Striking Options

DLBud

Glad to help balance your view bud. Any time.

Since they arrived, they have been playing in an area of the pitch the ball rarely reached under Craig.

I read that in 50% of Craigs matches we registered 2 or fewer chances on target. What chance would ANY striker have under those conditions.

Even Thommo struggled.

Don't get me wrong, Ball may well turn out to be shite... I'd just like to give him a fair crack at the whip before writing him off.

This season Tess, Kelly, Goodwin, McLean, McGinn have all played in various positions. Maybe better in some positions than others, but they still used their skills in whatever positions they played in. You can see they are decent players wherever they play or the circumstances.

Marwood, Caldwell, Ball and Reilly have showed little skill whenever they have played. 18 year olds coming into the team have performed better in two games than these 4 in 60-odd appearances. McLean yesterday equaled the total goals scored by these 4 in just one game! These guys have not been unlucky - they simply have shown little of what is required to play at this level. And they have certainly had enough opportunities to show some skills which they have failed to do.

McLean has until now been a midfielder but he plays far better as a striker than any of these guys have done. None of them are any use at holding up a ball; shooting; taking on players or bringing others into play. They cannot create openings and they are easily pushed off the ball. Give me McLean, Mclear and Mallan any time over these four.

I can see what Ball offers. Assuming Thommo was fit and playing, Ball is a big guy to come on when Thommo gets hurt or tires. I haven't seen nearly enough of Caldwell in a St Mirren kiddie's pirate shirt costume to know if he's any good or not. Any time I've seen Marwood he just looked like Lewis Guy with less offside decisions against him. Finally, I have absolutely no fcuking idea what Reilly brings to the team. I don't even know if he's supposed to be a striker, or a midfielder, or anything.

Edited by pozbaird

This season Tess, Kelly, Goodwin, McLean, McGinn have all played in various positions. Maybe better in some positions than others, but they still used their skills in whatever positions they played in. You can see they are decent players wherever they play or the circumstances.

Marwood, Caldwell, Ball and Reilly have showed little skill whenever they have played. 18 year olds coming into the team have performed better in two games than these 4 in 60-odd appearances. McLean yesterday equaled the total goals scored by these 4 in just one game! These guys have not been unlucky - they simply have shown little of what is required to play at this level. And they have certainly had enough opportunities to show some skills which they have failed to do.

McLean has until now been a midfielder but he plays far better as a striker than any of these guys have done. None of them are any use at holding up a ball; shooting; taking on players or bringing others into play. They cannot create openings and they are easily pushed off the ball. Give me McLean, Mclear and Mallan any time over these four.

McLeans first yesterday came from a run started deep in midfield.

McLeans second was created when he had been moved back to midfield... and was set up by Ball.

However... there are but mere facts.

A bit sad to see so many digs at young Reilly on this thread, can't remember him

playing his preferred strikers role this season.....

He's been played out of position although has done pretty well on occasions, but being

part of a poorly managed shite performing team I don't think there's many who have come

out of the TC era with flying colours... so FFS give the lad a break...

A bit sad to see so many digs at young Reilly on this thread, can't remember him

playing his preferred strikers role this season.....

He's been played out of position although has done pretty well on occasions, but being

part of a poorly managed shite performing team I don't think there's many who have come

out of the TC era with flying colours... so FFS give the lad a break...

No! All we hear, no doubt from friends or family, is that he has potential. Yet he f**ks around during warm ups and provides nothing during games. He's another Paul McQuade and needs shifted off the wage bill.

No! All we hear, no doubt from friends or family, is that he has potential. Yet he f**ks around during warm ups and provides nothing during games. He's another Paul McQuade and needs shifted off the wage bill.

I have never seen any one player who just watches the ball in mid air as much as Thomas Reilly, he seems to watch where it's going and then decides he wont get to it so doesnt bother. FFS son just run to where you think it might drop and put pressure on the opposition by doing so, you can move the ball nicely Thomas but you need to work off the ball as well son.

Mallon looked like a player the very first time I saw him play for a full 90 mins. He fought his own battle and didn't play the drama queen when he made a mistake. He concentrated on making things happen. He had dig and a passion for the cause and never gave up and plenty of raw skill. My mates agreed that he was a player and certainly one for the future. We were wrong - he is for the now after only a couple of first team games. I thought the same with Baird, and McLear; and Naismith, Kelly, McGinn and McLean when they made their debuts - rough diamonds but something good to work with.

I never felt or have seen any of that with the new signings (except Plummer and a much, much lesser extent Drury) or seen it with Reilly who between them have amassed 65 appearances this season (excluding Plummer) and helped to get us into a relegation place. Maybe they didn't play in their preferred position nor knew what the tactics were however that is no excuse for hiding and wanting others to work hard for you while you watch the proceedings. Drury could possibly improve but our own academy players have shown up better and contributed more than those brought in. Time for most of them to find new clubs as they simply do not have the skill-set nor are working hard enough at this Club and we do not have the time to see if they can improve. We have a relegation battle to fight. Kenny McLean as a midfielder has played as a better striker in 2 games than the other 4 have done in 65 games. That says it all.

Mallon looked like a player the very first time I saw him play for a full 90 mins. He fought his own battle and didn't play the drama queen when he made a mistake. He concentrated on making things happen. He had dig and a passion for the cause and never gave up and plenty of raw skill. My mates agreed that he was a player and certainly one for the future. We were wrong - he is for the now after only a couple of first team games. I thought the same with Baird, and McLear; and Naismith, Kelly, McGinn and McLean when they made their debuts - rough diamonds but something good to work with.

I never felt or have seen any of that with the new signings (except Plummer and a much, much lesser extent Drury) or seen it with Reilly who between them have amassed 65 appearances this season (excluding Plummer) and helped to get us into a relegation place. Maybe they didn't play in their preferred position nor knew what the tactics were however that is no excuse for hiding and wanting others to work hard for you while you watch the proceedings. Drury could possibly improve but our own academy players have shown up better and contributed more than those brought in. Time for most of them to find new clubs as they simply do not have the skill-set nor are working hard enough at this Club and we do not have the time to see if they can improve. We have a relegation battle to fight. Kenny McLean as a midfielder has played as a better striker in 2 games than the other 4 have done in 65 games. That says it all.

It's funny you say that last sentence. I actually think Kenny McLean is more suited as a striker than he is a midfielder

It's funny you say that last sentence. I actually think Kenny McLean is more suited as a striker than he is a midfielder.

You'll get more out of his flashes of brilliance up front than you will playing him in the middle of the park where he's inconsistent. At least up front one moment of magic can win you the game

Waste of an incredible talent persisting with Kenny as an out and out striker. He can boss any midfield.

He has performed admirably these last two games... but as I pointed out before... even playing as a striker, his goals have come from deep midfield or the spot when moved to midfield.

Easy to get caught up and I understand why... but Kenny will go.on to be one of Scotlands finest attacking midfielders... as I have repeatedly said since seeing him pre season in the youth side v Arthurlie... even when many on here were berating the lad as lazy and over rated.

Why don't we promote one of the strikers from our fantastic youth academy.

After more than 10 years in charge, surely Longwell has discovered at least 1 striker for the key position in the side?

No?

And a centre half as well?

If not, then what has he been doing all these years?

Producing 7 out of 11 for Saturday's starting 11 :)

Get real Sonny.

That pales into insignificance when you realise he didn't manage to personally sell any player for at least £3000,000,000 or feed the 5,000 with loaves and fishes.

Poor DL. What did he ever do to a50lennyc? Must have been real bad.

Incidentally, how come the 5,000 got loaves with their fishes? Had chips not been discovered back then?

Why don't we promote one of the strikers from our fantastic youth academy.

After more than 10 years in charge, surely Longwell has discovered at least 1 striker for the key position in the side?

No?

And a centre half as well?

If not, then what has he been doing all these years?

The boy Baird has already played at centre half this season.