Stephen Mallan

TopCat

We have a smart operator for a chairman and an astute manager. If the fee quoted is correct then my thought is the compensation we would get at the end of next season would be a lot less and with no add ons of course. So the manager has said ok to the transfer in the knowledge he can use it to strengthen the team as a whole. That and the regard he has for Kyle Magennis suggests he has a ready made and possibly better replacement. We will miss a lot of Stephen Mallan's input but it may be for the greater good.

Players and agents hold the aces. If a few relatively high-profile English clubs all wanted Mallan, then no doubt, in a bidding war the club who wanted him the most would pay more than 200k.

Where's a bidding war for Mallan? Has there been serious talk of (let's say) Barnsley, Leeds, Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest all eyeing Mallan up? Nope.

I refuse to blame anyone at the club if Mallan goes to Barnsley for 200k. I am convinced GLS and Sir Fitzy are gutted, but how can they force a suitor to pay 500k in this modern world, and in this particular case? You have to hope they have secured a good sell-on clause, then we need Mallan to become a star and the likes of Swansea or West Brom come sniffing with a bid in excess of 2.5 million...

Best wishes to Mallan, and also best wishes to Jack Ross, Sir Fitzy and GLS as they juggle their balls... oooohhh errr missus!

Disgusted with this if it's true. Nothing against the lad as he obviously wants to go and play at higher level but with his goals and performances recently I would have thought we would hold out for at least double that. I understand this is how a club like ours survive but a big blow to our campaign next season already and not a massive amount when you look at sums flying about for players down south. 

3 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Disgusted with this if it's true. Nothing against the lad as he obviously wants to go and play at higher level but with his goals and performances recently I would have thought we would hold out for at least double that. I understand this is how a club like ours survive but a big blow to our campaign next season already and not a massive amount when you look at sums flying about for players down south. 

That's the market we operate in unfortunately. Out of contract next season, Scottish Championship is very much regarded as a backwater down there and we can't really hold the player back.

Mark my words, if Stevie stays injury free, we'll win big out of this deal in a couple of years from now.

I'd much rather he moved to Barnsley for £200k and a sell on than somewhere like Rangers for £300k with the same percentage sell on clause, put it that way. If he shines in the Championship, we're talking big money. Just look at some of the transfer fees Ross McCormack has piled up.

Edited by djchapsticks

A move for Mallan was always on the cards, given his performances over the last couple of seasons. His contribution in the Jack Ross era has only underlined his continuing development and alerted clubs south of the border to his presence. Disappointed with the fee but, as has been stated above, better to get something now with a possible add-on if he moves on in the future than to let his contract run down and get nothing. In Jack and Gordon we trust!

17 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the 200k steal was wrote into his contract, our old board have previous in this department, they were never slow in trying to make a quick buck...  

Down south is a completely different animal. You can't judge fees up here by any of the ones down south. Those sums don't Foy around up here, Aberdeen were offered 500K for Hayes and I'm really scratching my head for other fees recently. Rangers/Celtic don't count, though you can point at 500K for Dembele. You certainly can't use 1.8 mill for Garner as Rangers are a basket case. Who's left Hearts lately? What fees are real instead of this "paper talk" 750K tag on the lad at Falkirk. Having spoken to agents/scouts, the Scottish market is dead.

1 minute ago, TsuMirren said:

Down south is a completely different animal. You can't judge fees up here by any of the ones down south. Those sums don't Foy around up here, Aberdeen were offered 500K for Hayes and I'm really scratching my head for other fees recently. Rangers/Celtic don't count, though you can point at 500K for Dembele. You certainly can't use 1.8 mill for Garner as Rangers are a basket case. Who's left Hearts lately? What fees are real instead of this "paper talk" 750K tag on the lad at Falkirk. Having spoken to agents/scouts, the Scottish market is dead.

Also, does GLS strike anyone as being the kind of guy who would 'take it up the arse' for a fee he thought derisory and could have held out for more? Does anyone look at his business interests and the way he went about things over the past ten years or so and reckons he's a soft touch who will roll over and take any old offer without trying his best to maximise a deal?

Good luck to young Stevie who has been a credit to himself and the club. It was no coincidence that his form dramatically improved when McGinn signed.

I see some folk are pissed off about the fee, but we have to remember the level we are currently operating in. I can't see clubs offering huge fees for players playing in the second tier of Scottish football. 200k with add on's and a sell on clause is good business considering where we are at the moment.

Our academy will keep them rolling out and Kyle Magennis is his natural successor. 

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Also, does GLS strike anyone as being the kind of guy who would 'take it up the arse' for a fee he thought derisory and could have held out for more? Does anyone look at his business interests and the way he went about things over the past ten years or so and reckons he's a soft touch who will roll over and take any old offer without trying his best to maximise a deal?

He clearly knows bugger all about the football transfer market.

Being decent in construction and real estate doesn't mean to know everything about every business. This transfer is a f**king joke.

2 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Our academy will keep them rolling out and Kyle Magennis is his natural successor. 

I'd bet we never produce another player like Mallan again. This is a complete waste.

Just now, Kemp said:

He clearly knows bugger all about the football transfer market.

Being decent in construction and real estate doesn't mean to know everything about every business. This transfer is a f**king joke.

Well, Fitzy is our CEO, he's been a player of stature, a manager, and been around a while - is he also a useless cnut who is rolling over and playing dead?

50 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Selling McAllister in January was supposed to be the final blow to our survival chances. In the end, he was replaced and very easy to argue wasn't missed at all.