Kenny Mclean

Sometimes we have to let our better players go , to be fair to them , its why young players might sign for a club like Saints , because they will be given a chance in the first team , and will be allowed to go and progress to a bigger club if a decent offer comes in.

At this period in time we have a small squad that needs strengthening , and a player that is sought after and who could maybe be sold to firstly balance the clubs books , and secondly generate a wee bit of money to add three or four players to the squad.

In an ideal world I would have liked us to keep Kenny McLean , but if selling him means we can bring in a central defender , a striker and an attacking midfielder during the break , then selling him might not be such a bad thing.

But first and foremost we need to appoint a manager , who is able to identify a couple of decent transfer targets.

McLean will move on, just like any other truly talented player plying their trade at a club like St Mirren, Accies, or suchlike. I have no problem with that. A 150k bid from a club like Fleetwood, IMHO should be a non-starter for both the club and the player.

If we did sell him in this transfer window, given our current plight and search for a manager, I seriously wonder just how much 'strengthening' we could do with something like £150k - £250k.

What calibre of striker and/or CB could we attract that would see us finish any higher than where we currently sit? I highlighted what McLean brings to St Mirren. He isn't consistent, doesn't shine in every game, but if he did, he'd be in Everton or Swansea or West Ham's first XI by now.

McLean has also shown a lot of passion in recent games. I want him to get a good move, but right now, we need him, and other guys who patently care about the jersey, more than we need what approx' £200k could get us.

We'd likely get another Ball or a Drury loanee type who would need an iPad and Google to find out where Paisley is.

Problem with McLean is that he will, no doubt, have insisted on some sort of release clause if an interested party meets a certain value. I don't think it will be £150k but would be very surprised if it is more than double that.

I also don't think McLean expects to see out the full term of his deal.

Problem with McLean is that he will, no doubt, have insisted on some sort of release clause if an interested party meets a certain value. I don't think it will be £150k but would be very surprised if it is more than double that.

I also don't think McLean expects to see out the full term of his deal.

None of us do

At the moment i rather if someone would come in for McGinn as he will be away in the summer

But unless he starts chipping in with some goals no chance

If Kenny was sold for for less than 500k I would be very surprised that the board accepted it. Kenny has been a regular u21 international and played top flight football for a number of years.

Christ look at what rangers got for that boy they sold and he's done far less than Kenny in the game

McLean transfer money allows us to strengthen in key areas? A CB and striker?

Fair enough, but even if we DO bring in those players, we will have just lost our most talented creative midfielder, who could play up front when required, delivers a sweet dead ball, is a scoring threat from free kicks, is reliable from the penalty spot, and, like Charlie Adam, is capable of belting them from forty yards out.

How are we going to fill that hole?

Thomas+Reilly+St+Mirren+v+Newcastle+Unit

If Kenny was sold for for less than 500k I would be very surprised that the board accepted it. Kenny has been a regular u21 international and played top flight football for a number of years.

Christ look at what rangers got for that boy they sold and he's done far less than Kenny in the game

But if we don't sell him in January does he not leave for free in the summer?

Saints turn down Fleetwoood bid................................

Jane Lewis
‏@BBCJaneLewis #StMirren reject bid from #Fleetwood for Kenny McLean. The say the offer (of around £150 thousand) does not match their valuation of player.

We are literally the slowest-moving football club in the f**king cosmos.

I was about to take the piss out of HSS for posting old news, then realised that that is, indeed, a legit update. It's just that SMFC took a few days to reach the same conclusion that took the rest of the world all of two seconds.

Teale also said he thought McLean would do well at Championship level, so I am sure that puts down a marker about the size of club and type of fee that could be in McLean's release clause in his contract.

I agree with Teale. Kenny will run the show against Falkirk, Queens and Dumbarton next season.

The very fact the board have made an official statement re this today suggests to me that we're going to cash in on him this time round.

I just hope it's for the right price and in Kenny's case to the right club.

Edited by Rabinho

The very fact the board have made an official statement re this today suggests to me that we're going to cash in on him this time round.

We still have his usual January injury to come which tends to scupper any potential move.

They made a very similar statement when Sheffield Utd came in for McGinn, I don't think it means anything.

I agree with Teale. Kenny will run the show against Falkirk, Queens and Dumbarton next season.

Not according to one or two of our supporters who seem to think that if we go down that will be the end of our club 1eye.gif Melodramatic to say the least.

You sure?

I thought the very same thing about Lambert when we dropped to the old Div 1... ... his performance in the opening day 7 goal hammering by Raith was a sign of things to come... he disappeared in that league.

Skilful players play better the bigger the stage to perform on.