Best Saints Goal You Have Witnessed

Shuggies goal at forthbank 98 might no have been a saint mirren if lost that day s,true legend who was shafted by the club

His top corner goal against airdrie at the start of the Hendrie season and the keepy uppy one against Clydebank were crackers too. Hard to believe it was the same guy that turned into the hard tackling midfielder as he got older!

Not the most spectacular but I'll never forget Donnie McDowall lobbing the Hamilton keeper for a 1-0 victory at Douglas park in the early/mid 70's. Think it was one of my first away games. Wish I'd went to Dundee to witness Mallans goal but I'm sure he'll get a better one next time I'm in town.

There's been loads. One of my favourites would have been the goal Chris Woods scored for St Mirren at Ibrox.

The John Hewitt goal, the Ian Scanlon goals against Celtic and Clydebank, the John McCormack strike against Celtic, Alex Becketts against Celtic, Billy Davies and Ian Camerons rockets against Rangers, Jimmy Bones goal versus Aberdeen, a Tony Fitzpatrick screamer against Dundee United in the Quarter Final of the Scottish Cup. Another individual one I loved was a goal scored by Billy Stark. He was taking a corner on the St Mirren left wing v Dundee United in the last minute of a tight league fixture and he blasted the ball into the area with some real venom, it struck David Narey square in the chest. Narey fell to the ground winded landing with his hands on the ball. Penalty Kick and Stark blasted that too - a thing of creative beauty.

St Mirren's goal in the Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden v Celtic was a cracker too. I think I'm right in saying it was Frank McDougall who controlled the ball on his chest before volleying home.

From the TV coverage Mallans goal is certainly good enough to challenge anything I've seen from a St Mirren player in my lifetime though, just a pity the Dundee defending was so poor.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Why are you such a tedious bore? Away and stick yer fishing rod up yer arse!

Some of the goals you describe don't even come close to the skill and execution of Mallans.

The lad is 18. His first ever goal after a handful of games. He might not go on to have a stellar career like yourself. On the other hand he might continue to work hard and develop his skills and follow in the footsteps of other young players who have moved on from Saints and won major honours elsewhere.

You would no doubt say the same about Englands defending in this goal........

Correct Slash, it's his way at having a dig at the board, just as one on here has a go at Longwell.

Edited by pod

St Mirren's goal in the Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden v Celtic was a cracker too. I think I'm right in saying it was Frank McDougall who controlled the ball on his chest before volleying home.

So unlike Herr Dixon to be erroneous.

It was Alistair Miller.

Here's proof. :)

www.britishpathe.com/workspaces/ICK/Celtic-v-St-Mirren-1959

Edited by bluto

In my experience not many people paid the tax up front on a bet that was highly unlikely. I think you are right about the 9%, seems to ring a bell.yes we paid the tax and it was 80-1 40 quid for each of us , don't think I had enough left for a taxi home on the Sunday night (lost weekend )

So, did you pay the tax when you put the bet on, or off your winnings? 4.5p (was the half penny still around then?) or £3.60 in tax?

If you did get 80-1, as has been suggested, it was still a good return.

I had a similar "hindsight is a great thing" bet in 1987. There was a crowd of us put 50p each on a double of St Mirren and Coventry to win the cups. Even though both won, we lost, as we had the bet on for over 90 minutes and both games went to extra time. f**k knows what the odds were.

So difficult to choose from so many brilliant goals. But for me personally the extra time flying header from Jimmy Bone in the semi-final of the Anglo Scottish cup at Brunden park Bolton on a cold Tuesday night, will live long I'm my memory. We actually beat a team containing the likes of Neil Whatmore Frank Worthington Len Cantello and a host of other big name players.

The feeling when Jimmy connected with that cross from I think it was Peter Weir or Lex Richardson was just magical. Last min of extra time and in the final :) only Scottish club ever to win it :)

That was a fabulous night, never to be forgotten.

Sam Allardyce scored for them.

The first leg was amazing also.

What an awesome Team we had then.

Mallan's goal is the best individual goal ive seen in a long time, but my favourite goal is this team one:

Why can't we play in a strip like that more often , the stripes , at least we look like a decent team in a decent strip.

On topic, Mallans was individual brilliance, one of the best you'll ever see, can you imagine the play backs on TV that would have been involved if Ronaldo or Messi or some player in England has scored like Mallan, it would be endless.

Team wise, cannot pick, I'll be loving our next goal every bit as much as anything previous.

From the TV coverage Mallans goal is certainly good enough to challenge anything I've seen from a St Mirren player in my lifetime though, just a pity the Dundee defending was so poor.

That's right, every team in the league has scored a goal like that against Dundee....

Don't rise guys. Seems SD is morphing back into a Saints supporter again anyhow.

FWIW Scan's goal is the best I've seen. Remember Packie Bonner diving out of the way the ball was struck so hard for fear it broke his fingers. My memory might have been exaggerated slightly...

Also loved Stephen McGinn's goal against the team that is no more. From my seat there was almost a pause as it flew past the keeper before seeing it whether it was on target or not. Great strike. Again the defending was terrible tongue.png. In fact all games should finish 0-0. tongue.png

Why are you such a tedious bore? Away and stick yer fishing rod up yer arse!

Some of the goals you describe don't even come close to the skill and execution of Mallans.

The lad is 18. His first ever goal after a handful of games. He might not go on to have a stellar career like yourself. On the other hand he might continue to work hard and develop his skills and follow in the footsteps of other young players who have moved on from Saints and won major honours elsewhere.

You would no doubt say the same about Englands defending in this goal........

Are you seriously asking? Look at the state of the England defence that day. Maradona shows skill to beat Beardsley and Reid and he clearly out paces Reid who appears to be blowing out of his arse; Samson is nowhere in the picture - as Ray Kennedy says - he'd decided to go for a wander when he was instructed to defend; Butchers "tackle" is laughable, and Fenwick lands up isolated and easily beaten, Shilton then goes to ground far too early and makes it far too easy for Maradona to score. If there is a manual on how not to defend this would surely be prominent. I would say Mallan's goal showed more skill and trickery since he clearly didn't have Maradona's driving pace - but for all that it doesn't take away from the fact that the Dundee defending was horrific.

You're perfectly correct that some of the goals I describe didn't show as much skill - everyone knows that. Woods fumbling a cross into his own net is hardly a feat of great skill but that's not the question being posed. It was "what is the best St Mirren goal I've witnessed", not the most skilful; not the most players beaten on route to goal. So to that end surely it's as much about my enjoyment of the goal being scored as it is about the technical ability of the player scoring the goal.

That was a fabulous night, never to be forgotten.

Sam Allardyce scored for them.

The first leg was amazing also.

What an awesome Team we had then.

We had a fabulous side in 1980 and so did Bolton. The game itself and the atmosphere was just crazy, they scored twice through big Sam and we thought all was lost until Jimmy Bone won it at the death with that magnificent header.

The locals were less than impressed and decided to attack us with everything at the end. It was raining bottles bricks and stones, we cowered against the wall until they stopped.

The celebrations afterwards and on the way home will stay with me and my Brother ( Thompsons dropped it) till we die.

Brilliant memories ☺️

We had a fabulous side in 1980 and so did Bolton. The game itself and the atmosphere was just crazy, they scored twice through big Sam and we thought all was lost until Jimmy Bone won it at the death with that magnificent header.

The locals were less than impressed and decided to attack us with everything at the end. It was raining bottles bricks and stones, we cowered against the wall until they stopped.

The celebrations afterwards and on the way home will stay with me and my Brother ( Thompsons dropped it) till we die.

Brilliant memories ☺️

Aye, the Bolton fans were a bit grumpy lol.gif

F*CKEM !!!

The Saints went marching on clap.gif