Motherwell V St Mirren Saturday 20Th December - The Big One

murray street

Just back in after witnessing another hard luck story and would make 3 comments:-

• Thompson made a reckless tackle but I thought it should only have been a yellow card
  • I was in a good position for the goal-line controversy - most fans including myself thought the ball was over the line - hopefully TV replays will confirm this
  • We should also have had a stone-wall penalty - the defender tackled through our man from behind to win the ball

However we are now adrift by 6 points from Motherwell and realistically we should be looking to get second bottom and then win the play-off against a poor Rangers team.

Looked like studs up on the knee to me.

I may be wrong but, from where I was sitting, it looked like the Murderwell player went in two footed with studs showing. As for the rest.

The officials, for me, did fine. Except for:

Sending Thommo off.

Missing the No. 15's many other misdemeanours.

Missing the ball crossing the line.

Missing the penalty.

Missing the foul on McLean before they scored.

Ignoring a multitude of fouls by the Murderwell and letting them waste time.

I'm sure I saw the ref getting on his bus home. It seemed to be draped in some strange maroon and yellow design.

I'm really proud to be a buddie tonight. Not one player took anything off that park today. If there was justice we would have won that game.

Edited to add. The young lad McLeary? looks a real prospect. Get him locked in.

Edited by stlucifer

If we go down lets go down that way.

10 heros for St Mirren

Gary Teale's black and white army

PS SFA wank wank wank

Just got home. Didn't see the red card but that ball certainly looked over the line from where I was sitting.

Played better than previous weeks but still lost at home against a pish team without scoring a goal (that counted).

10 heroes? Don't think so, but heartened by the performance.

Ok we`ll have to wait for the highlights but from where i was sitting (south stand) heres my take on today

Thommos Red could easily have been yellow to the Well player for a lunge from behind.

The ball was defo over the line

McLeans penalty was in the "seen them given " category

West stand linesman giving offside when a well player heads back to his keeper & plays Mclean in !!

Chopped off goal . Difficult to say , looked offside.

Why was Lasley not booked for judo throw on Mcginn ?

Ref : the well No2 was ripping the piss out of you with his time wasting .

Osborne looked f**ked !

Positives .

The players looked well up for it

Mclean should have an extra day off, what a shift he put in today (pity bout his free kick)

The two young boys looked decent & seemed to click with the guys.

The atmosphere was 100% better

When was the last time the team were clapped off thepark ? never mind after a defeat !

Good to hear the team showed a bit of spirit today but in the cold light of day:

- a defeat at home to the worst Well side in a generation

- fail to score yet again

- only striker worthy of the name now suspended

- still no clean sheet all season

Bah humbug.

Butter it up all you want, we still got beat of a horrendous Motherwell team, not good enough.

C`mon JJ , green shoots & all that !! Dont be a total Bah humbug misery guts !!

Give the guys a bit of credit, 75 mins against 10 men , even Cheesy done alright.

Merry Christmas scrooge ! thumbup2.gif

Obviously not see tv but of the 3 controversial decisions I'm pretty sure (gut reaction) all 3 were wrong. Never a red , 100% a goal and pretty sure Tess was onside. Cannot be too down on anyone given the circumstances but a defeat leaves us in bad position.

It was never a red and I think it should have been a free kick to us, Thommo was almost on the ball when the Well player lunged in late from the back, just because he came away worse doesn't mean he didn't commit a foul.

McLean's header, I'm sure I saw the top of the net bulge.

Tess was definitely onside when the ball was played forward.

A trip inside the box is a penalty, it might have been a soft one but it's still a penalty

Kenny McLean was superb today.

Excellent effort from ten men.

The two kids showed more in 90 mins than Reilly has shown in his entire career in a St Mirren shirt.

Didn't see the Thommo or ball over the line incidents too well, so can't comment.

Hope the referee and West Stand linesman have a cnut of a Christmas.

That's all I have to offer.

The two kids showed more in 90 mins than Reilly has shown in his entire career in a St Mirren shirt.

Didn't see the Thommo or ball over the line incidents too well, so can't comment.

Reilly should be punted out on loan, offers nothing aside from a set of kit to wash.

Reilly is an embarrassment, would be better with a card board cut out.

Reilly hasn't had the best season so far. But who has? Add in to that the fact that he hasn't played a single minute in his natural position and I think it's hard to criticise him too harshly. He has potential, maybe with some support he could flourish? Something to think about...

Reilly hasn't had the best season so far. But who has? Add in to that the fact that he hasn't played a single minute in his natural position and I think it's hard to criticise him too harshly. He has potential, maybe with some support he could flourish? Something to think about...

Not for me I'm afraid. I'm not one for hammering our players, but even at the half time warm up, Reilly was standing yakking to someone he knew in the opposition substitutes.

In my mind, I have six names I want punted out of our squad, to free up wages. He's unfortunately one of them. I don't even know where his best position is FFS.

Sorry Bud77 I agree with everything else but I was right in line and Tess was offside.

Before today I thought we were doomed to finish bottom. A lot will depend on what the bottom 3 clubs do in the transfer window but on today's evidence there is every chance that we could catch this Motherwell side as well as Ross County.

Got to mention Kemny McLean. What a shift he put in. Along with the rest of the team he didn't desrve to be on the losing side.

Agree with most of this. I thought McLean was excellent even if he did look extremely uncomfortable playing up front on his own. I thought McLear looked very capable down the right. Mallan was a bit quieter but neither looked out of place today. Thompson had to walk for his tackle. The Motherwell defender attacked the ball and won it and Thompson caught him high and late. Uncharacteristic perhaps, and perhaps a more charitable ref would have given him a yellow card - especially so early in the game - but straight red was the correct decision. It was a dangerous challenge.

Can't comment on St Mirren's best effort on goal. I was in the main stand to the right of the dug out area's. Far too far away to make any sort of sound judgement on it. The reaction of the players around it suggest the ball may well have been over the line though. Motherwell defenders appeared to be stationary while the goalkeeper was the only one who looked active. Several St Mirren players had turned around to celebrate. Cowan and Cosgrove said on the radio after the game that TV pictures are inconclusive.

The Motherwell goal came about because of a mistake by John McGinn. He'd done really well most of the second half down the left hand side reading a lot of the play despite seemingly not having the best positional sense. There were one or two people around me who kept shouting on him to get him to go tighter on his man. On this instance I reckon he'd switched off.

Other than that I thought it was actually a god awful game of football. Motherwell looked insipid, inept and poor while St Mirren, for all the huffing and blowing, had absolutely no cutting edge.

Didn't deserve to lose that today, but so it goes.

Kenny McLean was outstanding. He is a class act.

Tess' finish was sublime and deserved to be a goal - looked a marginal decision.

The ball definitely looked over the line for the other 'goal'.

Best I have seen from Saints this season. Gutsy and spirited, and the players gave their all. McLear looks the part and Mallan has great deliveries in his locker. If we go down, we should fight until the end, and on that showing, the players are up for it.

Oh, and the referee was a c**t!

Edited by Drew

Restored my faith today - we were unlucky as f#ck and basically outplayed them with ten men !

McLean was outstanding today but every one of them put in a shift today and that's what's been missing. Applauded off the park at FT and fully deserved ....... who would have thought that given we haven't won a home game all season. If you weren't there today don't worry about the result the Saints are back and based on today we will stay up no probs !

COYS !!

Restored my faith today - we were unlucky as f#ck and basically outplayed them with ten men !

McLean was outstanding today but every one of them put in a shift today and that's what's been missing. Applauded off the park at FT and fully deserved ....... who would have thought that given we haven't won a home game all season. If you weren't there today don't worry about the result the Saints are back and based on today we will stay up no probs !

COYS !!

A bit like the last time the 2 teams met (albeit we only played with 10 men for 20 mins).

But we can all remember hows things went after that game.... just saying like...

Jonathan Sutherland has put a comment on Twitter saying he's watched the McLean header several times and his opinion is it didn't go over the line. The force of the header hitting the bar shook the net, the TV coverage will not support the goal claim, in his opinion. He also thinks the sending off was wrong, there is contact but yellow card offence.

Wouldn't be surprised if we never found out if the ball was definitely over the line because the BBC coverage is so one dimensional that they're view would've been from the middle of the west stand with no other cameras there!

That`s what I said to Mrs. Mcd54 at the time! mad.gif