TopCat

Stephen Mallan

52 minutes ago, Hambud said:

It's the same everytime.

Young player arrives in first team.

He gets labelled "best ever talent to come through".

He signs 3 year contract everyone says well done club.

We get 1/2 good seasons out of said youngster then people say give him a new contract.

Youngster doesn't take contract and has heard of interest from a n other club.

Youngster hits dip in form.

Fans say he's useless and can go for free.

Rumours of a n other club interest goes away.

Player hits form again and interest comes back.

Fans value of the star youngster as the same as world debt, after all we'd earn that if he just stayed. So toys go out the pram at the ridiculous price we accept.

Club make statement an most people accept the position they were in. One or two continue to point at Hamilton and the millions they got for the 2 James' and slate the people in charge of our club for giving away our star youngsters.

No one on here knows the details of Hamilton's deals or how much cash they got up front. It could very well be that they only got a few hundred thousand and the add ons made this up to a potential million pound deal and Hamilton released details saying the players had been sold for loadsamoney.  

I remember it as an option for John McGinn, but hugely unlikely for a player that age to go to that level when he should be furthering his career.

Pretty sure the MLS is a higher level than the Scottish Championship.

As has been said, he could go anywhere outside the UK for free in 12 months. Best we don't risk that.

2 hours ago, doonhamer said:

For a start they can tell chancers like Barnsley where to stick such a derisory offer for the most talented player in the Scottish Championship. Scouts will have seen Mallan and reported back on his worth and value, I have no doubt he is worth multiples of 200k. Equally I have no doubt he will move on this summer but when are we going to say enough's enough and sell players for their real value?  We've had our share of baw bootings with the ridiculous under valuations of players in the past. 

This is what I mean - all of us think Mallan is a talent, worth 500k / a million / two million / a zillion. I get that. None of us, fans, chairman, Fitzy, SMiSA, the tea ladies, want to see talented players depart, certainly not on the cheap. I also get that. What I do not get, is how GLS and Fitzy can effectively tell Barnsley to fcuk off unless they come back with 750k or whatever. Not these days. They might want to, but they need to perform a balancing act here - Mallan and his agent, and any suitors, are in pole position here. Back in the day, Stevie Clarke would go to Chelsea for big money, Fergie would go to Rangers for big money, but the facts are, we are a second tier club who were battling relegation. Mallan shone brightly for a relatively short period, as did the entire team. Scottish football is skint, rooked. Players and agents hold the aces...

Look, I reckon Mallan is worth around £500k in an initial fee, with a deal struck to secure a percentage add-on to us in any future deal, but I can think that all day long... if Barnsley don't agree, then what would I do if I were in GLS or Fitzy's shoes? Haggle... do my best... argue the case... 

I am sure GLS and Fitzy will do what they can. Why wouldn't they? As chairman and CEO they are required to act in the best interests of St Mirren FC, but they just cannot tell folk to fcuk off and come back with a better offer. Not in the modern world they can't.  If they think they can get a better deal, I'm sure they'll do everything in their power to secure that better deal. Why would they roll over and take it up the arse if they think they can do something?

Edited by pozbaird

Ohhhhhh Wee Stevie Mallan,  should stay for another season on a three year deal with double his existing wages and a release clause at £1m or on us achieving promotion.

Jack Ross is undoubtedly the right person for the lad who has improved brilliantly under his guidance and Barnsley has nothing to offer in football or in any other way.  Who has heard of their manager Paul Heckinbottom and is his journeyman background (nothing wrong with that) the right thing for someone who is going to be a top class player.  Better to continue with Jack for now but make sure he has a route out when he is ready to leave next year.

Go on Stevie, you know it makes sense!

12 minutes ago, Hagleybuddies said:

Ohhhhhh Wee Stevie Mallan,  should stay for another season on a three year deal with double his existing wages and a release clause at £1m or on us achieving promotion.

Jack Ross is undoubtedly the right person for the lad who has improved brilliantly under his guidance and Barnsley has nothing to offer in football or in any other way.  Who has heard of their manager Paul Heckinbottom and is his journeyman background (nothing wrong with that) the right thing for someone who is going to be a top class player.  Better to continue with Jack for now but make sure he has a route out when he is ready to leave next year.

I'd love to see Stevie Mallan stay with us for another year, I think between Jack Ross and Stevie McGinn he could really develop in that time. The problem is what kind of message does it send to players like Morgan and Magennis - that we'll keep a hold off them no matter what. That could end up that Mallan, Morgan and Magennis all walk away when their contracts expire then other young promising players look at us as a modern day Dundee United when under Jim McLean they tied young players up on one hundred year contracts.

We have to be realistic, if there's a clause in the contract saying Stevie van go to another team if there's an offer in excess of £x, we should honour that contract even if it was the previous board that negotiated it.

21 minutes ago, Hagleybuddies said:

Jack Ross was the very definition of a journeyman player and Stevie seems to have progressed pretty well under his guidance.

Barnsley will offer Stevie a lot more than we can in footballing and financial terms...are they a big club? No they're not but that's perfect for us as the likelihood is that he'll be playing week in week out for them and if he's doing well, gain a lot of exposure. He gets the chance to go out there next season and show what he can do against genuine big name sides like Aston Villa, Leeds, Sunderland and Middlesborough.

Look at Aaron Mooy, Huddersfield aren't exactly one of the showbiz names in that league but he was their POTY and led them to the playoffs, possibly still even to the Premier League. If Mooy wasn't a Man City player, Huddersfield would be looking at cashing in with a genuine £10m+ sum for him....ridiculous stuff when you consider he couldn't even get a game for us a few years ago but that's what one season in the Championship down there can do for you.

I love the lad and I wish he'd stay...it's his time to go then and he's going to the right league and the right size of club. I've no doubt in my mind he'll go down there, make a go of it and we'll be seeing him in the Premier League within 2 or 3 seasons.

Rumours are exactly that, rumours.

I'm sure the current board won't sell a prized asset for peanuts.

Speculation from Sky Sports, report from BBC, mentioned on twitter. I'll only pay any interest when an official statement from the club or the player comes out.

If bid is 175k and it's accepted then I would be very surprised and extremely disappointed.  What's the point of ralston if you sell for peanuts.  I understand he is out of contract in one year but for goodness sake 175k. I imagine alot of fans will be disgusted at this when they see simelar teams getting more cash for the talent they rear. It makes me question the point of us and buying season books when the best young talent are sold for absolutely nowt. 175 k is utter crap

Edited by norrie82

1 minute ago, norrie82 said:

If bid is 175k and it's accepted then I would be very surprised and extremely disappointed.  What's the point of ralston if you sell for peanuts.  I understand he is out of contract in one year but for goodness sake 175k. I imagine alot of fans will be disgusted at this when they see simelar teams getting more cash for the talent they rear. It makes me question the point if us and buying season books when the best young talent are sold for absolutely nowt. 175 k is utter crap

Feck me! Give it another hour and we'll be paying THEM for the lad to go!

1 hour ago, Dalrybud said:

Thought I saw a tweet from Sky Sports saying that we'd accepted 300k. Still short of an acceptable valuation but again, depends on the add ons.

MALLAN TALKS FOR BARNSLEY

Barnsley have been given permission to speak to St Mirren midfielder Stevie Mallan, after the clubs agreed a fee of around £300,000 plus potential add-ons, according to Sky sources.

21 year old Mallan scored 11 goals for St Mirren this season, helping to keep the club in the Scottish Championship. He made his debut for St Mirren in November 2014 and has played 112 times, scoring 29 times.

300k plus additions, that will be so many first team games will activate additional money then if he moves on we get a percentage of any fee paid. The deal may be a lot better than many think. It also let's Jack Ross plan for the season early rather than later with funds we did not have. Half full glass. 

2 hours ago, Thorizaar said:

All players have zero value at all until an offer is made. If Barnsley offered £200k and there are no other offers, then £200k is his value.

I think you are confusing "value" and "cost". 

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

None of us know the details of Stevie Mallans contract which was probably agreed before Fitzpatrick and Scott took over. My guess is that Barnsley made a bid that triggered a release clause that allowed them permission to speak to him. Agents play a huge part in these contract negotiations to protect their asset.

Is Stevies agent not his dad?

22 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the 200k steal was wrote into his contract, our old board have previous in this department, they were never slow in trying to make a quick buck...  

Please fill us all in on how the old board profited from selling players on the cheap.

If Mallan isn't signing a new contract then it makes sense to sell him before the transfer window shuts in August rather than lose him for nothing in a year or sell him for peanuts in January. However, that doesn't mean we have to accept what seems to be the first offer that comes along after the season is finished when there's still three and a half months to go until the window shuts. We should only be accepting it if it's ridiculously high, which doesn't seem to be the case. Far better to drag it out a bit and either get Barnsley to up their offer or get a few other clubs involved. Makes sod all difference if he goes now, in June or July.

Mallan signed his contract after a handful of first team appearances more than two years ago so I'd be surprised if there's any sort of release clause. The season is only just finished and Ross will know Mallan is going so letting him go now hardly changes how he prepares the squad for next season.

Not that excited about add-ons and the like - good if he gets sold on as Snodgrass, McCarthy etc have been but no so good if he ends up back here in a year or so like Allan or Fyvie. Everyone is excited about the sell-on fee for McGinn but if he doesn't go this summer chances are we'll get sod all there.

Mallan has earned a move and without him we would have been relegated. However, we should be looking for a lot more up front than is being mentioned. Not only has he got a couple of years' experience under his belt, he was also a cracking player in the Premiership in a shite team so he is proven in Scotland.