Stephen Mallan

TopCat

When you drive into Barnsley there's a big sign that says 'Welcome to Barnsley - don't laugh, just wait until you see Rotherham'.
That's one for any Barnsley fans 'dipping in'. See, we're a nice friendly bunch here. [emoji3]

Does it not say 'welcome tit bansli '

Big Yorkshire boy I work beside when I asked him about the place said, "shit ole"
Seems conclusive.

There has been ill informed opinion on both sides. Barnsley are one of the few clubs in our division who try to live within their means and are building a reputation for unearthing talent from the lower divisions, improving them and selling for a profit. We too have been criticised by our fans in the past for letting that talent go too cheaply. Having said that, we benefited massively from a sell on clause for Stones (ex Academy) and may do so in the future with Holgate (ex Academy) as well. Mawson (ex Brentford) was also sold for £5M in the August transfer window. The controversial sales of Hourihane (ex Plymouth), Winnall (ex Scunthorpe) and Bree (ex-Academy) in January is perceived to have thrown away a good chance of getting into the play offs. The majority of our fans are excited by the potential signing of Stevie Mallan and are hopeful he is a Marley Watkins, rather than a Kane Hemmings, in terms of making the transition. We are constantly belittled by Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds fans. Don't let our minority of numpties make you think we are the same. 

36 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It's only not a good move if there are bigger clubs interested. The boy is a class act, but I have seen good players disappear down there, so the important thing here is that he trusts the manager who is signing him to give him the backing he deserves and help develop his career even further.

As for being far too good for the Scottish Championship, it'd be nice to have that kind of player for another season, if it were possible... :wink:

Very easy to disappear down there, or at least appear to...again perception. He'll initially have to deal with no longer being "ohhhhhhhh wee Stevie Maaallaaaan" and instead just part of a squad. Also, it's a larger league, more sides means less games feeling the same, bigger crowds, more expectation and I'd argue those clubs are less patient. I'm honestly not sure Stevie is too good for the Championship, but then I don't believe the Championship is as bad as a lot of people tend to make out. 

It could be difficult for him to adapt, character more than ability may actually shape how he gets on. I was down at Carlisle vs Exeter last night and even at League Two level there were spells when both sides showed they could rip apart a lot of Scottish sides, but they also had spells where they were just purely rank rotten. 

Very easy to disappear down there, or at least appear to...again perception. He'll initially have to deal with no longer being "ohhhhhhhh wee Stevie Maaallaaaan" and instead just part of a squad. Also, it's a larger league, more sides means less games feeling the same, bigger crowds, more expectation and I'd argue those clubs are less patient. I'm honestly not sure Stevie is too good for the Championship, but then I don't believe the Championship is as bad as a lot of people tend to make out. 

It could be difficult for him to adapt, character more than ability may actually shape how he gets on. I was down at Carlisle vs Exeter last night and even at League Two level there were spells when both sides showed they could rip apart a lot of Scottish sides, but they also had spells where they were just purely rank rotten. 

I think he has the ability to go further, but as I said, the right manager will make a big difference. One who has faith in him and will persevere if he doesn't hit the ground running or one who is more concerned with his own position?

Hope he makes the right move and hope it goes well.

As far as I'm led to believe Stevie Mallan was ready to go at Xmas. St Mirren pleaded with him to stay and try to keep us in the championship. Then in the Summer we would let him go. Arguably he has been the major force in keeping us up so he's saved us a fortune in being relegated so 200/300k whilst not ideal, is better than what we could have got at Xmas.

I would seriously like to know how you think the old BoD profited from selling players on the cheap.
Go on, let us know. I could do with a good laugh.
I'd also like someone to name a single player that St. Mirren have sold on the cheap who has then go on to make his next club a large profit in the transfer market.
Just one.

Archie Gemmell was sold to Preston for £13,000 and they sold him to Derby for £60,000.

Macca was sold to West Ham for £340,000 and then sold onto Celtic for £750,000.

Sorry, wasn't sure how far back you wanted to go?

As far as I'm led to believe Stevie Mallan was ready to go at Xmas. St Mirren pleaded with him to stay and try to keep us in the championship. Then in the Summer we would let him go. Arguably he has been the major force in keeping us up so he's saved us a fortune in being relegated so 200/300k whilst not ideal, is better than what we could have got at Xmas.

That's not true. Deal with Barnsley was agreed and we moved the goalposts, which we are entirely within our rights to do. They pulled out of the deal leaving Stevie understandably upset.

That makes his commitment and level of play since then even more remarkable. He's earned his big payday.

12 minutes ago, El Gingero said:

Mainly this above. I think there was a loose agreement between all parties with Barnsley getting first dibs subject to meeting a minimum fee (perhaps thats the £200k being bandied around?).

if I look back over his form for the whole of this season, and last I would have to say on reflection £200k plus any add on seems about right. He has by his own and his Dad's admission had real dips in form and will need to think carefully how he is going to play his game in that league. For a start he will have to make quicker, better choices if he is in possesion in the middle of the park.

it will be a hard slog if he falls back into getting dispossessed, or hitting poor passes again. Maybe thats all behind him now, and he is constantly thinking about position, possesion and next pass. If so he can be gallas enough to pull off plenty more stunning goals as he will find more space in the middle down there.

the majority of games in our league and bottom half of the premier here are nip& tuck midfield slogs, where managers are shit scared to commit men forward, but rather try to wear opponents down in deadlocked battles of attrition. Look at the football Newcastle and Brighton served up, if they can replicate that next season they will stay up, and that gives you an idea of the margin of step-up Stevie will need to adapt to.

almost every player in that league is measurably better than the anyone he has been up against in the last two seasons here. Good luck Stevie boy, you've earned it, now take the chance by the scruff of the neck and be a horrible wee bugger they all love to hate!

I think most on here have a got a short term memory and easily forget how bad he was in the lead upto Christmas.

That being said, you cannot deny his input and quality in the latter part of the season. Is he worth more than £250 / £300k, probably; are we likely to get more, probably not. He should sign a year's extension and go next year - still lots to learn for him next to McGinn.

3 minutes ago, melmac said:

I think most on here have a got a short term memory and easily forget how bad he was in the lead upto Christmas.

That being said, you cannot deny his input and quality in the latter part of the season. Is he worth more than £250 / £300k, probably; are we likely to get more, probably not. He should sign a year's extension and go next year - still lots to learn for him next to McGinn.

Not far off the mark there , He was one of plenty players who were just not cutting it , a lot of the criticism he received was OTT and his dad had to come on and defend him , as any father would do.

Stevie is worth what any other club is willing to pay for him and is now entering the last year of his deal.

In his first season he scored the goal of the season in Scotland and three others for a relegated side.

In his second season he scored 14 goals in a poor side. In his third season he scored 11 goals in an even poorer side.

Those numbers are fantastic for a midfielder of any age, never mind a kid who's just turned 21 and has been playing in a succession of poor teams.

That's before you even mention his assists. Against Raith last month he scored 3 and set up the other 2 in a 5-0 win. He set up the goal that kept us in the league at Easter Road.

For the good of his career it's time for him to move on.

1 hour ago, Luther G. Presley said:

I don't think this is the best move for him, Barnsley aren't a very high profile club and he could easily be forgotten about down there unless he is a standout for them, I think he should hold out, bigger teams than Barnsley will come calling soon enough.

John Stones played for Barnsley who sold him to  Everton for over £3m and got several millions more in a sell-on when he went to Man City.

3 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

John Stones played for Barnsley who sold him to  Everton for over £3m and got several millions more in a sell-on when he went to Man City.

I'm pretty sure i reads somewhere that they made something like £7m from his transfer to Man City!

Mallan should go this summer. Barnsley will pay him 3 or 4 times what we are. At the moment his stock is high after a great couple of months. People say he should stay and "develop", but that's not what he needs now. He could stay and break his leg in the first game and lose another season. He's had his time at St.Mirren, and it's best for both parties that he goes now so we can prepare for the next season without him and he can test himself at a higher level.

Another thing from Stevie Mallan's perspective. Aside from trousering a nice pay packet, aside from playing to bigger crowds, and aside from being only one division down from the Premier League, he'll be going to the Stadium of Light, the Riverside, Carrow Road, Elland Road, Craven Cottage.... and not Alloa, Brechin, Livingston, Greenock or maybe Hamilton...

No brainer for the lad. Good luck to both him and Barnsley. Hope both player and club have a great season....

If Mallan fires a 25 yard special to pump Sunderland... adopts Kevin Keegan voice... I would love it, just love it.

6 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

I would seriously like to know how you think the old BoD profited from selling players on the cheap.

Go on, let us know. I could do with a good laugh.

I'd also like someone to name a single player that St. Mirren have sold on the cheap who has then go on to make his next club a large profit in the transfer market.

Just one.

Do I really have to explain, ok then, by balancing the books, and protecting there interest, keeping the club in the black, while we all watch the club slipping down a slippery slope towards the third tier of Scottish football for the first time in our history, what was the original price 2million or there abouts,  or replace the playing squad with duffers from all over that's how, theres more than one way to skin a cat, but never mind we were debt free,, hope you find this funny, I didnt 

2 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Do I really have to explain, ok then, by balancing the books, and protecting there interest, keeping the club in the black, while we all watch the club slipping down a slippery slope towards the third tier of Scottish football for the first time in our history, what was the original price 2million or there abouts,  or replace the playing squad with duffers from all over that's how, theres more than one way to skin a cat, but never mind we were debt free,, hope you find this funny, I didnt 

I thought you were going to explain...........silly me!!

1 hour ago, norman said:

Mallan should go this summer. Barnsley will pay him 3 or 4 times what we are. At the moment his stock is high after a great couple of months. People say he should stay and "develop", but that's not what he needs now. He could stay and break his leg in the first game and lose another season. He's had his time at St.Mirren, and it's best for both parties that he goes now so we can prepare for the next season without him and he can test himself at a higher level.

:rolleyes:

He is entering the final year of his contract so Mallan and his agent hold a strong hand when it comes to the club accepting offers.

With regards to personal terms, has Mallan accepted anything? Yeah, he might be being offered 6x his current wage, but his stock has risen a lot in the last 4 months since Barnsley were last in for him, so it's not unreasonable that other better clubs could come in for him.  I assume any transfer can't go through until the window opens. When is that? I'm sure he and his agent will be happy to be patient for a few weeks. With it having fallen through in Jan, Barnsley are simply trying to steal a march by getting their offer in early. But surely there is plenty time for other clubs to show an interest.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The Billy Big Baws might also want to reflect onnthe following.

We have never been in administration. We could have done but we sold our ground to pay our debts instead.

That has left our club's history intact and stain-free.

Perhaps if Barnsley had the shown the same level of honour and decency they would not be in a position to essentially screw us for one of our best players.

They should maybe show a bit more f**king respect.

Or at least they should maybe try having the overheads associated with actually owning their own f**king stadium. Even our "conference" club has managed that. They rent from the council FFS.

Good post, but let's be honest, we really don't give a flying fcuk about Barnsley, how they operate, or if they have Sevconian / Livvy traits that mark them out as shysters. My only interest in wishing them well next season is that if they do well, the chances increase that Stevie Mallan is doing well. With a bit of luck, Mallan cuts the mustard down there and earns a big move. Then, with all due respect, who gives a shit what happens to Barnsley FC? For the time that Stevie Mallan is with them, good luck to them.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Another thing from Stevie Mallan's perspective. Aside from trousering a nice pay packet, aside from playing to bigger crowds, and aside from being only one division down from the Premier League, he'll be going to the Stadium of Light, the Riverside, Carrow Road, Elland Road, Craven Cottage.... and not Alloa, Brechin, Livingston, Greenock or maybe Hamilton...

No brainer for the lad. Good luck to both him and Barnsley. Hope both player and club have a great season....

If Mallan fires a 25 yard special to pump Sunderland... adopts Kevin Keegan voice... I would love it, just love it.

I would doubt Mallan is going anywhere near the Barnsley first team squad at the moment. He be going into development academy and we'll see if he can make it from there. He's not good enough currently for Barnsley first team.

He is without doubt making the right move.

Interesting that nobody else has tried to sign him.

200K is the best the board can get for him.

Macgennis will slot into his position nicely and we'll have forgotten about him by October

Just now, lenziebud said:

I would doubt Mallan is going anywhere near the Barnsley first team squad at the moment. He be going into development academy and we'll see if he can make it from there. He's not good enough currently for Barnsley first team.

He is without doubt making the right move.

Interesting that nobody else has tried to sign him.

200K is the best the board can get for him.

Macgennis will slot into his position nicely and we'll have forgotten about him by October

Yup. He could disappear into their reserves and get limited opportunity as a pine-rider for diddy cup games. It could go that way for him.

Let's keep an eye on things and see how he goes.