Motherwell V St Mirren Saturday 20Th December - The Big One

murray street

Coverage is not the best but around 20 seconds into the video and it's clear that Motherwell were denied a penalty when Osbourne barges a Motherwell player to the ground.

The Thomspon sending off also looks pretty clear. He's gone in with his studs up and it looks more brutal from the TV pictures than I saw watching from the other side yesterday - a clear sending off though. Referee is 100% correct.

McLeans header - I couldn't call it yesterday. From these pictures though it looks like the ball strikes the underside of the bar, off the ground and back up to hit the underside of the bar again. Unfortunate, but it looks like the officials got that one right. It would have been nice to have had a better angle with the camera's but this is Scottish Football and the TV companies don't appear to have the budget for a second camera at pish under card games

Motherwell goal, its clear McGinn was caught sleeping which was what I said last night. McAusland also fails to cover Sutton in the centre though, his man, and yet another goal where he's at least partly culpable.

There's no coverage that I can see of any supposed penalty claim for St Mirren and no coverage of the offside goal.

laugh.png

What are your thoughts on the Tesselaar OS decision?

Coverage is not the best but around 20 seconds into the video and it's clear that Motherwell were denied a penalty when Osbourne barges a Motherwell player to the ground.

The Thomspon sending off also looks pretty clear. He's gone in with his studs up and it looks more brutal from the TV pictures than I saw watching from the other side yesterday - a clear sending off though. Referee is 100% correct.

McLeans header - I couldn't call it yesterday. From these pictures though it looks like the ball strikes the underside of the bar, off the ground and back up to hit the underside of the bar again. Unfortunate, but it looks like the officials got that one right. It would have been nice to have had a better angle with the camera's but this is Scottish Football and the TV companies don't appear to have the budget for a second camera at pish under card games

Motherwell goal, its clear McGinn was caught sleeping which was what I said last night. McAusland also fails to cover Sutton in the centre though, his man, and yet another goal where he's at least partly culpable.

There's no coverage that I can see of any supposed penalty claim for St Mirren and no coverage of the offside goal.

Stu in impartially viewing all the evidence and finding against St Mirren on every front shocker.

Agree with most of this. I thought McLean was excellent even if he did look extremely uncomfortable playing up front on his own. I thought McLear looked very capable down the right. Mallan was a bit quieter but neither looked out of place today. Thompson had to walk for his tackle. The Motherwell defender attacked the ball and won it and Thompson caught him high and late. Uncharacteristic perhaps, and perhaps a more charitable ref would have given him a yellow card - especially so early in the game - but straight red was the correct decision. It was a dangerous challenge.

Can't comment on St Mirren's best effort on goal. I was in the main stand to the right of the dug out area's. Far too far away to make any sort of sound judgement on it. The reaction of the players around it suggest the ball may well have been over the line though. Motherwell defenders appeared to be stationary while the goalkeeper was the only one who looked active. Several St Mirren players had turned around to celebrate. Cowan and Cosgrove said on the radio after the game that TV pictures are inconclusive.

The Motherwell goal came about because of a mistake by John McGinn. He'd done really well most of the second half down the left hand side reading a lot of the play despite seemingly not having the best positional sense. There were one or two people around me who kept shouting on him to get him to go tighter on his man. On this instance I reckon he'd switched off.

Other than that I thought it was actually a god awful game of football. Motherwell looked insipid, inept and poor while St Mirren, for all the huffing and blowing, had absolutely no cutting edge.

Actually - this was my post from yesterday Windae Cleaner - you're completely wrong

I was at the game but just seen the BBC highlights.

1. Thommo extremely unlucky to have been sent off the ref sprinted towards him to stop other players reacting but other players didn't react because they were surprised it was a red card. If the Motherwell player had been booked for his first two footed tackle then he wouldn't have made the second tackle.

2. The ghost goal I can see why it wasn't given.

3. The offside goal was never offside.

4. The penalty I can see why it wasn't given.

The thing is you win some and you lose some. All the major decisions went against us. Every single one of them. Looks like it ain't our season.

Sorry Bud77 I agree with everything else but I was right in line and Tess was offside.

Before today I thought we were doomed to finish bottom. A lot will depend on what the bottom 3 clubs do in the transfer window but on today's evidence there is every chance that we could catch this Motherwell side as well as Ross County.

Got to mention Kemny McLean. What a shift he put in. Along with the rest of the team he didn't desrve to be on the losing side.

I apologize to Stuart Dickson here

Unfortunately the TV pictures don't help with regards to the 'non goal'.

However I sit in W1 in line with about the 6 yard line and it wasn't even a hard decision to make...the ball was clearly over the line. The linesman had ages to see it too, it's not as if it was being blootered away in a flash. He was behind the play all the game, but even when on line couldn't get it right.

The reaction from both sets of players near the play told the story. Even Lasley said as much tonight on Sportscene.

The lino Looked uncomfortable being out there from the off, even the ref overruled one of his subsequent offside decision's... Which again wasn't a difficult one to make.

Never a pen tho... At least he got that right.

Unfortunately the TV pictures don't help with regards to the 'non goal'.

However I sit in W1 in line with about the 6 yard line and it wasn't even a hard decision to make...the ball was clearly over the line. The linesman had ages to see it too, it's not as if it was being blootered away in a flash. He was behind the play all the game, but even when on line couldn't get it right.

The reaction from both sets of players near the play told the story. Even Lasley said as much tonight on Sportscene.

The lino Looked uncomfortable being out there from the off, even the ref overruled one of his subsequent offside decision's... Which again wasn't a difficult one to make.

Never a pen tho... At least he got that right.

You know, you say that but if you watch the highlights again the two players closest to the ball actually do play on. The goalkeeper and his centre half both reacted to get the ball clear.

The Alba commentator believed it was only a yellow card.....until Thommo had walked across the line and was on his way up the tunnel!

I still believe it was only a yellow offence....

I dinnae ken what any of the Alba commentators believe .........whistling.gif

You know, you say that but if you watch the highlights again the two players closest to the ball actually do play on. The goalkeeper and his centre half both reacted to get the ball clear.

Of course the players who are directly closes to the ball will try to clear it... That goes without saying. However much in the same way that barely any st mirren player claimed for the McLean pen (including the player himself) you can tell a lot usually by players' reactions on these sort of things.

This is all secondary evidence for me however. I clearly saw the ball a good distance beyond the line with my own eyes (having a far better vantage point than any of the cameras or players for that matter).

This was only my second game of the season and I think conclusive proof that we are heading for demotion. Motherwell were very poor yet were always going to win this game, as the loss of any goal means certain defeat for this team.There are a few stand out players who are well short of this standard of football from what I could see. It would be too cruel to name them but most of the defence are included.Only McLean and the debutant looked any good, the rest will find their level next season I`m afraid.

As for the new manager, should those in charge ever get round to the business in hand (and even so their track record in this is appalling)I believe its far too late barring a miracle. This team has nothing up front, the worst defence in the country and a distinct lack of leadership and fight.

I shall be keeping my £20 to spend on entertainment from now on, not wasting it on this drivel.

This was only my second game of the season...

I shall be keeping my £20 to spend on entertainment from now on, not wasting it on this drivel.

Sounds like you were doing that anyway.

Can you just add "I won't be attending again" or something similar to your signature? It'd save you coming on here every week to tell us.

Of course the players who are directly closes to the ball will try to clear it... That goes without saying. However much in the same way that barely any st mirren player claimed for the McLean pen (including the player himself) you can tell a lot usually by players' reactions on these sort of things.

This is all secondary evidence for me however. I clearly saw the ball a good distance beyond the line with my own eyes (having a far better vantage point than any of the cameras or players for that matter).

We sit behind the goal, and could clearly see that the ball crossed the line. No goal-line technology required.

We sit behind the goal, and could clearly see that the ball crossed the line. No goal-line technology required.

Hmm, well from the Main stand , seated at south end at the press area, oh the irony, you could see it was a 'goal' , it was celebrated as it was a goal , Motherwell players agree it looked like a goal. There was a fair bit of hedging from the press hacks once , and only after they realised a goal had not been given. Most of the folk in the ground expected it as a goal.......but, erm, when you are in the shitter, invariably not too much good happens. shutup.gif