Why Is Two Dicks Still A Referee?

Scottish football must be in some mess if Willie Collum is our number one referee. On each occasion I have watched games where he has been the man in the middle, he has managed to do what successive peace ambassadors since Henry Kissinger have failed to do and always unite opposing factions - in their disbelief at how bad his decision making is! Today, leaving the ground, even the Killie fans were baffled by his awards of 3 penalties and many other incidents.

His ineptitude was summed up for me today when on awarding us penalty, BOTH sets of fans were singing "you don't know what you're doing!"

An old business acquaintance, a former Grade 1 referee with a load of European experience, once told me that if fans on all sides hate you then you're a good referee. His opinion was that all football fans fail to understand the game without 20 replays from every angle and none of them could referee an under 5 game without totally cocking it up. Interesting that Willie Collum is highly rated by the authorities at both home and abroad but universally berated by fans. Having known several Grade 1 refs right back to the 70's I don't believe that any of them have an agenda with particular clubs or "even things up". Sure they make mistakes but to to assign any sort of malice to it is just plain daft.

An old business acquaintance, a former Grade 1 referee with a load of European experience, once told me that if fans on all sides hate you then you're a good referee. His opinion was that all football fans fail to understand the game without 20 replays from every angle and none of them could referee an under 5 game without totally cocking it up. Interesting that Willie Collum is highly rated by the authorities at both home and abroad but universally berated by fans. Having known several Grade 1 refs right back to the 70's I don't believe that any of them have an agenda with particular clubs or "even things up". Sure they make mistakes but to to assign any sort of malice to it is just plain daft.

Although, if neither side are suggesting that you have an agenda, yet both believe you to be incompetent, it could just as easily mean that you are a truly abysmal referee, rather than a good one, and all players and fans may not in fact be simpletons. Unless believing that you are always right, and everyone else is always wrong has become a positive personality trait, and refereeing is the only profession known to man where each and every practitioner is excellent at his or her job.

Refs make mistakes because they have an impossible task. The officiating of football is embarrassingly primitive compared to other sports. The laws of the game are vague, and sometimes downright daft(examples available). The biggest problem the refs have is that they haven't got enough help, which results in them often having to guess their decisions, and that leaves them open to derision after the aforementioned twenty replays show them up. If you were inventing football again you would have more officials on the park with greater use of technology to get it right.

Finally, 'evening up'. If it doesn't go on, the refs may not be human, after all. The same as the obedience/conformity of big clubs getting the decisions. It's in-built human nature.

FIFY

I know a lot of grade 1 lawyers who think the law is not an ass, and that top silks are worth every penny and that ordinary punters are too thick to know what's right and what's wrong.

As Dirty Sanchez above points out, there was no suggestion in my post that I, on this occasion or on any other believe he was showing bias. The fact that his decisions were met with bafflement and shaking heads all round the ground is a bit of an indication that something is wrong.

I normally have tremendous sympathy for referees and wish that their governing body would allow them to explain their decisions after the match rather than having to leave their reasons open to interpretation by forums such as these. Collum, however, makes too many inexplicable decisions to receive any sympathy.

Can I repeat my question from the game topic?

"What I don't understand is when 7 or 8 players jump over the advertising hoarding and towards the crowd that only one gets booked.

Where's the logic in that?

Surely all of them should have been booked.

Can someone quote me the law that says that only the first guy over the hoarding gets booked?

Or is it the the guy who scored the goal is the only player able to be given a yellow card for going over the hoarding?

Does this mean if we score a goal that the goal scorer can wave every other player past him and over the hoarding and no one is given a yellow card?"

Referees are terrible in the spfl, they act like prima donnas - especially collum, the fact that they cannot explain their decisions to the general public is aiding and abetting their over-inflated self importance, some refs around the world can handle this situation because they are truly good at the job. Others get away with being amateurs, make them all full-time and give them the minimum wage with their extra £800 available as a bonus if they have a good game, they are paid far too much for doing a poor job.

Not surprised to hear such breathtaking arrogance from a group who seem to see themselves as some sort of elite within the game. The best refs are the ones that no-one bothers with, notices or knows who they are. They shouldn't be the main talking point in any game and that happens so frequently now.

It isn't an easy job but they don't make it easy for themselves at times. The most blatant bookable offence in yesterday's game (in the 1st half, when their centre half brought down McLear after he'd beaten two and was going to be clear down the right) didn't earn a booking. Then he starts awarding penalties and bringing out the yellow and red cards galore in the 2nd half. Why not just referee a game consistently from the 1st minute to the last? Then the players and paying public may have an idea of what is going to constitute a booking.

Graeme MCPherson's match report , yes match report WIlie , it's about the game, not you, sums up Willie feckin Collum perfectly.

As I said earlier, when he is listed as officiating in a game involving us , it takes a part of me away from football altogether, he is truly abysmal.

If ever an odd look was built for a ref , he has the patent.

They shouldn't be the main talking point in any game and that happens so frequently now.

Only the main talking point because managers, fans and media make it that way. Players and managers make more mistakes than referees but as they tend to be less high profile mistakes, they are quickly forgotten about. Although you could argue that every goal ever scored is the result of a mistake of some sort.

I'd rather hear Teale explain why he set the team up in a way that failed to create a single shot on target rather than hear him say the refs decisions will impact him getting the job or not.

Edited by Thorizaar

Willie Fcuking Collum.... Penalty for Aberdeen and a red card for Motherwell's McManus - his crime? Made a superb goaline clearance with his shoulder as a shot was belted towards goal.

Collum is a fcuking useless cnut.

Never a penalty or a sending off. The reverse angle TV pictures from Sky showed that perfectly. It's a shame the TV pictures from the St Mirren game weren't as conclusive.

My thoughts at the match was that I didn't see much wrong with McAuslands challenge but assumed that he must have had a fistful of shirt in his left hand. The McLean sending off looked harsh, but McLean gave the referee a decision to make. His charge at the Killie player to square him up did look like he'd stuck the head into his opponent, then McLean had his pushing and shoving match with two more players before making comments aimed towards the referee. To me at the match it looked like McLean had lost the plot - maybe it did to the ref too. One thing is for sure if McLean hadn't been so stupid and hadn't got involved St Mirren would have had a free kick, a Killie player would have been booked and McLean would still have been on the park.

The second Killie penalty was offside. The ball out to the left wing was right inline with where I was sitting and the linesman should have flagged. I do think there was contact between Mallen and McGennis and that the ref possibly did get that right but the linesman to me made the wrong call by several yards.

Couldn't comment on the St Mirren penalty because I'd left by that point, however TV pictures seem to show there was no foul on Goodwin and that it should never have been a penalty.

Collum is one of our highest qualified referee's and one of our most experienced.