Lorry Crash In George Square

Buffs

I know a few people over here who know the family. One of my daughter's pals was in Erin's class at school, and it seems her Mum was with her daughter and parents at the time. Heartbreaking.

Just been thinking about how something like that can just happen in a flash, a second, a tiny brief moment. You're just standing there doing Christmas shopping, and a second later, three members of the same family killed, plus the other poor people. If only you had done your Christmas shopping a day earlier....if only your train had been five minutes late....if only the lassie in Costa that morning had taken ten seconds less to make your coffee....if only you hadn't stopped at the cashline machine...

It could have been any of us. Any minute, any day, any time. FFS. When things like this and the Clutha happen so close to home, it really hits you.

Just been thinking about how something like that can just happen in a flash, a second, a tiny brief moment. You're just standing there doing Christmas shopping, and a second later, three members of the same family killed, plus the other poor people. If only you had done your Christmas shopping a day earlier....if only your train had been five minutes late....if only the lassie in Costa that morning had taken ten seconds less to make your coffee....if only you hadn't stopped at the cashline machine...

It could have been any of us. Any minute, any day, any time. FFS. When things like this and the Clutha happen so close to home, it really hits you.

Absolutely.

My wife dropped my daughter and her boyfriend (my daughter's, not my wife's....) off at the train station in Dumbarton to head to Queen St on Monday at about 1.30pm. They were debating in the car whether they'd make a certain train and when they were getting out my daughter's boyfriend suggested they run to catch it - they just got on it. Had they missed it, they would have got the next train about 15 minutes later. It arrived in Queen Street at about 2.30pm.

There isn't a great deal that can be said in terms of what the families involved in this tragedy are having to face. My wife knew the woman from the couple who were killed along with their grandaughter from going to the cafe she worked in. Both of my daughters know people who went to school with the young woman who lost her life - by all accounts she was a lovely girl. My eldest daughter's boyfriend's dad works with the woman who watched her daughter and parents taken from her. It is genuinely heartbreaking to think of what everyone directly involved in this incident are going through.

I think it is the incomprehensible nature of the accident and, as you say, the there but for fortune element of it that strikes home. Absolutely awful.

It's truly sad.

What you say is like the film 'sliding doors' where one simple act can impact on your whole life , drop your keys on the way out the door , your day will now be 10 seconds different and of course other events in your life.

Seeing their faces today made it all the more real :( I've not really thought about much else today like many of you guys.

It's easy to say thoughts to the families and all involved , but i believe we all truly mean that.

It's worth just reflecting for a minute , maybe just make that call , send that text or drop in to see that 'Someone' make the first move to ensure its not your last.

Merry Xmas to Every-Buddie & your families :)

Edited by whydowebother

In a similar fashion, I read once that Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne were meant to be in the Pan Am flight that blew up over Lockerbie, but Ozzy was pished and they missed the flight. Without Googling, not sure if that is true or an old wife's tale. One thing's for sure though, you never know the minute...

It said on the radio yesterday that the way the lorries are designed means the crew sit in a separate bit behind the driver with no access to his cab, so it looks like they couldn't have done anything to stop it. Just self preservation as they couldn't know where it would end up.

Makes sense.

What an absolutely horrendous situation to be in.

How many of us have had that dream where we turn into Superman and save the day?

How far removed from that dream can a reality get?

I had silently wondered... but what could they have done?

Allegedly........but you've got them hung,drawn and quartered.

It must be great to be perfect.

I said I'd be interested to hear what they had to say John, no need to twist my words mate, thanks !

And I'd also be interested to know if there was a partioned cab or not, because that is not what another Glasgow bin lorry man said in an interview, he said they normally sat on a bench seat alongside the driver and behind as well. We'll find out in the coming days no doubt.

The police must have access to a ton of CCTV footage. This is a prime city centre area covering the heart of the city - George Sq and City Chambers, a main rail station, one of the city's main museums and one of its' busiest junctions. Traffic cameras, security cameras to cover possible trouble in the city.... Pretty sure a full picture of events will be pieced together, with much of the footage unsuitable for public broadcast.

If the two colleagues were in the cab behind the driver's cab, pretty sure if I'd been there, and it was all happening so quickly, I'd leap out if I made that split-second decision that it was the thing to do. If I was sitting beside the driver, my guess is I would (again, in that split second moment) try to hit the brake pedal, yank on the handbrake, something. However, if I was sitting at the door, with a colleague between me and the driver - I would probably try to jump out to my left, if possible.

All of this is guesswork as to what I THINK I might do if in such a situation. In reality it might be completely different and panic could simply take over.

I said I'd be interested to hear what they had to say John, no need to twist my words mate, thanks !

I didn't twist your words Alan.that's the way it reads.Sorry if I took it the wrong way.

Merry Christmas.......you can buy me a drink next time I see you. :)

• 7 months later...

So...how we feeling about the driver now that he appears to have attempted to cover up previous blackout episodes ? And listening to the so called 'expert witness' regarding whether or not the other binmen could have pulled the handbrake or not, it appears to be the case that no official emergency training has been put in place but the handbrake was probably reachable in most tested scenarios other than a high speed situation and that neither of them even knew where it was ?

From what I've read he didn't declare he'd blacked out because he hadn't.

Prosecution submitted hypothetical black-outs and have got witnesses to agree that IF he had blacked out before, and didn't declare it, would his job application be a "lie". They agreed.

From my reading (maybe wrong) there is as yet no proof that he lied.

BBC reports all have "lied" in quotes, showing they are also not wholly convinced.

Handily, the driver is deid, so won't be able to provide his take on his alleged covering-up and ill-health.

He is also conveniently easiest to blame, now.

Not the management, not the vehicle designers, not his colleagues....

When did he die ? It hasn't been reported ?

They also said that if they had pulled on the handbrake it could have caused even more deaths as it could have caused the lorry to slide.

Something that size probably had an air handbrake which is a lot harder to put on gradually than a normal one, especially if you were stretching for it.

Yep, that's the opinion of the witness, presumably talking about the 'hand brake turn' effect and in a hindsight capacity. The remarkable thing is that there was never any training put in place or even equipment that would have over ridden the transmission in the event of driver incapacity ! Surely to f*ck the enquiry outcome here will be another classic case of tombstone technology ? That and a serious look at Glasgow City Council driver policy and probably First Bus Glasgow driver policy too ?