Kenny Mclean

If Kenny McLean rejected in the summer the best contract St Mirren can afford to give him, with assurances that any bid deemed acceptable by the club would be accepted. That's beyond the boards control. We move on, and will see Kenny McLean's new club at a tribunal for compensation.

However to agree basically to a release clause of such low value, which doesn't take into account his form, market value now, the time of the bid, his importance to our team and our league position is farcical IMO.

Where would we be now if Kenny hadn't been in our team this summer?

More than likely bottom of the league.

In summer we couldn't get a compensation fee for him, but now we have that fee plus we got 6 great months out of him.

The timing of the bid was the sickener for me.

Sorry, but the person who signs the contract holds all the aces because if he doesn't sign then there is NO contract.

Kenny obviously only agreed to sign on his terms.

Go onto the official site and read the comment re Kenny. The player decided he would sign a new contract. Our supporters, our management team and, quite obviously, our BoD's all felt Kenny was a player worth having. IF we hadn't offered a contract worthy of the name he would have been able to leave for nowt. I'm pretty certain he would have got another club under those conditions.

I'm as upset as many about him leaving but, let's be honest, we were accusing him of inconsistency last season.

After calming down and reading the statement I now believe, contrary to my first inclination, that the Board did what they could to get McLean to sign. It's another piece of bad luck that he played so well for us during the first part of the season!whistling.gif

Nail on the head!

Go onto the official site and read the comment re Kenny. The player decided he would sign a new contract. Our supporters, our management team and, quite obviously, our BoD's all felt Kenny was a player worth having. IF we hadn't offered a contract worthy of the name he would have been able to leave for nowt. I'm pretty certain he would have got another club under those conditions.

I'm as upset as many about him leaving but, let's be honest, we were accusing him of inconsistency last season.

After calming down and reading the statement I now believe, contrary to my first inclination, that the Board did what they could to get McLean to sign. It's another piece of bad luck that he played so well for us during the first part of the season!whistling.gif

If McLean was offered a new deal, rejected it, and signed for someone else then we would be due compensation. He couldn't leave and we get nothing.

At last....On the Money right there.

I can't see how so many on here can't grasp why Kenny's move went through from the Content of the Club Statement.

Post above puts the case perfectly. Get over it. I just want to look forward to the next game now, 'cause the Forum is drowning in needless greetin'.

However to agree basically to a release clause of such low value, which doesn't take into account his form, market value now, the time of the bid, his importance to our team and our league position is farcical IMO.

A player's market value is not what fans think he's worth but is what other clubs are willing to pay for him. People on here were valuing Kenny at way over the odds, anything between £500,000 and £1M. Face it, despite all the hype he's been available for about 2 years and nobody was willing to part with hard cash for him. During his last contract I think we turned down a bid of about £200,000 and turned it down because it was less than the compo we were due. Once that contract ended, Kenny held all the cards and his agents could veto any release value above the level of compensation due. Saints had to offer him a better contract than he was previously on because if it was less he could walk away for free and no compo would be due. He got a better contract offer and with no other offer on the table at the time he signed on the condition that the release value was set at the level of compo we would be due.

Had he not signed I believe he would have been put on to monthly contracts at the previous contract level until he could leave and the club would have received the compo they were due (at least that's what used to happen - it might have changed). Had this happened I don't think it would have benefited club or player. We got the highest price bid and nobody was willing to bid more.

At the end of the day, the guy is gone.

He is no longer a St Mirren player.

He chose to leave us.

Get over it people. Better players than Kenny have come and gone.

The following sentence should be enough to have the name Kenny Mclean banished to General nonsense:

"Kenny Mclean of Aberdeen FC"

At the end of the day, the guy is gone.

He is no longer a St Mirren player.

He chose to leave us.

Get over it people. Better players than Kenny have come and gone.

The following sentence should be enough to have the name Kenny Mclean banished to General nonsense:

"Kenny Mclean of Aberdeen FC"

Tbh it's more about the principle than the player.

Having your best player pinched on deadline day, with hours to go. And Aberdeen haven't had to pay over the odds to get him.

Is the youth set up really worth it, if the best players we produce leave for developmental fees at most?

Are we destined to repeat this charade with messers McGinn, Mallon, Naismith and Kelly?

Having your best player pinched on deadline day, with hours to go. And Aberdeen haven't had to pay over the odds to get him.

Is the youth set up really worth it, if the best players we produce leave for developmental fees at most?

Are we destined to repeat this charade with messers McGinn, Mallon, Naismith and Kelly?

That's my point

We had the same carry on with Lappin

It seems lessons aren't learned when drawing up contracts

Totally agree with this and the chances of this charade being repeated look pretty high. Has Mcginn not already knocked back a contract? His head was spinning after a day at a Sheffield United game. If these young guys and their agents don't help the club recoup the investment made in them then we are stuffed and these guys should think about that. The injuries to McLean at every window did work against the BoD but surely we need to learn some lessons from this. The BoD have to flush out the guys that want to leave and then punt them when it suits the club.

Simple fact is we got 275k for him and nobody was even prepared to MATCH Aberdeen's bid.

Like I have said about a 1000 times on this thread, we as fans can value him at what we like, but if nobody is prepared to pay it, then he ain't worth it. SIMPLE.

The BOD could have put a 500k get out clause in the contract, but nobody would have paid it.

Aberdeen certainly wouldn't have and nobody else would have or they would have been sniffing around yesterday at 275k.

Edited by Tony Fitzy

Simple fact is we got 275k for him and nobody was even prepared to MATCH Aberdeen's bid.

Like I have said about a 1000 times on this thread, we as fans can value him at what we like, but if nobody is prepared to pay it, then he ain't worth it. SIMPLE.

The BOD could have put a 500k get out clause in the contract, but nobody would have paid it.

Aberdeen certainly wouldn't have and nobody else would have or they would have been sniffing around yesterday at 275k.

Why put in a get out clause in the first place?

Hamilton,Dundee Utd and Falkirk don't seem to do this going by the money they seem to get

Anyway going round in circles in this

Myself and a few others are in this way of thinking

Others see the Board do no wrong

I'm out

Hamilton,Dundee Utd and Falkirk don't seem to do this going by the money they seem to get

I'm out

Obviously Kenny demanded it.... No get out clause = No signature

I'm out

The boards silence of late on most matters has been shocking, but I definitely don't hold them responsible for Kenny leaving yesterday for such a low fee.

Fair enough they agreed to let him leave should a sufficient offer come in, but I don't see how 275K is a sufficient offer.

it was the higher of 2 offers made.

nobody came in behind the Fleetwood offer until Aberdeen enquired, quoting the magic number

the market says that is all he is currently worth, had the club reneged then he would have been a passenger for the remainder of his contract

best of a bad situation, really

Time to get over it guys.

Sold for too little in my opinion and will be a phenomenal bargain from an Aberdeen perspective, but time to wish him all the best and move on.

No player is bigger than the club. The timing is rotten, but we have a real fight on our hands to stay up. If Kenny didn't see himself as part of that fight then that is his prerogative and fair play to him, it's a short career after all.

Time to get back behind Saints and their current players...