" theory...

It is a species that are like squid, octopi or snails.... Thus having no vertebrae and a body mass that would disintegrate in the 200 feet of silt (more nice data) along the bottom.

Also...they have underwater cameras BUT there is little or no visibility beyond about three metres underwater, as the millennia of peat particles pouring off the hills doesn't spill over the rim, down the river and canal into the North Sea.

I have data.

I can believe. smile.png

I hope this helps?

ETA: if they WERE snail-like.... This would also help explain the variety of descriptions... Long neck, undulating, multiple humps, ability to travel on land, no 'feet' prints found.... Good 'semi-data', eh?

Mair interesting data , bluto. .

Probably one reason that the legend has survived til now from the dark depths of antiquity , is that no one has been able to disprove it . We have all seen some dodgy footage over the years (that's even before we get to footage about Nessie) but there are also the genuine sounding testimonies. .

The first testimony I heard of this lifetime was this one: Name: Alec Muir

Date: 1930's

Description: Large beast crossed road in front of car

It was partly dramatized on a kids programme when I was a youngster , er , a wee while ago. I believe the guy claimed it had 4 limbs and it certainly put me off a day trip to Sneck for a couple of years. .lol.gif

Mair interesting data , bluto. .

Probably one reason that the legend has survived til now from the dark depths of antiquity , is that no one has been able to disprove it . We have all seen some dodgy footage over the years (that's even before we get to footage about Nessie) but there are also the genuine sounding testimonies. .

The first testimony I heard of this lifetime was this one: Name: Alec Muir

Date: 1930's

Description: Large beast crossed road in front of car

It was partly dramatized on a kids programme when I was a youngster , er , a wee while ago. I believe the guy claimed it had 4 limbs and it certainly put me off a day trip to Sneck for a couple of years. .lol.gif

Ye're quite right about the dodgy footage. There are false foties and concocted fillums - all jumping on the bandwagon of instant fame, notoriety or even just to turn a few bawbees, but they still cannot detract from the hordes of sightings, the historic longevity of the beasties and so many good, reliable, apparently honest people admitting to having seen or experienced something that made them think twice.

And what helps ease any concerns that I may have, are so many regular acceptances (by the best qualified and equipped people around) that there have been sightings of 'large animate objects propelled under their own power 'that cannot be explained away.

Ye're quite right about the dodgy footage. There are false foties and concocted fillums - all jumping on the bandwagon of instant fame, notoriety or even just to turn a few bawbees, but they still cannot detract from the hordes of sightings, the historic longevity of the beasties and so many good, reliable, apparently honest people admitting to having seen or experienced something that made them think twice.

And what helps ease any concerns that I may have, are so many regular acceptances (by the best qualified and equipped people around) that there have been sightings of 'large animate objects propelled under their own power 'that cannot be explained away.

With the fact that most people are now carrying a camera (on their bloody smert phones) , one would reckon that it wouldn't be too long until someone gets a reliable holiday snap of said creature. .

I certainly wouldn't be tempted onto the Loch on a small craft based on what has been said above as , there is undoubtedly something going on in that there watter that offers a danger of capsizing if maybe not getting scared to death. .whistling.gif

anything big in loch ness is probably a sturgEon that has come in from the sea,loch ness does not have enough food for a monster to survive.

but dont tell the tourists that.

Maybe she'll shed a few pounds now she has to do some work as the Leaderette.? :whistle:

Where d'ye get the daft idea that HUGE body of water does not provide enough food?! :lol:

Do all the fish and other wildlife (and plants) that live and die in there, go directly up to the big heaven in the sky, not passing go or even dropping to the bottom?

Ye're right in one way, of course. A monster wouldn't survive the centuries this has been known. There has to be a thriving family of beasties, generation after generation, all shapes and sizes.

Edited by bluto

Had there been alcohol served at this wedding by any chance?

Bloody sure there was and Sandy and I got pissed. Hadn't seen him for fifteen years. A dry wedding? What's that?

In the programme the other night I thought there were some really poor arguments put up. The bit about parents even back in the 6th.and 7th.century telling their kids that there were monsters in yon there loch just to frighten them away from the water. Even if that was true, why is it virtually only at Loch Ness that sightings keep going on? And King Bloody Kong? Because the movie was sensational at the time Scotsmen made up sightings of Nessie? And then they dragged up Behemoth the sea monster. I saw that movie in The Auld High Street. A right load of shit.

I remain a bit sceptical but that doesn't mean I'm sitting on the fence.

Well seen these dafties that believe in the Loch Ness monster are the same ones that took in all the Unionist propaganda before the referendum.

Next they'll be claiming Tommy Craig has a plan to turn things around.

If you're a true Scot Nat you would be better perpetuating the myth for pecuniary reasons at least. But then you Nats have a proclivity for swallowing pie in the sky only when it suits the other Scottish myth.