Lorry Crash In George Square

Buffs

My daughter and her boyfriend were going iceskating this afternoon in the city centre. I felt physically sick when I tried to call her mobile and she didn't answer. She just called back though, and they are both okay. This is truly hellish, and I feel so much for those involved. Absolutely horrific.

Switched the TV to Sky News soon as I was aware of the unfolding events. The live Sky reporter was an utter disgrace. Naturally, the media want to grab eye-witnesses for an interview, but the Sky interviewer constantly asked those willing to speak about the bodies, what did you see, how horrific was it? Etc... One woman said not once, but twice, 'Oh I can't speak about that, it was awful, I can't say anything about that'. Cnut kept asking though.

Switched immediately to BBC news channel.

Shocking news. The Clutha Bar last festive season, now this tragic event. Thoughts go out immediately to those caught up in it, and their families.

Drew - Thank God you've made contact.

Thanks mate, my legs nearly went from under me when my daughter didn't answer her phone when I first called. In the meantime, her younger sister was becoming distressed here at home.

I can't imagine how those who have a loved one affected or haven't been able to make contact must be coping. Heartbreaking.

Switched the TV to Sky News soon as I was aware of the unfolding events. The live Sky reporter was an utter disgrace. Naturally, the media want to grab eye-witnesses for an interview, but the Sky interviewer constantly asked those willing to speak about the bodies, what did you see, how horrific was it? Etc... One woman said not once, but twice, 'Oh I can't speak about that, it was awful, I can't say anything about that'. Cnut kept asking though.

Switched immediately to BBC news channel.

Shocking news. The Clutha Bar last festive season, now this tragic event. Thoughts go out immediately to those caught up in it, and their families.

Reporter was James 'I hate Iceland' Matthews, also produced the St Mirren championship dvd in 2006, or should I say 'cashed in on the occasion' as he is not a St Mirren supporter either. Bit of a disgrace harassing that poor woman on TV today who was quite clearly still fathoming what she had seen. Also disgraceful to be reporting the number of fatalities before Police confirmation and therefore gaining time to contact the families of the dead and injured. Scumbag journalism at it's worse... but hey that's Planet Murdoch for you. Only last week he was celebrating what a scoop for his organisation the Sydney gun siege was.

Edited by FS

sky were giving it greater prominence than bbc 24, who seemed to think that northern ireland is a bigger story today

It was wallpaper coverage on the BBC news channel too, do you categorise these tragedies in terms of news coverage ?

Having witnessed the aftermath of a crash following the death of a driver at the wheel of a car many years ago I shudder to think of the scene today in Glasgow.

All I can offer is my thoughts and prayers for all those families of those lost and injured today. sad.png

Apparently the driver appears to be alive according to reports tonight which seems almost unbelievable.

They're speculating he was having a coronary or a seizure, witnesses saying he appeared to be sprawled over the wheel. Seemingly he was just turning right out of Ingram St at the time he took ill. The seizure theory would tally with what happened next in my experience.