Stephen Mallan

TopCat

Don't get me wrong, Mallan is a fantastic prospect but I can only assume you're a lot younger than me TC.

Off the top of my head he has a fair way to go to top Gordon McQueen, Bobby McKean, Bobby Reid, Tony Fitzpatrick, Stevie Clarke and Ian Ferguson.

and 4 at Ibrox Alasdair McLeod!!!

and Scotland left back Iain Munro

Edited by Danny

F**k off you idiot. You just keep on making a bigger clown of yourself as time goes on as if you weren't bad enough before. I haven't seen or spoken to Archie in years but I'll try to contact him on Facebook or whatever. The accusations is rubbish and I know you didn't make it but it's like you to go on about it. I'm comfortable about my relationship with Archie even after all these years and will let you k now

Every time I see his goal I think there's something odd about it.

He gets the ball in the inside right position, touches it six times, all with the left foot including the shot at the end.

Dutch defenders appear to be doing their best to get out of his way.

Final score - Holland lose narrowly and by doing so finish second in the group and avoid Argentina in the next round.

......just saying like.......

They were already losing 2-1 before wee Archie's goal and a 4-1 defeat would have eliminated them.

So what did they have to gain from letting Gemmill score?

Edited by bingboy

They were already losing 2-1 before wee Archie's goal and a 4-1 defeat would have eliminated them.

So what did they have to gain from letting Gemmill score?

They wandered up the park and knocked one in shortly afterwards, then played out the rest of the game with an apparent attitude of - we can score when we want.

Every time I see his goal I think there's something odd about it.

He gets the ball in the inside right position, touches it six times, all with the left foot including the shot at the end.

Dutch defenders appear to be doing their best to get out of his way.

Final score - Holland lose narrowly and by doing so finish second in the group and avoid Argentina in the next round.

......just saying like.......

Sounds good but the facts don't bear you out.

The two second round groups in the 78 World Cup were pretty well matched. Argentina, Brazil, Poland and Peru in one group and Holland in the other with Italy (who had already beaten Argentina), West Germany (the holders) and Austria. There was no easy group. Next you'll be telling us that Holland let Italy go 1-0 up in the crucial game of the group for entertainment purposes.

They wandered up the park and knocked one in shortly afterwards, then played out the rest of the game with an apparent attitude of - we can score when we want.

Lol you make it sound like they just walked through the Scotland defence and could have done so at any time when in fact Johnny Rep scored an absolute screamer from about 30 yards.

Of course they wouldn't have needed that as a safety net if they hadn't all decided to get out of Archie's way.

Makes me wonder why they did it really............

Sounds good but the facts don't bear you out.

The two second round groups in the 78 World Cup were pretty well matched. Argentina, Brazil, Poland and Peru in one group and Holland in the other with Italy (who had already beaten Argentina), West Germany (the holders) and Austria. There was no easy group. Next you'll be telling us that Holland let Italy go 1-0 up in the crucial game of the group for entertainment purposes.

The other fly in the ointment to this wacky conspiracy theory is that Holland would have needed a 3 goal win over Scotland to top the group so had absolutely no need to engineer a single goal defeat to finish 2nd.

Don't get me wrong, Mallan is a fantastic prospect but I can only assume you're a lot younger than me TC.

Off the top of my head he has a fair way to go to top Gordon McQueen, Bobby McKean, Bobby Reid, Tony Fitzpatrick, Stevie Clarke and Ian Ferguson.

You are right, he is nowhere near the standard of those players, add to that quite a few who showed as much potential as SM but failed to live up to the expectation.

Just now he is lining up alongside the likes of Torrance

But the sentiment is correct, he should be signed up to a better contrct just now as he definitely looks a better prospect than McGinn or McLean

You assume correctly, I never see any of them play for us.

You are right, he is nowhere near the standard of those players, add to that quite a few who showed as much potential as SM but failed to live up to the expectation.

Just now he is lining up alongside the likes of Torrance

But the sentiment is correct, he should be signed up to a better contrct just now as he definitely looks a better prospect than McGinn or McLean

I think he is as good a prospect as McLean but not better... but then again since seeing him take a physical battering against Arthurlie yet boss the midfield with some beautiful football, I have always believed that McLean is a damned sight better than we ever gave him credit for and that he will go on to much bigger things.

I made a point of enjoying him while he was here and supporting him through the dips.

If we as a team want to progress, more of us will have to learn to be patient and support the young players through their inevitable dips in form.

Mallan is a special talent indeed... our best prospect at present.

We didn't appreciate what we had in McLean till it was too late...

We were indifferent towards McGinn and gave him pelters for his poor run...

I just hope to God we have learned our lesson and make Mallan want to stay longer than we have a right to expect him to.

I think he is as good a prospect as McLean but not better... but then again since seeing him take a physical battering against Arthurlie yet boss the midfield with some beautiful football, I have always believed that McLean is a damned sight better than we ever gave him credit for and that he will go on to much bigger things.

I made a point of enjoying him while he was here and supporting him through the dips.

If we as a team want to progress, more of us will have to learn to be patient and support the young players through their inevitable dips in form.

Mallan is a special talent indeed... our best prospect at present.

We didn't appreciate what we had in McLean till it was too late...

We were indifferent towards McGinn and gave him pelters for his poor run...

I just hope to God we have learned our lesson and make Mallan want to stay longer than we have a right to expect him to.

I think you are wrong there, i believe the majority of our crowd knew tthat we had something special with Mclean, his deal with the board and the undisclosed figure he went to Aberdeen for and who profited from that deal is what we neither appreciate nor know.

I think you are wrong there, i believe the majority of our crowd knew tthat we had something special with Mclean, his deal with the board and the undisclosed figure he went to Aberdeen for and who profited from that deal is what we neither appreciate nor know.

Really?

Have a look back at some of the threads on here.

"Too lazy" was the usual allegation I defended him against.

"Poor workrate" another.

"Too full of himself and believing his own press".

If the majority of our fans truly knew that we had something special, they went a strange way about showing it.

Also makes me wonder why I spent so much time on here defending him!

Really?

"Poor workrate" another.

If the majority of our fans truly knew that we had something special, they went a strange way about showing it.

While I agree many were harsh on McLean, I really think it was out of frustration because they were aware of the young guys potential and feared he was missing his opportunity. Much like McGinn last season. I'm not sure that was entirely wrong as he undoubtedly was capable of a better move than "The famous, (aye right ), Aberdeen.

Really?

"Poor workrate" another.

I don't think the majority of our fans post on here, the majority on here who did post about mclean may well have been posting negative comments. I obviously don't have the figures to back this up but i don't think the majority were against him

I don't think the majority of our fans post on here, the majority on here who did post about mclean may well have been posting negative comments. I obviously don't have the figures to back this up but i don't think the majority were against him

McLean is gone. Like most young players they go through good periods and not so good periods.

Let's enjoy Mallan while we have him because if he keeps progressing he won't be with us for that long

Edited by Dave The Buddie

Really?

"Poor workrate" another.

Absolutely spot on.

McLean was given pelters at times by a fair percentage of St.Mirren fans who didn't appreciate what they had. A lot of the time when we didn't get the best out of McLean was when he was stuck out at left midfield when he was clearly better in the middle. We got even more out of him when we pushed him forward to an attacking role.

He also managed to rile much of the support when he'd try passes, switches of play and generally expressing himself and trying to play a level of football above the norm of an average St.Mirren player. Sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't but he certainly attracted plenty of vocal abuse for daring to do better. Remember this was a relatively young player that we were dealing with - it was hardly encouraging someone to hone their talent. Maybe that's part of the reason that our (Scottish) football lags so far behind.

While it was a totally different type of player - we also couldn't recognise we had a player in John Sutton. It's a common thing with our support. Sutton got the same - "too lazy", "poor workrate", etc. He was a goalscorer and scored goals. Simple.

Who profited? Mclean profited because he went to a decent team.. Aberdeen profited because they got a good player and we profited £200Kish and 6 months longer having Mclean as a player than we could have if he'd chosen to leave for free when his contract was up.