Kenny Mclean

I swear you boys are completely deluded if you think anybody is going to pay £1m for Kenny.

At the top of his game he probably is a £1m player, but he is rarely at that level.

Do you guys actually believe we will get seven figure money for Kenny or are you just dreaming that we will?

I think you are just dreaming personally.

Why on earth would anybody pay top money now, when they could have had him in summer for peanuts?

Kenny's performances have been better this season, but not that much better that teams are all of a sudden going to start falling over each other while trying to throw silly money at us.

What we as fans think he is worth and what someone is willing to pay are two entirely different things.

One of the following 4 scenario's are likely to happen I'm afraid.

1. Kenny will be sold for no more than 250k

or

2. There will be no more bids for him.

or

3. Someone will sign him next January for a nominal fee(50kish)

or

4. Kenny will sign a PCA with someone next January and leave for free in summer 2016.

Bonus!

We got 25k more than what I predicted a month ago.

Edited by Tony Fitzy

Why wasn't this deal done earlier in the window? Seemingly McInness met McLean a while ago, and it is not like Aberdeen were waiting to the last second to put in a low bid if St Mirren were just going to accept anything over 250k.

At least if we had some warning we could have brought Stephen McGinn in as a replacement.

Does our youth system now exist to feed Aberdeen & Dundee? A depressing thought.

Why wasn't this deal done earlier in the window? Seemingly McInness met McLean a while ago, and it is not like Aberdeen were waiting to the last second to put in a low bid if St Mirren were just going to accept anything over 250k.

At least if we had some warning we could have brought Stephen McGinn in as a replacement.

Does our youth system now exist to feed Aberdeen & Dundee? A depressing thought.

You KNOW all clubs exist to feed the club's further up the food chain.

It is what it is.

Still gutted about Mclean leaving, can’t get my head round why we would let him leave just now when he could go in the summer for the same amount and potentially keep us up in the next few months. Hope it is not down to the board wanting out.

Mcginn needs to step up and rediscover the form of last season, he has been really poor the last couple of games especially (by his standards). Obviously he is not the same type of player as Mclean but between Mcginn and Mallan they are definitely capable of making us forget about Mclean.

Bonus!

We got 25k more than what I predicted a month ago.

I think what most people are getting at, is the fact other players from smaller clubs are receiving higher transfer fees for less experienced players and by a very large margin.

You cant tell us the boy Macleod from the zombies for example justifies his sale price against McLeans?

You KNOW all clubs exist to feed the club's further up the food chain.

It is what it is.

Which makes you wonder why few top league clubs successfully dip into the lower leagues in Scotland for players. I would like to see us try that more often, rather than the current fashion of bringing in loanee after loanee from dahn saaf.

I think what most people are getting at, is the fact other players from smaller clubs are receiving higher transfer fees for less experienced players and by a very large margin.

You cant tell us the boy Macleod from the zombies for example justifies his sale price against McLeans?

The reality is that no one was prepared to offer more than Aberdeen. Nothing St.Mirren could do about it.

Our best player for 300k. What a contrast to the likes of Utd, Hamilton and even Falkirk we really are. He's been sold to a direct rival for about a third of his current valuation. Gutted about it but life goes on.

Good luck Kenny.

His current valuation is what he was sold for. Making a figure up isn't his valuation as no club has ever came close to even thinking about offering such figures.

The reality is that no one was prepared to offer more than Aberdeen. Nothing St.Mirren could do about it.

St Mirren have created the problem

They continue to sell on the cheap

It's like going into poundland

You won't pay over the price

Dundee Utd and Hamilton have shown they won't be bullied and stick to their guns

It's been said that when McLean was out of contract in the summer, no club was willing to pay the development fee for him. If that was the case, then he didn't really have much option but to re-sign for us in the summer?

There's probably an element of being wise after the event in all this - no-one expected the season to be such a disaster, and not many could have expected Kenny to become such an important player for us, but when we look at deals for similar, or poorer players, it really makes us look cheap and amateurish.

Everyone laughed and scoffed at Fleetwood's bid, but they weren't too far off the mark in their valuation, and were certainly closer to the fee Aberdeen paid than a lot of us thought.

It's been said that when McLean was out of contract in the summer, no club was willing to pay the development fee for him. If that was the case, then he didn't really have much option but to re-sign for us in the summer?

There's probably an element of being wise after the event in all this - no-one expected the season to be such a disaster, and not many could have expected Kenny to become such an important player for us, but when we look at deals for similar, or poorer players, it really makes us look cheap and amateurish.

Everyone laughed and scoffed at Fleetwood's bid, but they weren't too far off the mark in their valuation, and were certainly closer to the fee Aberdeen paid than a lot of us thought.

I expect it is like buying certain other "commodities" , there is always someone with knowledge that will know what the market value of that item is and then know what would be a decent bid knowing that there may well be a bit of negotiation required and as far as other bodies are concerned St Mirren appear to be a buyers market and that will be known by the "experts" , who will look at past transactions etc before arriving at a figure . .

Tell me it was a bad dream... please!

Wish i could, but i can tell you the buds who think that £275k is going to fund players are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Our Bod have shipped out a handful of duds off the books, got Yohan The Red, and Captain Red Beard Dayton for hee-haw, GAVE! mcLean away whilst Accies trousered another million, and the BoD hope by letting everyone know we are after a great lad from Spurs would appease the masses.

unveil an 18 year old who's never kicked a professional football in his puff!

Jeez whats so hard about getting the market value for a bloody good young footballer, that seems easy in Lanarkshire, but beyond anyone in Renfrewshire?

we won the cup in 87 without Steve Clarke Ian Scanlon and others we thought we couldn't replace...then soon after Ian Ferguson was gone. McAvennie, McDougall were just memories.

We will survive the loss of Kenny McLean but it really is a sickener.

When I say survive, I'm not sure I mean surviving in the top league this season!

I expect it is like buying certain other "commodities" , there is always someone with knowledge that will know what the market value of that item is and then know what would be a decent bid knowing that there may well be a bit of negotiation required and as far as other bodies are concerned St Mirren appear to be a buyers market and that will be known by the "experts" , who will look at past transactions etc before arriving at a figure . .

I think it is a LOT simpler than that.

If there was a release clause in Kenny's contract, then he, and more importantly his agent, would know precisely what that was.

Call from agent to Aberdeen - offer £275k, and he's yours.

The big problem was caused by poor negotiations during the summer.

It's clear Kenny is as good or better a player than several who went for many times his transfer fee yesterday - but the contract we had with him meant that the value was always going to be the case.

Hugely frustrating in so many ways.

Brentford's coach is "a Rrangerrrs Man". That may have contributed to McLeod's inflated price - which was, I believe closer to £75k than a million (which still makes my mind boggle...).

Similarly, Alex Neill at Norwich is now doing what DL did to Cowdenbeath - giving a helping hand up for talent that he can rely on and that has been doing him a favour whilst he was there.

It doesn't make you feel better but there is that distorting impact made upon the transaction process.