Call Off The Search!

TopCat

Am I right in saying that your dislike of Longwell comes down to the lack of transfer income we have received on youth players? A ridiculous criticism of a coach who should primarily be judged on his coaching capabilities, and right now, he looks a pretty capable coach at this level.

I think you are wrong, but then I've been paying attention. I think I am right in saying that the particular poster in question has personal experience of dealing with the man.

Personally I've no axe to grind with Longwell. I've dealt with him. I found him affable and approachable and he certainly said a lot of the right things. I think over the years parts of the youth club set up has been let down by the fact that despite the facilities, there hasn't been much club investment in a proper scouting network. I don't think the responsibility for that lies with Longwell, but perhaps had he taken it on himself to try to foster better relations with juvenile clubs across the central belt he could have tapped into a wider information network.

I wouldn't agree with Zurich Allen when he talks about a "real team feeling" amongst a squad and neither would any of the four lads we had at the club on trial. There were all manner of cliques in there just as there are at most pro youth club set ups. What Longwell did have though was a philosophy on how he wanted the St Mirren teams to play and, from the reports I hear, the development coaches at the club generally appear to be sticking to the blueprint.

Should he be an Assistant? For me that depends on which job you see as more important. Is it more important at the club to have a regular production line of young talent prepared and breaking into the first team? Or is it more important to have a guy who has no senior playing experience, and little experience of coaching adults working with the first team.

I've only been to one game and to be perfectly honest I don't care too much either way whether Teale gets the job or not, but where your argument loses credibility is when you talk about St Mirren playing superbly against Motherwell and where you talk of a good performance against Celtic whilst saying Celtic could have scored 10.

A good manager should be able to set up their side to defend well, as well as attack. It may just be that the club really does need new defenders but Teale still hasn't managed a single shut out in three games. In the Motherwell game, I think you are getting carried away. It was a spirited performance from 10 men against the third worst side in the division but for all that St Mirren didn't really threaten - offside goal apart - whilst at the other end McGinn fell asleep and McAusland, again, lost Sutton in the six yard box.

Jury is out.

Goodness me, goodness to my pickled testes in a jar of scrotum sauce.

You are indeed living a lie, deluded if you like. Deluded indeed.

Your "I do not support St Mirren" urine fools no-one, no-one at all. You actually attend games of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad and not only that, no not only that at all, you loiter endlessly on an internet forum designed for fans of said football team and then profess to have no interest in said football team.

You insult everyone on this here little forum of ours when you profess not to care, you insult all forum user's when you reply to specific topics pretending not to be interested in the topic at discussion.

You do care who the next manager of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co is, you care very much indeed as if the opposite was indeed correct then not only would you not have made any comment on this thread you would not be a user of this forum.

You tell lies Mr Dickson, you lie to everybody on this here forum and nobody, I repeat NOBODY likes a liar (apart from Labour voters, they seem attracted to them).

Edited by TediousTom

how can anybody say he can't spot a player 7of them were in the team yesterday

Ask them

I think he does a great job considering we don't have a real scouting system

Mostly picking up cast offs from other Pro Youth

As i said he's a good coach by turning these boys into the first team

Edited by windae cleaner

I think you are wrong, but then I've been paying attention. I think I am right in saying that the particular poster in question has personal experience of dealing with the man.

Personally I've no axe to grind with Longwell. I've dealt with him. I found him affable and approachable and he certainly said a lot of the right things. I think over the years parts of the youth club set up has been let down by the fact that despite the facilities, there hasn't been much club investment in a proper scouting network. I don't think the responsibility for that lies with Longwell, but perhaps had he taken it on himself to try to foster better relations with juvenile clubs across the central belt he could have tapped into a wider information network.

I wouldn't agree with Zurich Allen when he talks about a "real team feeling" amongst a squad and neither would any of the four lads we had at the club on trial. There were all manner of cliques in there just as there are at most pro youth club set ups. What Longwell did have though was a philosophy on how he wanted the St Mirren teams to play and, from the reports I hear, the development coaches at the club generally appear to be sticking to the blueprint.

Should he be an Assistant? For me that depends on which job you see as more important. Is it more important at the club to have a regular production line of young talent prepared and breaking into the first team? Or is it more important to have a guy who has no senior playing experience, and little experience of coaching adults working with the first team.

Simple question Stuart - How many players playing yesterday came through our shockingly bad youth set up.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Ask them

I think he does a great job considering we don't have a real scouting system

Mostly picking up cast offs from other Pro Youth

As i said he's a good coach by turning these boys into the first team

And what about all the boys st mirren have playing from aged 5 to 12 that they have either developed/spotted at a young age from boys club or through the football camps that the club run during the summer. the cast offs from other pro youth schemes do not usually kick in from about 14 year old or over when lads either get let go or leave a club for more playing time. I have seen a few of the St Mirren pro youth teams over the last 10 years or so and most of the players that have impressed me have all been let go by the club like Lamont, Love & Ramsey who never quite fitted in for whatever reason.

But Saint Mirren have a Youth System that is working by producing players for the first team, ok it's not made money like Hamilton or Dundee United and is not quite as productive as the Queens Park system but it is working fine under Davie Longwell.

Edited by stevie-dee

We have won 1 game and now people are wanting Gary Teale as manager, get real and calm down, we need a man with experience, I recall after Tommy Craig won the first 4 of the pre-season games people were saying he will be great as manager and look what happened.

The club cannot go down the cheap route again, get Terry Butcher in and maybe make Teale his assistant.

Stewart Gilmour has no consideration for the club either, to take a 6 week break in South Africa when the club is managerless is a woeful decision, even Craig Whyte wouldn't have sunk that low.

We have won 1 game and now people are wanting Gary Teale as manager, get real and calm down, we need a man with experience, I recall after Tommy Craig won the first 4 of the pre-season games people were saying he will be great as manager and look what happened.

The club cannot go down the cheap route again, get Terry Butcher in and maybe make Teale his assistant.

Stewart Gilmour has no consideration for the club either, to take a 6 week break in South Africa when the club is managerless is a woeful decision, even Craig Whyte wouldn't have sunk that low.

Your comment about Stewart Gilmour is bang out of order.

Are you being serious ? If so then get a grip mate. Mr Gilmour and his fellow directors have put more into this club than the likes of you will even begin to comprehend.

What the f**k has it got to do with fans or anyone else if he decides to go on holiday.

Surly if we are to make a sensible appointment we could get the best off both?

Teale and Longwell have proved they can motivate the players and improve performances as well as bring the best out of the young lads shown over the last three games, so make them head-coach and assistant-head. Then appoint a new director of football with experience from outwith the club to do the wheeling and dealing etc.

Similar to the CL and RN arrangement at hearts.

The transfer window opens on Thursday. Other teams are making moves now and some are confident that they will have players signed in time for the New Year's Day game.

I'd also like to see us move early in that window. By the 2nd of January I'd hope guys like Plummer, Marwood and Reilly were punted to free up wages. I hope we'll have at least one new player by the ICT game on the 4th.

Teale can't make those moves unless he is given the job. The time is now. Delaying further leaves us playing catch up in the window.

I've known David Longwell for years, even before his involvement in St.Mirren, through a mutual friend.

Away from the football side he's a top bloke, good sense of humour and a genuinely nice guy.

I have no idea what he's like at his job, but what I do know is that the players at the club rate him extremely highly and he is VERY highly thought of outside of the club.

He's long been tipped for a move to a "bigger club".

There are bound to be those with an axe to grind about the guy who runs the youth setup. Angry parents who thought their kid was going to be the next Beckham, that sort of thing.

We are lucky to have David at the club, and long may he continue to be there IMO !

The transfer window opens on Thursday. Other teams are making moves now and some are confident that they will have players signed in time for the New Year's Day game.

I'd also like to see us move early in that window. By the 2nd of January I'd hope guys like Plummer, Marwood and Reilly were punted to free up wages. I hope we'll have at least one new player by the ICT game on the 4th.

Teale can't make those moves unless he is given the job. The time is now. Delaying further leaves us playing catch up in the window.

Going to come down to budget as well mate. It's difficult to see where funds will come from with the ex-manager still to be paid.

I imagine that to get players in we will have to let some go.

Although he looked decent when he has played I'd be tempted to cut Ellis Plummer free and send him back to City. We can't afford to have players sitting in the stand every week. Not sure what the term of his loan spell are. Drury is another one who could probably go back without anyone really missing him to be honest.

Harsh but true.

We absolutely positively NEED a centre half and we NEED a striker. Those are two positions that are going to be difficult to fill in January but if we are to have a chance of staying up I think it's clear we need to address those two areas urgently.

I've known David Longwell for years, even before his involvement in St.Mirren, through a mutual friend.

Away from the football side he's a top bloke, good sense of humour and a genuinely nice guy.

I have no idea what he's like at his job, but what I do know is that the players at the club rate him extremely highly and he is VERY highly thought of outside of the club.

He's long been tipped for a move to a "bigger club".

There are bound to be those with an axe to grind about the guy who runs the youth setup. Angry parents who thought their kid was going to be the next Beckham, that sort of thing.

We are lucky to have David at the club, and long may he continue to be there IMO !

The saints for a day game this year wasn't my first or only time with David Longwell either. I have had some coaching under him too, and he was excellent. Really knew what he was doing (should go without saying!). Very 'pass and move' and 'not losing possession when under pressure' focussed. Really encouraged individual creativity too.

I'd put him up with Billy Davies in terms of the most positive coaching experiences I've had - very different a style, but equally as effective.

Anyway, me (and my wee boy) and the team. :)

post-8960-14198545760687_thumb.jpg

Going to come down to budget as well mate. It's difficult to see where funds will come from with the ex-manager still to be paid.

I imagine that to get players in we will have to let some go.

Although he looked decent when he has played I'd be tempted to cut Ellis Plummer free and send him back to City. We can't afford to have players sitting in the stand every week. Not sure what the term of his loan spell are. Drury is another one who could probably go back without anyone really missing him to be honest.

Harsh but true.

We absolutely positively NEED a centre half and we NEED a striker. Those are two positions that are going to be difficult to fill in January but if we are to have a chance of staying up I think it's clear we need to address those two areas urgently.

Apparently there's interest from Gateshead in taking Marwood back on loan. That's one wage gone.

Hopefully a lower league team will fancy Reilly on loan too and at least contribute to some of his wages. We will be paying something for Drury and Plummer, getting rid of them will free up something.

I'd also be tempted to tell Kello he's free to find another club. We could get a second choice keeper for far less than we're paying him, and that would mean more money for the outfield players.

Going off topic here... But I'd like to appeal to Steven Thompson to retire now if he doesn't truly believe he can get back to full fitness this season.

If he does think he can get back to his best by all means stay on. If not then retire as a legend and free up a senior wage so we can spend it on a proven striker in January

I have known David for a few years and he is first class coach and a genuinely nice guy. But in the football world he has to make very hard decisions that will mean some youngsters will move on that's the way of the football world. Has he always make the right calls ? I'm sure he would say no,but decisions have to be made. Sometimes the parents take it worse than the players, maybe that's the problem with the people criticising him

Guillermo Almada ??? Who the f**k is that ?!?!?!

The Daily Express reported over the weekend the Argentinians would be making an offer. The journalist who wrote the article then asked McBookie on Twitter for the odds of Almada taking over.

Going back to transfers, McLear starting the last two games suggests he's now ahead of Drury for the right wing slot. Might still be handy to have him for cover for there and also rightback - plus until Saturday he was our joint top scorer!