Us City Break Options

Drew

Next summer marks a special birthday for my wife and I've been putting a few bob aside for a couple of years to take her on a US city break. This would be the first time either of us had visited the States.

My wife has made reference to New York as a destination she'd like to chalk off some day, but also recently said likewise regarding San Francisco (which would be my preference but it isn't about me).

So, I've narrowed it down to either New York or San Francisco.

I was wondering if anyone can advise which, in their view, might be the better option and why, or simply what the respective merits are of each city.

One thing I woud mention is that shopping IS NOT one of my wife's interests (woohoo!), so that doesn't come into the equation.

I probably couldn't stretch further than a 4 or 5 night stay.

Ta much

Drew

With only 4 or 5 days, I would personally choice NY to cut down on travelling time. Something my wife and myself intend doing within the next couple of years.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers - do you know the difference in flight times? As you say, flying time eats into a relatively short stay.

The wife and I went to San francisco last year and stayed in hotel near the fishermans wharf.Excellent good pubs and food and stacks to do as far as sightseeing is concerned. We stayed for 5 days and we found that was ample time( do not miss going to Alcatraz)

Sounds good. What time of the year did you go? I'm reading the weather isn't always great from June to August - fog etc.

Both very different cities obviously, San Fran would be my personal preference if I could only go back to one. Although NY is definitely one of those places everyone's got to see.

The West Coast is just much more... Relaxed. Much more cultural in my opinion, and the weather is better. NYC can get very humid and unpleasant in the summer, whereas San Fran always has that Pacific breeze to cool everyone and everything down.

You'll have a great time in either one though, and you certainly won't be short of things to do in either if you have less than a week.

Both very different cities obviously, San Fran would be my personal preference if I could only go back to one. Although NY is definitely one of those places everyone's got to see.

The West Coast is just much more... Relaxed. Much more cultural in my opinion, and the weather is better. NYC can get very humid and unpleasant in the summer, whereas San Fran always has that Pacific breeze to cool everyone and everything down.

You'll have a great time in either one though, and you certainly won't be short of things to do in either if you have less than a week.

Thanks.

The way you've summed up the cities seems to chime with what I'm picking up. I 'm yet to speak to anyone who has spent time in San Fran and didn't rave about it. New York seems epic in every sense, and I'm worried that it might be a bit overwhelming. We tend to opt for the more laid back options, and I'm worried that if we go to NY we might spend the entire time worrying about not doing enough and missing things. In saying that, it looks mental in an exciting way and, as you say, is probably one that should be chalked off.

Edited by Drew

Been to the USA for over twenty years now. First place we visited was San Francisco. Haven't been back. Loved it, but found it to be in the 'been there done that' category.

Purely subjective I know, but we have been to New York three times, and could go back, and back, and back.... Like London, Paris, Rome... So many world famous sights and landmarks.

Central Park, 5th Avenue, Times Sq, Chrysler Building, Ground Zero, Madison Sq Garden, Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State... On and on.

I would definitely recommend NYC for a 'special trip'. Can certainly offer a few tips if you want....

Views from the Empire State are great, but avoid the crowds and go to the viewing platform on the Rockefeller Centre - you get an even better view downtown and get great views of the Empire State Building itself.

Don't miss the Red Flame Diner, West 44th St for a genuine NY breakfast deli experience.

The Staten Island Ferry is free - get great views of the Statue of Liberty as you puff past having departed from Battery Park.Simply get off at the Staten Island end and turn around back onto the next ferry back. Tip - every tourist bolts up onto the upper deck to take photos. Don't do this. Walk on the ferry, go DOWN the stairs and turn back on yourself. You'll be on what used to be the car deck, no longer used. You will be at water level, and can get great photos as you pull away from dock. Hardly anyone goes down, everyone charges up the stairs.

For a fantastic Italian meal near Times Square, go to Carmine's. You can book a table online, and they take bookings a year in advance. You'll never get a table if you wait until you arrive in NYC. One lasagne would feed three people, unbelievable - the waiters will keep you right.

Virgils BBQ also near Times Sq is really good for burgers and BBQ pulled pork sarnies etc. Edit: Veggie weirdo. Oops! Forgot!

A handy tip I always use is if walking up towards Central Park you pass Trump Tower - can't miss it. Garish gold trim and marble... However, for a lavvy stop? Forget nipping into a Burger King or McDonalds. Into Trump Tower, down the stairs to your right, past the cafe and round into the gents for a very comfortable lavatory experience before hitting Central Park.

Just scratched the surface, can lend you guide books and offer more tips of required!

Edited by pozbaird

Been to the USA for over twenty years now. First place we visited was San Francisco. Haven't been back. Loved it, but found it to be in the 'been there done that' category.

Purely subjective I know, but we have been to New York three times, and could go back, and back, and back.... Like London, Paris, Rome... So many world famous sights and landmarks.

Central Park, 5th Avenue, Times Sq, Chrysler Building, Ground Zero, Madison Sq Garden, Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State... On and on.

I would definitely recommend NYC for a 'special trip'. Can certainly offer a few tips if you want....

Views from the Empire State are great, but avoid the crowds and go to the viewing platform on the Rockefeller Centre - you get an even better view downtown and get great views of the Empire State Building itself.

Don't miss the Red Flame Diner, West 44th St for a genuine NY breakfast deli experience.

The Staten Island Ferry is free - get great views of the Statue of Liberty as you puff past having departed from Battery Park.Simply get off at the Staten Island end and turn around back onto the next ferry back. Tip - every tourist bolts up onto the upper deck to take photos. Don't do this. Walk on the ferry, go DOWN the stairs and turn back on yourself. You'll be on what used to be the car deck, no longer used. You will be at water level, and can get great photos as you pull away from dock. Hardly anyone goes down, everyone charges up the stairs.

For a fantastic Italian meal near Times Square, go to Carmine's. You can book a table online, and they take bookings a year in advance. You'll never get a table if you wait until you arrive in NYC. One lasagne would feed three people, unbelievable - the waiters will keep you right.

Virgils BBQ also near Times Sq is really good for burgers and BBQ pulled pork sarnies etc. Edit: Veggie weirdo. Oops! Forgot!

A handy tip I always use is if walking up towards Central Park you pass Trump Tower - can't miss it. Garish gold trim and marble... However, for a lavvy stop? Forget nipping into a Burger King or McDonalds. Into Trump Tower, down the stairs to your right, past the cafe and round into the gents for a very comfortable lavatory experience before hitting Central Park.

Just scratched the surface, can lend you guide books and offer more tips of required!

Certainly sounds very tempting, ta much for the pointers.

Its a tough call, but New York might just win through on the basis of that being the destination Eileen has remarked on most often. If I'm being honest, something about San Fran appeals to me, but I need to ensure that this is all about her. Either way, its going to cost a right few quid so I want to ensure that we get as much out of the trip as possible without it being too much, so I might well take you up on your offer of further tips and and giudebooks if this is what I opt for in the end.

Certainly sounds very tempting, ta much for the pointers.

Its a tough call, but New York might just win through on the basis of that being the destination Eileen has remarked on most often. If I'm being honest, something about San Fran appeals to me, but I need to ensure that this is all about her. Either way, its going to cost a right few quid so I want to ensure that we get as much out of the trip as possible without it being too much, so I might well take you up on your offer of further tips and and giudebooks if this is what I opt for in the end.

SF was great, don't get me wrong - Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard Street, Cable Cars, Alcatraz, Chinatown, Transamerica Pyramid.... Lots to see and do.

I reckon you'd enjoy SF or NYC.

SF was great, don't get me wrong - Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard Street, Cable Cars, Alcatraz, Chinatown, Transamerica Pyramid.... Lots to see and do.

I reckon you'd enjoy SF or NYC.

Aye, just need to do both....before we shuffle off this mortal coil!thumbup2.gif

New York for me. It's a much more exciting city than SF, and everything is so easy to get to. Take a trip on the Staten Island ferry - you sail right past the Statue of Liberty. Last time I was there was in winter - it was bloody freezing but you can wrap up for that. There are plenty of options for a special celebration too. We went to the River Cafe by the bridge in Brooklyn - expensive, but the views back across the river were incredible. There's a great restaurant at the top of the Rockerfeller plaza. Plenty of nightlife too, if you can get the tickets.

Edited by saint in exile

New York for me. It's a much more exciting city than SF, and everything is so easy to get to. Take a trip on the Staten Island ferry - you sail right past the Statue of Liberty. Last time I was there was in winter - it was bloody freezing but you can wrap up for that. There are plenty of options for a special celebration too. We went to the River Cafe by the bridge in Brooklyn - expensive, but the views back across the river were incredible. There's a great restaurant at the top of the Rockerfeller plaza. Plenty of nightlife too, if you can get the tickets.

Cheers.

We'd most likely be going late May/early June.

Cheers - do you know the difference in flight times? As you say, flying time eats into a relatively short stay.

Sounds good. What time of the year did you go? I'm reading the weather isn't always great from June to August - fog etc.

Drew its not just the flying time its also the recovery time. Jet lag will not be as bad in NY.

NewYork is nice but I was surprised at how much I liked Washington! Perhaps because we met up with friends.

Drew its not just the flying time its also the recovery time. Jet lag will not be as bad in NY.

NewYork is nice but I was surprised at how much I liked Washington! Perhaps because we met up with friends.

We were in DC in September. It's a great city, with so much to see and do. Expensive, though, for food and a decent hotel. The museums and monuments are something else.

New York is about eight hours (although I was flying from France rather than Scotland), for San Francisco you're looking at about 11 or 12.

New York is a superb place to visit, would love to go back one day. The view from the Rockefeller Centre is one of the best I've ever seen - managed to time it so it was dusk. Far better than the view from the Empire State building because you can see Central Park - plus the view obviously includes the Empire State itself!

Loads of things to do, many obvious - Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park etc and plenty of places to visit. If you're planning to do lots of touristy things then one of these is a good investment, more than paid for itself with what we saved: http://www.newyorkpass.com/

If you're planning on going to a Broadway show there's a booth in Time Square (a mad place in itself) that sells discount tickets to just about every show each lunchtime. Didn't have to queue for too long either.

Also, the underground is pretty good for getting about places and it's also safe.

We were in DC in September. It's a great city, with so much to see and do. Expensive, though, for food and a decent hotel. The museums and monuments are something else.

I went in October with my brother, fantastic city. As you say the monuments and museums (nearly all free!) are incredible. And everyone remarked about the referendum, as if we weren't bloody aware it had taken place. Except one guy who asked about football (proper football, not that NFL nonsense), then realised we were Scottish, not Irish - and also that the Yanks had gubbed us in a friendly last year.

New York is about eight hours (although I was flying from France rather than Scotland), for San Francisco you're looking at about 11 or 12.

New York is a superb place to visit, would love to go back one day. The view from the Rockefeller Centre is one of the best I've ever seen - managed to time it so it was dusk. Far better than the view from the Empire State building because you can see Central Park - plus the view obviously includes the Empire State itself!

Loads of things to do, many obvious - Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park etc and plenty of places to visit. If you're planning to do lots of touristy things then one of these is a good investment, more than paid for itself with what we saved: http://www.newyorkpass.com/

If you're planning on going to a Broadway show there's a booth in Time Square (a mad place in itself) that sells discount tickets to just about every show each lunchtime. Didn't have to queue for too long either.

Also, the underground is pretty good for getting about places and it's also safe.

I went in October with my brother, fantastic city. As you say the monuments and museums (nearly all free!) are incredible. And everyone remarked about the referendum, as if we weren't bloody aware it had taken place. Except one guy who asked about football (proper football, not that NFL nonsense), then realised we were Scottish, not Irish - and also that the Yanks had gubbed us in a friendly last year.

Much appreciated, Stu. Yet again - loads of good info.

Many thanks to all for your tips and advice. Much appreciated.

New York about 7 hours flight direct from Glasgow and San Fran about 12-13 hours but not direct from Glasgow. I went on Aer Lingus via Dublin from Glasgow to both New York and California ( via Los Angeles), they do a direct Dublin to San Francisco flight now too. And it offers the distinct advantage of doing US Immigration clearance at Dublin, meaning you arrive in the US as a 'domestic' passenger, therefore avoiding what can be a 2-3 hour queue to clear immigration.

Personally I liked both coasts, but could spend forever going round California, San Fran was very cool, very laid back and very clement. New York is either freezing or hot, humid roasting. As far as jet-lag goes, it seems to be worse coming back.