Partick Thistle V St Mirren. Spfl Premiership 30.1.15

shull

The entire defence were solid tonight and humped the ball to fcuk as and when necessary. All round good stuff from the backline.

Exactly the manager asked Cheesy to play to his strengths and not to try and pass it about at the back. The ball was booted up the park or out the park and we regrouped.

It was hard but never a red card. Osbourne is fragile we all know that !

Never a red in my view either, but the one he went in with a chest high boot was surely worth a yellow? To be fair though he put in a right good shift for them. A spiky, borderline dirty one, but so was Alex Neil against us at home, where he single-handedly roughed up both McLean and McGinn.

The kind of thing we need from Osbourne and Goodwin IMHO. To allow McLean, Mallan and McGinn to play fitba'.

Great result and effort from the team - especially Cheesy and Goody.

Now that we have given ourselves the chance of avoiding relegation, it is important that the fans play their part in encouraging the team at home matches. This would mean for instance giving John McGinn the room to shake off his current run of bad form. He is no different from any other player who goes through a bad patch. He is too good a player to succumb to lack of confidence but he is still just a young lad. So our encouragement is essential to him and the other up and coming players emerging from the development team when they hit that inevitable run of bad form.

When this squad produce what they are capable of, we will be competing in the top half of the league next season and will be playing with style, unlike tonight.

Scrappy game but do we give a f**k ?

It has been said many times already but Cheesy & Goodwin were superb. The tackle by cheesy in the first half could be used to coach young players how to do a sliding tackle ! clap2.gif

Thought Osbourne was a big miss when he went off .

Young McGinn looks like he could do with a wee spell on the bench .

Great result , onwards & upwards ......... hopefully !!

New Cheesy song required?

His name is Cheesy,

He played dead good,

We won the game,

I knew we would*

* naw I didnae'. I thought we'd go one up, get beat, do something deranged, and have a man sent off... You two-faced ginger fud.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/30/rod-mckuen-dies-aged-84-poet-songwriter

Here is a phrase I have not muttered too often 'Cheesy was excellent!'! A good fighting performance from everyone even though we did not play very well. Special applause must however go to the defence - first clean sheet since May - 31 games ago!

When I played (a long time ago) my manager then used to scream 'clear your lines' about 1,000 times a game. And for the first time in years tonight I though that is what we did. Hoof the ball out for throw-ins. Hoof it up the park. Don't get caught in possession - just get it tae .... No more of defenders trying to take on forwards or the slow passing about at the back. For once we defended properly!

Well done everyone and the away support tonight was brilliant :)

Great result and effort from the team - especially Cheesy and Goody.

Now that we have given ourselves the chance of avoiding relegation, it is important that the fans play their part in encouraging the team at home matches. This would mean for instance giving John McGinn the room to shake off his current run of bad form. He is no different from any other player who goes through a bad patch. He is too good a player to succumb to lack of confidence but he is still just a young lad. So our encouragement is essential to him and the other up and coming players emerging from the development team when they hit that inevitable run of bad form.

When this squad produce what they are capable of, we will be competing in the top half of the league next season and will be playing with style, unlike tonight.

very well said.

Guy next to me was giving McGinn pelters throughout the match.

Not one thing came off for the lad.

Simple things were made to look difficult...

But he never hid, never shirked a tackle, never stopped trying and never stopped looking for the ball.

He had a howler, but I'd take McGinn in his worst form in a starting jersey over a myriad of recent year posing imposters!!!

Let's support him through this!

Remember when McLean's form dipped? The abuse he took!

People questioning his effort!

This will happen with young players and this is truly where we, as SUPPORTERS can really make a difference.

very well said.

Guy next to me was giving McGinn pelters throughout the match.

Not one thing came off for the lad.

Simple things were made to look difficult...

But he never hid, never shirked a tackle, never stopped trying and never stopped looking for the ball.

He had a howler, but I'd take McGinn in his worst form in a starting jersey over a myriad of recent year posing imposters!!!

Let's support him through this!

Remember when McLean's form dipped? The abuse he took!

People questioning his effort!

This will happen with young players and this is truly where we, as SUPPORTERS can really make a difference.

Every cloud has a silver lining, we all know that McGinn is a real talent and as they say form is temporary but class is permanent. He will regain his form, however if his poor form continues then perhaps he will sign for us next season as others might not come in for him.

I'm actually starting to look forward to this one.

Giving two Thistle fan friends a lift through... so the banter on the way back will be interesting! !!

I'm sure ye enjoyed the hurl.... :)

Cost us goals at home to Aberdeen and Dundee U , and his distribution , both from hand and foot , is shocking ! His efforts at kicking are probably the worst I've ever seen from any St Mirren goalkeeper , including Gordon Knowles and Barney Duffy ! happy.png

So ye never saw Chris Smith?!

Ridgers is unusual but ok for me.

Tremendous backs to the wall performance. Was like a black and white wall on the edge of the box at times. Goody and cheesy returning everything from whence it came.

They were in their element with no space in behind them and not being asked to play out the ball.

However...we cannot play like that every week, and it's when we push up the field and attack they struggle.

Ridgers was terrible tonight. Goody and cheesy were just that good. Judging by Longwell's reaction to 1 particular flap at a cross I wouldn't be surprised if Kello returned.

McGinn needs a wee spell on the bench just to rediscover his form. I doubt we have the squad to do that though.

McGinn needs a wee spell on the bench just to rediscover his form. I doubt we have the squad to do that though.

We have 2 weeks without a league game, so get him through the transfer window and let the staff work on him in training and the NYC game and he will be raring to go against ICT. We cannot afford not to have him in the line up and play Reilly instead especially if Osbourne is crocked again.

We have 2 weeks without a league game, so get him through the transfer window and let the staff work on him in training and the NYC game and he will be raring to go against ICT. We cannot afford not to have him in the line up and play Reilly instead especially if Osbourne is crocked again.

I remember a period when a rather raw striker called Mehmet was getting pelters from our fans... saying it would be best for him if he was "rested". Eventually, Gus gave in (for the first and last time) and dropped him.

McPherson later lamented that he had given in to popular opinion, but he had seen first hand what the "rest" had done to Mehmet's confidence.

This is a situation where we must trust Teale and he must be a "manager" rather than a coach.

If he feels John will benefit more from support to play through the rut then that is good enough for me.

If he feels a rest is more beneficial, again, he has my support.

In either case, McGinn is one of the finest talents we have produced in years; has the right attitude; and WILL come back with a vengeance!

I remember a period when a rather raw striker called Mehmet was getting pelters from our fans... saying it would be best for him if he was "rested". Eventually, Gus gave in (for the first and last time) and dropped him.

McPherson later lamented that he had given in to popular opinion, but he had seen first hand what the "rest" had done to Mehmet's confidence.

This is a situation where we must trust Teale and he must be a "manager" rather than a coach.

If he feels John will benefit more from support to play through the rut then that is good enough for me.

In either case, McGinn is one of the finest talents we have produced in years; has the right attitude; and WILL come back with a vengeance!

I agree.

Although John hasn't fulfilled his potential for parts of this season, he has special qualities which allow him to play a specific role in our team, and I don't think we've got a better replacement.

Edited by FTOF

That is all fine. .

Oh aye , and bring back Billy. .wink.png

You know it makes sense. .