Stephen Mallan

TopCat

If bid is 175k and it's accepted then I would be very surprised and extremely disappointed.  What's the point of ralston if you sell for peanuts.  I understand he is out of contract in one year but for goodness sake 175k. I imagine alot of fans will be disgusted at this when they see simelar teams getting more cash for the talent they rear. It makes me question the point of us and buying season books when the best young talent are sold for absolutely nowt. 175 k is utter crap

Edited by norrie82

1 minute ago, norrie82 said:

If bid is 175k and it's accepted then I would be very surprised and extremely disappointed.  What's the point of ralston if you sell for peanuts.  I understand he is out of contract in one year but for goodness sake 175k. I imagine alot of fans will be disgusted at this when they see simelar teams getting more cash for the talent they rear. It makes me question the point if us and buying season books when the best young talent are sold for absolutely nowt. 175 k is utter crap

Feck me! Give it another hour and we'll be paying THEM for the lad to go!

1 hour ago, Dalrybud said:

Thought I saw a tweet from Sky Sports saying that we'd accepted 300k. Still short of an acceptable valuation but again, depends on the add ons.

MALLAN TALKS FOR BARNSLEY

Barnsley have been given permission to speak to St Mirren midfielder Stevie Mallan, after the clubs agreed a fee of around £300,000 plus potential add-ons, according to Sky sources.

21 year old Mallan scored 11 goals for St Mirren this season, helping to keep the club in the Scottish Championship. He made his debut for St Mirren in November 2014 and has played 112 times, scoring 29 times.

300k plus additions, that will be so many first team games will activate additional money then if he moves on we get a percentage of any fee paid. The deal may be a lot better than many think. It also let's Jack Ross plan for the season early rather than later with funds we did not have. Half full glass. 

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

None of us know the details of Stevie Mallans contract which was probably agreed before Fitzpatrick and Scott took over. My guess is that Barnsley made a bid that triggered a release clause that allowed them permission to speak to him. Agents play a huge part in these contract negotiations to protect their asset.

Is Stevies agent not his dad?

If Mallan isn't signing a new contract then it makes sense to sell him before the transfer window shuts in August rather than lose him for nothing in a year or sell him for peanuts in January. However, that doesn't mean we have to accept what seems to be the first offer that comes along after the season is finished when there's still three and a half months to go until the window shuts. We should only be accepting it if it's ridiculously high, which doesn't seem to be the case. Far better to drag it out a bit and either get Barnsley to up their offer or get a few other clubs involved. Makes sod all difference if he goes now, in June or July.

Mallan signed his contract after a handful of first team appearances more than two years ago so I'd be surprised if there's any sort of release clause. The season is only just finished and Ross will know Mallan is going so letting him go now hardly changes how he prepares the squad for next season.

Not that excited about add-ons and the like - good if he gets sold on as Snodgrass, McCarthy etc have been but no so good if he ends up back here in a year or so like Allan or Fyvie. Everyone is excited about the sell-on fee for McGinn but if he doesn't go this summer chances are we'll get sod all there.

Mallan has earned a move and without him we would have been relegated. However, we should be looking for a lot more up front than is being mentioned. Not only has he got a couple of years' experience under his belt, he was also a cracking player in the Premiership in a shite team so he is proven in Scotland. 

2 hours ago, bud77 said:

No one on here knows the details of Hamilton's deals or how much cash they got up front. It could very well be that they only got a few hundred thousand and the add ons made this up to a potential million pound deal and Hamilton released details saying the players had been sold for loadsamoney.  

Absolutely hitting the nail on the head there. The phrase "a deal worth £xxx,xxx,xxx" only means that is what it's reckoned to be worth, not actually what the selling club get, most of them will never disclose the exact amount or terms of the deal.

If Mallan isn't signing a new contract then it makes sense to sell him before the transfer window shuts in August rather than lose him for nothing in a year or sell him for peanuts in January. However, that doesn't mean we have to accept what seems to be the first offer that comes along after the season is finished when there's still three and a half months to go until the window shuts. We should only be accepting it if it's ridiculously high, which doesn't seem to be the case. Far better to drag it out a bit and either get Barnsley to up their offer or get a few other clubs involved. Makes sod all difference if he goes now, in June or July.
Mallan signed his contract after a handful of first team appearances more than two years ago so I'd be surprised if there's any sort of release clause. The season is only just finished and Ross will know Mallan is going so letting him go now hardly changes how he prepares the squad for next season.
Not that excited about add-ons and the like - good if he gets sold on as Snodgrass, McCarthy etc have been but no so good if he ends up back here in a year or so like Allan or Fyvie. Everyone is excited about the sell-on fee for McGinn but if he doesn't go this summer chances are we'll get sod all there.
Mallan has earned a move and without him we would have been relegated. However, we should be looking for a lot more up front than is being mentioned. Not only has he got a couple of years' experience under his belt, he was also a cracking player in the Premiership in a shite team so he is proven in Scotland. 

I don't necessarily agree that it does nt matter when we sell him. IMHO the earlier the better that way JR knows exactly what his budget for the coming season is, and allows us to get our business done early.

Apart from anything else if other teams are interested, they will know they need to act now or move on to other targets. It's all about opinions.

8 minutes ago, elvis said:

We also have to be aware that if we were getting loads of money for our players then other clubs know this and then we are made to pay over the odds for anyone we might be in for .

Phew - that's a relief.

For a daft moment I just couldn't see the downside of big transfer fees coming in.

:rolleyes: